“Nice location”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #25 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We recently had our convention here at St. Regis and although not a new hotel, I really liked its modern amenities and location. I can't vouch for the price since I didn't book personally but I can say that it is worth it for 1 or 2 days of stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your stay.

I hope you to see you on your next visit very soon.

Director, Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (1,309)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had booked this hotel at the suggestion of AMEX Centurion. Then, I read many reviews and decided we should go elsewhere... Sadly, because of an error in booking, we ended up at the St Regis anyway...
If you can stay anywhere else, do so. This hotel is in need of a major upgrade. The rooms (supposedly we were given an upgraded room) are very small and have not aged well. The walls are paper thin. You can hear entire conversations from the room next to yours, as well as the TV, and their personal activities... We could also smell their food... In other properties, the butler introduces him or herself. Not here. Never saw or heard from them. And when we hung some items to be cleaned over night, they were there, untouched the next morning. Lobby is very small and not conducive to relaxing or as a place to meet friends, sit and talk. Bar is also very small. Beds are uncomfortable. Too soft for my taste. Not going back here for sure and would advise others to look at some of the other many options available.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank DonManolo
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is provide the best possible experience to all of our guests. At your earliest convenience I would like to speak to you to obtain additional feedback. I have shared your comments with the appropriate team members for correction. Thank you again for valuable feedback and I look forward to speaking with you.

Warm Regards,

Director of Room

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Whilst it is true to say, as other reviews do, that The St. Regis Washington, D.C. is not the most up-to-date property in terms of its decor, the hotel and its accommodations are certainly extremely comfortable and the location is amongst the best in the City - within direct sight of The White House. Whilst such things come down to personal taste, I found that the overall decor of the hotel was very pleasant and relaxing, and in keeping with the style of the building and the grandeur of its immediate surroundings and the City.

Our rooms were reasonably spacious, comfortable and well-appointed. The breakfast service was fantastic and we had a lovely dinner at the restaurant. It was somewhat disappointing that the bar closed so early however (something like 10pm, I believe!) and that there was apparently nowhere within the hotel (aside from through room service) to get a drink in the late evening.

Where the hotel truly excels is on extremely attentive, efficient and friendly service. All of the team members that we encountered during our stay were fantastic - not least Jean-François and Lida from the concierge desk, who arranged a wonderful tour of the U.S. Capitol building and guided us on all manner of things and John, who was extremely welcoming and helpful during our check-in.

I very much look forward to returning to the St. Regis Washington, D.C. in future!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel. Please know that I will reach out to the appropriate department regarding your issue with the Decantur bar hours and room service about ordering a drink after hours.

We look forward to your next visit very soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I struggled to know if I should give it 4 blobs or not. The location is terrific and the building (originally the Carlton I think) is interesting. The staff are friendly and efficient and the bar and restaurant very good. We were staying here as part of a group so the rate on the room was very good and the room itself quiet and comfortable. It is an old building though, so the bathroom was not good for a couple getting ready for a formal function, it was tiny and the place feels just a little tired. Not quite up to normal St Regis standards. On balance though I think the price, location comfort balance means that it deserves the 4 rating.

Room Tip: One of the back rooms is much quieter but the view is not. The compromise is worthwhile though if yo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your visit. We appreciate your honesty and hope to see you back very soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My mother wanted to take myself and my sister on a "quick trip" this summer, and we decided on D.C. I told her I'd help with the planning- and we visited our travel agent... though she tried to sell us on The W, - I was pretty sure I'd rather the St. Regis, for many reasons- including its proximity to The White House- but also because of the well known luxury St. Regis affords. After just returning from Aruba, where I stayed at the Ritz- I was looking forward to another pampering session but sadly- did not get it.

The hotel check-in staff was uppity- and right upon entering this put a bad taste in my mouth. Listen, we all have bad days, but please- don't act holier- than -thou when you're working behind the desk of the hotel that I'm staying in.

The room wasn't great- the shower had terrible engineering, in that when you opened the door it pushed water on the the floor and the entire bathroom was like a scene from "Titanic." Now, I am completely aware that most of the appeal of the St. Regis in D.C. comes from its long history. I appreciate that- but the beds felt as though they too could have been there from the start. Honestly- I've stayed in Holiday Inns during my youth that had more luxurious beds.

I was looking forward to eating at the restaurant there one night because we had been doing a lot of walking throughout the Smithsonian that day, but the hotel had already "rented out the restaurant" that night, and I received a letter of apology that I- a guest- would not be able to dine there that evening.

I just cannot believe how disappointing this stay was for me, and it's not even about the wasted money- I was really hoping to have a (good) memorable stay there.

The door service staff was very pleasant, though so it wasn't all bad.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Haley L
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that you had a disappointment experience with us. I will investigate all the issues you have mentioned. Please feel free to contact me to discuss this further.

Again, I am sorry for your unpleasant visit.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed here only one night as we visited DC during a trip up the east coast. It was definitely not a cheap hotel by any means but we figured we had try it and pay up. The hotel is very close to the White House which was awesome, it is also well located so plus there. There is no pool at this property so if you're thinking this is a family hotel, think again. The hotel tailors more to diplomats and politicians it seems so it's very quiet. We were with our kids so we felt out of place, to some effect. The room was very nice and clean. The bathroom had a tv in it so that was a first for us, but definitely interesting. Would recommend this hotel more for adults more so than with children.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the St. Regis. We are glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Conveniently located between the Georgetown Circulator and the McPherson Square Metro Station, this hotel has a very friendly staff. Only minor negative is that shampoo/conditioner were only replenished once during my 3 night stay. Soaps and water were never restocked. I would probably stay here again if visiting both Georgetown and DC

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank J W

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at the St. Regis. I will check into the housekeeping issue you had. Please feel free to contact me to discuss this at your convenience.

We look forward to your next visit very soon.