“Good central location- but ...”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #19 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Orinda, California
“Good central location- but ...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights at the St. Regis. We booked a Metropolitan Suite-not an inexpensive room. We were shown our room on the third floor. It was decent size but I feel using the term "suite" is inaccurate as it is simply a large room with a sitting area. The room was nice though a tad bit worn. The butler service that comes with the room is a rather confusing perk- coffee and tea in the morning and pressing of two pieces of clothing, and a few other items. Struck me as a rather off combination of services but...
My main advice would be to ensure you do not have a room-any room - at the back of the hotel. There is a major construction project underway and the horrid noise commenced at 6:30 in the morning- concrete being thrown into metal dumpsters was unbearable. Now the good news- upon being informed of this unacceptable situation, Pierre at the front desk, immediately addressed the situation. He sincerely apologized and set to work to rectify our bad night's experience. Pierre came through fabulously. The remainder of our stay was excellent. The people at the St. Regis were kind, knowledgeable and helpful. The lobby area is beautiful. The location for DC sites is excellent. I would make sure to inquire as to the state of construction in the adjacent buildings but this construction is not the fault of the St. Regis. However, they did not disclose this fact at the outset of our stay and placed us in a room where they knew there was noise-prior complaints. But Pierre did remedy the situation. So my review is a bit mixed. Good location for sites, nice people and they did immediately fix the noise issue. But there should never have been a noise issue in the first place as we should never have been placed in a "Suite" next to a known noisy alley. So, hmmm, don't know if I can write an impartial review. I would probably try the hotel again is the best I can do.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sftcat
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your experience at our property. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our great location in the heart of the city, two blocks north of the White House, as well as the service that you received from Pierre at the front desk among other members of our team. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. Please know that your feedback regarding certain aspects of our product is absolutely being investigated and any outstanding issues will be resolved in due course. I hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future.

Regards,

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

This hotel is still a very elegant hotel, reminiscent of old Washington, in a great location. The lobby and the common areas in particular have a nice charm. There is no denying it is a nice hotel. BUT, it is tired, and not what I would expect from a St. Regis, or any hotel that can command 5 star rates for its rooms. The carpets look old, as do the bed covers, and both made me wonder about "perma-dirt." The service was good, but not impeccable. (For example, half the times I was at the desk there was confusion from a not well trained assistant. When a group of us went to talk at a table in the bar, three barmen talked to each other at the bar and ignored us --- only when I went up and asked for a water did they seem embarrassed, and insist they come over to take the order for the water.)

I find St. Regis and Starwood to be among the best brands, with good consistency on quality. I am sure that if they put their mind to it, and invest some capital, the management can make this the premier hotel it should, and could, be.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your experience at our property. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our great location in the heart of the city, two blocks north of the White House, as well as our charming lobby and common areas. Please know that your feedback regarding certain aspects of our product and service is absolutely being investigated and any outstanding issues will be resolved in due course. I hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future.

Regards,

Yountville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

This was my second time at the St. Regis after their full scale renovation several years ago. Still just a beautiful hotel that retained its charm while adding the modern conveniences. Last time I was fortunate to get upgraded to the Astor Suite. This time the hotel was jammed for a variety of events so no upgrade but they made sure I had a very comfortable, bright room with large windows facing the front.

The bar is a great spot to meet and nice restaurants and the sites are just a walk away (tried the new Joe's Seafood and Steaks nearby). The concierges are always helpful with restaurant ideas and museum passes (a big help as we didn't do much planning).

Highly recommend. One room suggestion is I would steer clear of the 8th floor rooms. While eqally as comfortable, windows are smaller.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your experience at the “beautiful” St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your Caroline Astor Suite as well as the “helpful” service that you received from members of our concierge team. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. Thank you also for your kind words regarding the St. Regis Bar. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.!

Niceville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Let me just say that our stay was exceptional from start to finish. This is only our second time staying at the St. Regis DC. We love the luxurious and opulent lobby and the very
spacious and comfortable rooms. We returned for multiple reasons but the most
important (for us) is your bar. We enjoy stopping by at different times of the
day and regardless when we do we are always received with a warm and sincere
welcome. The service provided by your staff at the St. Regis Bar is stellar. We
appreciate both your bartenders (Jane and Reda). Also, we received very
thoughtful and attentive care from Christian and Matthew. I rarely remember
names but these folks stand out. People and special care they provided leave an
impression and provide for memorable experiences. Front staff is helpful and
polite. We travel to DC for pleasure/leisure, as we have family in town and expect St. Regis DC to be our home base during future visits. Cheers!

Room Tip: Astor Suite is exceptional. High floor. Very spacious and comfortable.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your “exceptional” experience at the St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our “luxurious and opulent lobby,” as well as the service that you received from members of our bar staff – Jane, Reda, Christian and Matthew. Thank you also for your kind words regarding our “helpful and polite” front desk staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

As SPG 'loyalists' we immediately gravitated to this hotel when we made our plans. The location is perfect; on the edge of the business side of DC and within sight of the WH and all the monuments. At the hotel, the staff are excellent. In particular, the attention and care for our restaurant plans provided by Jean-Francois Dupont at the concierge desk was excellent. We asked for several recommendations and each restaurant suggested was exceptional.

Mornings, we used the gym, once in the hotel's lower level and the rest at MINT, the facility across the street arranged by the hotel. That additional benefit was wonderful.

Each morning we had breakfast in the hotel's restaurant. The staff there is excellent; attentive, friendly, and professional. Each breakfast we ordered was great, and the staff took care of every request, happily.

After touring the sights of DC we relaxed every afternoon in the lobby. The drink and snack service was, like the breakfast experience, perfect. The extra touch of the afternoon poetry reading and champagne tasting was a very nice touch, as was the offer of the history tour (which we will take, next visit).

Writing this gave me a chance to reflect on, remember our visit, and recall how exceptional the St Regis is for a visit to DC. We'll be sure to stay there on our next trip.

Dear Guest,

Thank your for your lovely review of your “5-star experience” at the St. Regis Washington D.C. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our “perfect” location near the White House, and the level of personal service that you received from our Chef Concierge JF Dupont. Thank you also for your kind words regarding our drink, snack and breakfast programs and the poetry reading offered by Alex Gruhin, our esteemed Cultural Attaché and the curator of the St. Regis Washington D.C. guest experience. I certainly hope that you have the opportunity to take Alex’s incredible history tour of the property on a future stay. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Had a fantastic stay at the St. Regis Washington, DC. The staff was helpful and friendly, the food was excellent, the bar has an impressive selection of bourbon and the facilities were clean and well maintained!

Would stay here again and would also recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your experience at the St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the service that you received from members of our “helpful and friendly” staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. Thank you also for your kind words regarding our food and beverage program and the cleanliness of our facilities. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.!

Lebanon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We spent two nights at the St. Regis in May. From check in to check out the service was superb. Our room overlooked 16th Street and was beautifully decorated. We especially enjoyed the very informative hotel tour by Alex Gruhin, followed by the champagne sabering. We highly recommend the St. Regis!

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of your experience at the St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your “beautifully decorated” guestrooms and the “superb” service that you received from members of our staff. I also appreciate your kind words regarding our esteemed Cultural Attaché Alex Gruhin, the curator of the St. Regis Washington D.C. guest experience. I am glad that Alex’s history tour of the property exceeded your expectations. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.!