“Big Disappointment”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
new york
“Big Disappointment”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

While architecturally beautiful, this hotel suffers from a disinterested staff and subpar accommodations.

A request for a room change from a dismally dark and drab room overlooking an ugly neighboring roof (and this room was classified as Premier Deluxe - yikes!) was met with annoyance from the front desk. Despite the hotel's own web site showing numerous available rooms, we were told there was only one other room in the whole hotel - a much smaller room directly across the hall from the elevator.

There is also loud construction going on during the day in the restaurant area which reverberates throughout the entire lobby. Overall, this is a soulless, albeit beautiful, place to avoid.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank vrybo7
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear Guest,

I apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay in the hotel. I will follow up with my team as soon as possible in regards to your desire to change rooms. We are pleased to honor requests for different rooms when availability allows. Construction for our bar renovation is taking place in the hotel and we look forward to the debut of this updated space in January 2013 in time for the Presidential Inauguration. If you wish to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me directly at ammar.samad@stregis .com or 202-580-6784.

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The hotel is very lovely and the service is good along with a great location but the rooms are small. I found it very expensive for what you get but it is a marvelous looking building and furnishing. The restaurant was good and the waitstaff was attentive.

Room Tip: The room was quiet and comfortable but very small.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CThrasherUsher
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We wish to welcome you back to the St. Regis upon your next trip to Washington, D.C.

White Plains, New York
Reviewed 29 November 2012

My wife and I stayed at the St. Regis recently to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary, which also happens to fall on Thanksgiving this year. We live in White Plains, NY and this was the first time for both of us in Washington, D.C. since we were kids. This anniversary, it was my turn to pick the hotel. I chose the St. Regis because of how close it is to the White House and all the sites and because of its reputation as a top hotel. We were not disappointed.

We really loved our room, especially the beautiful chandelier, which gave the place and old world elegance and charm. The TV in the bathroom mirror was also a really cool surprise.

I called the Concierge to arrange for flowers, but it was Thanksgiving and short notice. Everything was closed. Jair put together a beautiful flower bouquet for us with flowers taken from the centerpiece in the lobby! Wow. Now that's the kind of service you expect from a luxury hotel. We were really bowled over by the staff's willingness to go above and beyond. This is a story we'll be telling for a long time.

The only reason we're rating them a 4 and not a 5 is because there was no spa, which would've been icing on the cake.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 November 2012

As a background, I’ve stayed at numerous St. Regis, Luxury Collection and Waldorf Hotels – mostly for the experience – and for leisure. For business, I’ll stay at the regular Hiltons and Sheratons. So I write from a perspective more expectant of leisure, than a business eye here. I’m also a SPG Platinum with large number of nights, pushing the ambassador level for this year.
Here are the plusses:
1. The location is really the best of almost all DC hotels – All the subways are 2 blocks away. The white house is 2 blocks away. And you can walk to Georgetown or Dupont Circle or drive there in 5 minutes.
2. The hotel lobby is beautiful
3. Adour is a great restaurant. Expensive, but very very good.
4. The suites are very nice – in terms of quality of finish.
5. Pricing is not overly outrageous, compared to NY.
Some of the negatives
I don’t aim to be picky. The reason I choose the St. Regis or equivalent hotels is to enjoy the next level of service. Some of the items I would overlook at lesser hotels – but I must mention that most of them I don’t encounter at lower end Sheratons even. But when things go amiss at a hotel which claims to be a fabulous stay – it is especially glaring.
1. The staff – as much as I want to say that this is the strength of any hotel, it is quite the converse here. Don’t get me wrong, the doormen and the staff at the restaurant –Adour (Especially) are very good. The front desk staff is a bit awkward. For example – I went to my room, they had a welcome card with someone else’s name on it – which was quite embarrassing for my wife to discover. I took it down to the front desk – all they said was – oh sorry. It was not rude, but at a hotel like the St. Regis, I would expect a very quick correction – either chocolates, a drink or at the very least a small replacement card or gesture of some sort to make up for the awkwardness.
2. The lack of a lounge is a small negative, but overlooked. The lack of an evening happy hour (barring the nice champagne opening) is a slightly bigger one, but overall a social hour would be nice.
3. Butler service – never thought I’d say it. But it is. I usually enjoy the service – this is the fourth st. regis I’ve stayed at this year and have found the service to be great. The staff does seem abrupt, not rude, but not overly friendly either. Especially since there is not coffee maker in the room, or ice, you have to call them for it – in my case twice a day atleast.
4. The housekeeping – someone else also mentioned this point. The beds seem like I could have made them up. Same with the towels in the bathroom. Small items like not replacing the plastic cups used to rinse at the table, not replacing the bottled water etc etc. Its really not upto snuff.
5. Some of the amenities – dvd player missing, two fused bulbs in the room.
6. The rooms without tubs may not be as nice. They are not overly large, and the layout is a bit awkward. The tubs are difficult to get in and out of.
7. Breakfast – surprising. In my opinion, the Adour should not be part of the platinum amenity continental breakfast. I ate breakfast three times at the Adour and once a dinner. For the breakfasts, I ordered off the menu every single time – Its great. It is a wonderful restaurant, and it feels a little low brow to have to get a continental barebones breakfast there. It is expensive though – Two breakfastst were USD 80 without the tip – with coffee, entrée, a side, juice and water.
Other tips – If you don’t want to pay 50+tips for the valet - park in a garage, the signs are confusing. Celebrate at Adour for lunch or dinner. Walk back from Georgetown or Dupont after a meal. Walk to the white house, take a tour of the capitol, walk the mall, the smithsonians etc. Avoid Georgia Browns around the corner, its really bad.
Here is a conundrum I face - and I compare across hotels in Europe, Asia and the US. Tipping is something very unique to the American psyche - and it may have some merits, but in the case of St. Regis's butler service, there is a bit of a grey area. I tip liberally, but in this situation, I dont really want to do it in my bathrobe, or fish for change, or try and break a twenty dollar bill, and tip at every instance I require butler service – to make tea, get ice, or any other item. Additionally, how many butlers do you tip, the same person is not around all the time.

Room Tip: make sure to close your blinds, street noise and light can keep you up at night on floors 2 and 3.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Freq_Traveler_101
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for thoughtful feedback. I will address the opportunities you presented. The information your provided certainly allows us to improve the service we provide.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you have any additional thoughts. I can be reached at ammar.samad@stregis.com or 202-580-6784. I look forward to meeting you in the future.

Best Regards & Happy Holidays,

St. Louis
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I stayed with my family at the gorgeous St. Regis Hotel in Washington, D.C. at the end of September. It was my wife's birthday, so I asked Jair, the concierge, to order a birthday cake for her. The hotel's restaurant, Adour, made the cake and it turned out beautiful and delicious. My wife was happy and surprised. Thank you, Jair, and thank you, Adour! Jair was always very gracious in answering all our questions and making recommendations and he did a wonderful job in booking the city tour with Rick for us. We thoroughly enjoyed Rick's knowledge of the city and he was fun and entertaining.

Overall, we found the service at the St. Regis to be exceptional. The front desk and bell staff were all friendly and nice. They greeted us every time and it felt very warm and welcoming. The St. Regis is a pricier hotel, but well worth the extra cost. My only complaint is that the hotel charges for wifi. I've stayed in many luxury hotels where the wifi is complimentary. I do plan to stay here again with my family.

Room Tip: Ask for complimentary gym passes, and for the use of the Club down the street which has a pool and s...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and are very pleased that you enjoyed the type of service which St. Regis is known for. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Should've known better when the rates were less than $200 and I thought it was the holiday season. Anyways, check in to the room and find out the sheets are dirty as in not washed and reeking of BO. Called the desk to have them replace the sheets and then find out the headboard is not attached to the bed (which, naturally has wheels) and so when you lay down, the bed starts rolling away from the headboard...checked out a day early eventhough i prepaid for 2 nights and when i mentioned the bed the staff seemed to be aware of this issue(why no one fixed it, only god knows) met with a friend at the lobby during the day and the entire time they were hanging christmas decorations so any shot of having a business meeting was shot and the waiter was awful. Horrible, horrible hotel with terrible staff (concierge desk had couple of very helpful folks). Don't go even if it's free

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Murugan C
Dear Guest,

I apologize that you do not feel as though your stay lived up to St. Regis standards. I appreciate your feedback and will certainly follow up with housekeeping as the issue with the sheets is unacceptable. We have ample meeting space within the hotel that can be booked in advance for business meetings if a quiet space is required. If you wish to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me directly at 202-580-6784 or ammar.samad@stregis.com.

Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stayed 3 night at the St. Regis for a wedding. This hotel was absolutely beautiful. The staff is very welcoming and they are always very attentive. The room service is 5 star! Everything in this hotel is 5 star. From the furnishings to the tv in the bathroom mirror. The concierge are at your beck and call. The butlers are very helpful as well. I will not stay anywhere else in DC ever again!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to hear of your experience while staying with us. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.