“Terrific service”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #25 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The hotel is absolutely lovely and equally so is the service and staff. I stayed for business and thoroughly enjoyed the lobby and lobby bar, which are beautfiful spaces well-suited to socialize or work. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: External facing rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your experience at the St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our lobby, lobby bar and the service that you received from members of our "lovely" staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation's capital. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.!

Director of Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (1,309)

Reviewed 22 January 2014

The staff was simply unbelievable -- accommodating, friendly, and at your service. I am not a fan of gin, but the Capital Mary made at the lobby bar is excellent -- wonderful experience and highly recommend this hotel..

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your experience at the “simply unbelievable” St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the service you received from members of our “accommodating, friendly” staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. I am also glad that you enjoyed one of the signature cocktails at the St. Regis Bar, the “Capital Mary.” Did you know that the original Bloody Mary cocktail (called the “Red Snapper”) was invented at our sister property, the St. Regis New York? I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Perhaps my expectations were a little too high because of the St. Regis name (never stayed at one before) but I was a tad disappointing with the level of service I received at this hotel. It was always friendly but never personal. Checking in was easy but the front desk agent was indifferent-I had never been to DC before and was excited and enthusiastic, but she just went through her march and gave me a room key.

The room was great. Decent size, lots of light (I was facing 16th st), and the bed was comfortable. It was spotless too which was nice to see.

I got room service twice. Both times I called it was extremely difficult to get my order straight because it was clear the person on the other end did not have a great command of the English language. Both of my orders weren't brought to me as I had ordered them. Still, they were very friendly and I believe they genuinely tried.

The doormen-fantastic. I never touched the door handle once my entire trip. On check in and check out they carried my bags for me and hailed me a cab. Great group of guys.

Now, the front desk clerks-not the greatest attitudes, especially on the gentlemen who were there in the evening and night. I never, ever received a greeting from them as I was walking from the door to the elevator, even if the front desk was empty. It was as if I was a ghost. Now, I'm not one who is super sensitive about that kind of thing and actually prefer it when people aren't up in your face every time you go to your room but-come on. At least acknowledge that I'm standing there paying $300 a night for a room! I've gotten warmer welcomes at Comfort Inns.

The absolute, hands down highlight of my trip was Jane the bartender. The front desk agents should be forced to take notes on her because she is that good. She takes her time with every drink, explains what's going in them, always had a recommendation on what to order next, and served every drink with a smile. She works alone, and the 3 nights I went were all crowded and you never once saw her sweat or appear flustered. I traveled by myself so I talked with Jane quite a bit (I'm a fan of the bar :)) and can honestly say she's the only reason I plan on definitely returning to the St. Regis Washington, DC

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your experience in your “great” and “spotless” guestroom. I also appreciate your kind words regarding our doormen and Jane the bartender at our bar. Please know that your feedback regarding certain aspects of your guestroom and our service is being investigated and any issues will be rectified in due course. Thank you very much for bringing this feedback to my attention. I look forward to welcoming you back to our property at some point in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2014

My girlfriend and I celebrated my 50th birthday at the St. Regis Washington D.C. and it was a very memorable experience. From the bellmen to the butler the staff at the hotel were warm, welcoming and very accommodating.

The hotel is beautiful and luxurious and has access to some of the best restaurants and sites of Washington D.C. A must stay if you are in the city. Please see Alex and get a historic tour of the property while you are there.

The services of the hotel including the bar and restaurant Decanter were outstanding. I look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in a one of the famous Astor Suites. Apparently a good deal on non-busy weekends if avail...

Dear Guest,

Happy birthday and thank you for your fabulous review of your “memorable” experience at the St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the “warm, welcoming and very accommodating” service you received from members of our staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in Washington D.C. I also appreciate your kind words regarding our signature restaurant “Decanter,” and your experience with Alex Gruhin, the esteemed Cultural Attaché of our property and the curator of the St. Regis guest experience. I am glad that you were able to participate on Alex’s extraordinary history and heritage tour, “The Pursuit of a Legacy.” Alex’s tour is open to the public and offered on Thursdays and Fridays at 5:00 PM (depending on his schedule). I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I arrived late at night, and the hotel was sparkling in the dark, like a piece of jewelry. The building: a classic design, with crystal chandeliers, etc. When I entered the room, the sound system was on playing classical music. The room: big, clean, comfortable.The bathroom: really luxurious, in marble and with brass fixtures. The best thing was the bed--big, comfortable, with great bedding. Breakfast: enjoyable if you have time, not a buffet style, not many choices, ordered from the menu. Took a while to get seated and served. Most people in the room were men wearing suits. Location: downtown Washington DC, a couple of blocks away from the White House. Overall: great experience, a tiny bit pretentious (but some like it this way).

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your “great experience” at the St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our “classic” hotel that “[sparkles]…like a piece of jewelry” and the “big, comfortable” bed and “really luxurious” bathroom in your guestroom. Thank you also for your kind words regarding the enjoyable cuisine at our signature restaurant “Decanter” by Sebastien Rondier. Please know that your feedback regarding certain aspects of our service is being investigated and any issues will be resolved in due course. Thank you for bringing this feedback to my attention. I look forward to your return to the best address in the nation’s capital, the St. Regis Washington D.C.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed in the St. Regis for three weekdays in January, 2014. My wife was there for work and the cultural attache, Alex Gruhin, kindly contacted her to ask if he could be of any assistance in helping her plan her activities during her visit. Unfortunately she was too busy, but I emailed Alex and asked if he could recommend any performances or sights related to classical music and the visual arts. Alex got back to me before our visit with an incredibly detailed email listing all sorts of things that would interest me, from theatrical performances to top galleries to lesser known exhibitions that I no doubt would have missed if I weren't a native. For a hotel of this size, I found the level of consideration and detail in this personal service to be incredible. I followed almost all of Alex's suggestions and had a truly memorable trip, and now I'm singing the praises of DC to all my friends!

The hotel itself is a gem - perfectly located, with a prestigious location near the white house, with fabulous rooms and attentive service (we were in the St. Regis suite, which is faultlessly luxurious in both its appointments and the butler service). If you have never enjoyed a St. Regis suite, I definitely recommend the splurge. You'll be greeted with a table of fresh fruit, hot chocolate or coffee delivered in the morning, a great turn-down service, and complimentary shoe shine and shirt pressing. If only we could travel like that every time!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your experience at the St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your “fabulous” St. Regis Suite and the “attentive” service that you received from members of our staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in Washington D.C. I also appreciate your kind words regarding Alex Gruhin, the esteemed Cultural Attaché of our property and the curator of the St. Regis guest experience. I am glad that you benefited from Alex’s recommendations. He is an expert on all things related to culture in Washington and especially on the city’s theater and entertainment scene. Did you have a chance to read his cultural newsletter, “The St. Regis Standard?” I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel recently for a wedding. Because of the name and the photos I saw online, I expected perfection. The service was top-notch for sure. The "butler" that brought our bags up to the room gave us a tour of the services in-room. We saw him in an elevator before and he told us a little bit about the history and more recent (6 yrs ago) renovation of the building. The doormen were always happy and helpful - ready with umbrellas on rainy days and always smiling. It seems the people who work there love their job.
The room, however, just had a bunch of silly things that we wouldn't have expected. For example, the breakfast order card that you can fill out and put on your door had already been filled out by someone else. We left it out to be replaced, but it was put back in the drawer. The TV in the mirror in the bathroom didn't work (which we wouldn't have used anyway this trip - it just would have been cool to see!). There were a few wires hanging down from the mirror and the frame of the mirror was chipped, the toilet seat cover's cap was missing so you saw the screw... little things. There also aren't irons or boards in the room, so we had to call to get one (otherwise there is a pressing service if you have time for it).
The valet parking, while very convenient, was $45 a night. The bar was pretty expensive too - $35 for a glass of champagne and a vodka club. We ate the rehearsal dinner there - it was delicious!
Overall, not a bad experience, just not as stellar as we had anticipated.

1  Thank littleone3282

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our property. I appreciate your kind words regarding the “top-notch” service you received from members of our staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in Washington D.C. I also appreciate your kind words regarding your rehearsal dinner at our bar. Please know that you feedback regarding certain aspects of your guestroom and our service is being investigated and any issues will be rectified in due course. Thank you very much for bringing this feedback to my attention. I look forward to welcoming you back to our property at some point in the future.

Regards,