“Fighting for coffee and tea at the St. Regis” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The St. Regis Washington, D.C.

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #19 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
San Francisco, California
“Fighting for coffee and tea at the St. Regis”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Never staying here again, because they make it impossible for you to get tea/coffee in the morning. Lobby has only coffee, no tea (annoying). And they take it away at 8 AM (!!). I came downstairs at 8:15 and was told "Go to Starbucks". I explained that not everyone who works long hours at night is up before 8 AM. The response: "This is our management's decision". If that's the case, the management needs to have their heads examined, as nothing about this says they care about the customer's most basic needs - a simple coffee/tea available to start their day in what they thought was a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank johnwoodRTR
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our property. Please know that your constructive feedback regarding certain aspects of our product and service is being investigated and all outstanding issues will be resolved in due course. Thank you very much for bringing this information my attention. I hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future.

Regards,

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

The lobby is gorgeous, although check in counter is awkwardly situated causing a strange traffic pattern in the lobby. We waited a while to check in which was fine but my boyfriend was annoyed to wait lol. The staff was well trained and extremely classy and helpful. The service was five star all the way. The issue was that our room was very dark and tiny. I had a hard time putting on make up because bathrooms were so dark. Two of us couldn't fit in bathroom. No iron or ironing board was present and they brought one up right away but strange not to have one in the room. Hmm, what else, no trash can in the bathroom and bath towels were really small and torn at edges. Only one bath robe too which I obviously claimed when we arrived lol.

The staff was sooooo accommodating though so I feel bad giving this honest review.

With all of the options in DC at that price point, I'd stay elsewhere next time. So sorry guys!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caztravels
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our property. I genuinely appreciate your kind words regarding the “five star” service that you received from members of our “well trained and extremely classy and helpful” staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. Please know that your constructive feedback regarding certain aspects of our product is being investigated and all outstanding issues will be resolved in due course. Thank you very much for bringing this information my attention. I look forward to your return to our property.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We did a multi centre holiday and the St Regis was the last hotel that we stayed at. From the moment that we arrived the vast majority of the staff that we came across (with the exception of some of the doormen) were very friendly and helpful. The room had that we had was good, very comfortable and clean.
We were not impressed by the hotel restaurant menu as there was a real lack of choice especially if you are a non meat eater. We had room service several times and recommend the flatbread pizza, caesar salad, cheesecake and creme brulee. We also had breakfast on the last morning and have to say that whilst the food was excellent the service was a bit lacking - my husband had to keep asking to have his coffee topped up.
Some of the pricing is a bit extortionate. We booked our holiday through Virgin holidays but we had to book our 5th night ourselves directly with the hotel due to Virgin holidays not having availability. The room rate was advertised as $725 and for the room that we had we felt this was rather steep. Also be very aware that taxes are added on to this price so it will actually cost you even more than the $725. The real irritation for us was that when we got home and checked our credit card statement an additional charge had been put through by the St Regis . When we queried this we were told that the charge was for drinks from the minibar. We only had one drink and this should have been picked up by the hotel before we checked out. Once we disputed the other drinks we received a refund, eventually. Our advice would be to watch out for hidden charges.
So whilst we enjoyed our time at the St Regis we felt that it didn't really deliver good value for money and if we visit Washington DC again we would probably stay at a different hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrMrsHill
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our property. I genuinely appreciate your kind words regarding the service that you received from members of our “very friendly and helpful” staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. Please know that your constructive feedback regarding certain aspects of our product and service is being investigated and any outstanding issues will be resolved in due course. Thank you very much for bringing this information my attention. I hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future.

Regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The location was only steps from the White House.

The services were very good. I should say it matched the St Regis standard.

For the room, I got a standard one. The room size was fine. It came with a very comfortable bed, and especially pillows. An LCD TV was there. The bathroom came with the basic amenities.

My only two concerns would be a small bathroom size and a contemporary design. Yet, I truly accept that this building might be historic, so some design and layout would have to be remained the same.

Stayed May 2557
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of your experience at our hotel. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our fantastic location, “only steps from the White House.” I also appreciate your kind words regarding the “very comfortable bed, and especially pillows” in your guestroom. I look forward to your return to our property.

Chatham, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We just got back from a two night stay at the St. Regis Washington DC. Everyone is very nice and helpful. The location is good as it is only two blocks from the White House, but a distance from everything else. We had beautiful weather so the walking was fine with us. Breakfast was delicious each morning. The room was on the small side and the bathroom, although very nicely renovated, it was very small! I had read comments about the mattresses and thought how silly for someone to comment on them, well now I see why. They really need to invest in new mattresses!! They were terrible. I rarely complain, but when you are spending that kind of money and you can't sleep well due to a terrible mattress something needs to be mentioned. I did not say anything to the front desk, but feel that readers should know this.

When we visit Washington DC again, we will return to the Willard International for several reasons. First, the rooms are lovely! The location is better then the location of the St. Regis. Most of all, we had a great night sleep because they had comfy mattresses.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank J3CAL
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our property. I genuinely appreciate your kind words regarding our “delicious” breakfast, “very nicely renovated” guestrooms and the service that you received from members of our “well-trained” staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. Please know that your constructive feedback regarding certain aspects of our product is being investigated and all outstanding issues will be resolved in due course. Thank you very much for bringing this information my attention. I look forward to your return to our property.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Great location, well-trained staff, and excellent bar and restaurant. But the rooms are small and need renovating, the hotel is very expensive for what you get, the internet wireless connection is extremely slow (and why should I pay for it when I'm paying $562/night for a room?). The fitness center is awful and some of the equipment did not work, although there is access to a health club off premises. For the same or a lower rate, you can have a better experience at the Park Hyatt or a number of other excellent hotels.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lllaroo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our property. I genuinely appreciate your kind words regarding our “excellent bar and restaurant,” “great location” and the service that you received from members of our “well-trained” staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. Please know that your constructive feedback regarding certain aspects of our product is being investigated and all outstanding issues will be resolved in due course. Thank you very much for bringing this information my attention. I look forward to your return to our property.

boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Beautiful ambiance at this lovely stately hotel. Great location as 2 blocks from the White House. Lots of history inside the hotel to take advantage of. Don't miss the tour with Alex, the cultural attache!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of your experience at the “lovely stately” St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our “great location,” two blocks north of the White House. I also appreciate your kind words regarding our esteemed Cultural Attaché Alex Gruhin, the curator of the St. Regis Washington D.C. guest experience. I am glad that Alex’s history tour of the property exceeded your expectations. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.!