“Excellent stay - top class hotel”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #25 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 22 April 2009

It was only my second time to DC - both on business so I wanted something central to base myself from in the "downtime" - the St Regis proved perfect. Centrally located and service second to none....okay it can be expensive, but some of the shoulder rates you can get online make it very resonable.

The rooms are a little small, but the overall experience is great. A classy hotel with five star service - you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for feedback regarding your stay at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. in April 2009.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,322)

Reviewed 12 April 2009

As a consultant, I have seen a large spectrum of hotels. To me the, St. Regis is a hotel that can go toe to toe with the four seasons. My experiences with this chain in NY, Dallas, and CA have all been very enjoyable. Their location, amenities, and service combined for some of the most memorable stays ever for me. Alas, this property fell short on one of those planks and that was service. Given my expectations for this brand going in, it made for a pretty disappointing stay. For what they charge, the shortcomings do not seem to make it worthwhile and I would be very reluctant to recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues.

Here is the breakdown of the experience:
Rooms
The rooms are very well appointed, they include two bottles of Fiji water complementary and the beds outstanding and incredibly lush. The bathrooms are well appointed, if a little small, and the bathroom mirror has a TV behind it which is both clever and nice. Being a shower person, this one gets two big thumbs up and has incredible pressure and flow for a very nice shower.

Workout Room
Awful and basically looks like it was added as an afterthought. Small and not a lot of options. I have been in Marriott Courtyards with better gyms than this.

Location
Great location and I think the hotel gets a lot of its mileage based on this. You are basically right next to the White House and in the center of any business you need to accomplish in the city, both work and pleasure.

For what you would expect, they fall very short. Basically, there is nothing unique about this crew. Special requests (and even regular requests) are met more with an attitude about why they can't or are reluctant to help, than a desire to help you out. The level meets the expectations I would have for staying at a Sheraton, Hilton or Marriott. If you are a little insistent, you can eventually get a resolution, but this is never enjoyable and you are left with the feeling of great hostility.
Here is an example: We called the “butler” for a couple of Mount Gay and tonic rum drink. Not seeking any additional information they started off by saying they do not offer this? Surprised, because this was not too unusual of a request, we asked why they did not deliver drinks to our room. Finally realizing this was a room service request, they transferred us to the room service dept. The room service person took the order and we waited. Five minutes later, the person called us up and asked if “Mount Gay” was a Gin or Vodka drink? We explained that it was a rum, they thanked us and we waited again. Ten minute later the waiter appeared with three Bacardi Rum (a very, very different rum) drinks. We explained that this was not what we ordered and the server started arguing with us and said that we ordered rum drinks and these were rum drinks. After explaining the big difference, the server basically shot back "Well, what do you want then."
Now imaging 50% of your service interactions follow similar story arc. It is easy to explain away one bad experience as a fluke, but this is something that permeates every level of the organization. If your hotel stay is very typical and within their standard range of service, I am sure you will have a great stay. Go outside of those bounds, and prepare for a difficult experience.

Butler Service
If you book online, most of the room descriptions will indicate butler service as an amenity. In other St. Regis properties, this includes someone in white gloves offering to unpack you cloths, wake you up in the morning with fresh tea, provide you with a bowl of fresh fruit when you arrive. A real luxury and a great way to indulge on your stay. Here I was told that this service actually doesn't include any of this but really means that they "will bring up fresh towels and ice to your room." Not sure why you would brand that “butler service”, when this is something any hotel will do. In fact, unlike places like Westin where the person you talk to will take ownership of your request, the butler service here consisted of nothing more than someone acting like a telephone operator connecting us to the person who could help us like the room service or the valet.

Starwood Preferred Guest
For business travelers who are SPG preferred elite, don't expect much. For the first time in nearly 5 years (and over 40 different hotels) of being a premium member, I was given a hard time for requesting a late check-out. The receptionist basically refused to acknowledge the option was even available and based on other feedback in this site, I think this is the norm. There were no upgrades, even though the person checking us in, mentioned it was a quiet weekend.

This is far from the worst place to spend your time and there is a lot going for this hotel. It just seems to me that when you have rooms that list for over $400 a night, you would get more than a typical hotel experience. If location and hotel caliber is key, I would recommend staying at the Willard for the price. Or you can save some money and stay at the Hyatt which has outstanding value for the price. Or if you do no need to be at that location, I would check out the Park Hyatt or Four Seasons. Both similar in price and much, much more worth the price.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank JCherry

Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed feedback and overview on the St. Regis Washington, D.C. from your stay in April 2009.

I reviewed your comments regarding our Guest Rooms, the St. Regis Athletic Club, the St. Regis Butler program, Hotel Service and comments regarding the Starwood Preferred Program.

We appreciate your time in providing this detailed feedback which will assist the hotel in our ongoing efforts to provide excellent service and exceed guest’s expectations.

With kind regards

Reviewed 12 April 2009

I stayed at the St. Regis recently and found it to be OK. One would hope for better praise for a hotel with such a great reputation, but I would describe this hotel as one that would have been considered the peak of luxury 20 years ago. Today, not so much.

Here's what I found -- unvarnished.

When I entered the lobby to check it, it was hot and stuffy. Bad first impression. The people at the desk were polite and efficient, but did not strike me as at all friendly or warm (no pun intended).

My room was nice, though a bit overstuffed with furniture. The sofa was a pleasant touch, but contributed to the overall crowded feel of the room. The minibar was the highlight of the room, as it had higher-end beverage products than most hotels. The complimentary Fiji water was also a nice touch.

The bathroom was also nice, but it lacked a tub. Sure, I take about three baths a year (compared to at least 362 showers) but I believe a high-end property like the St. Regis ought to offer the option.

However, the room was not equipped with an iron and ironing board, so I called my "butler" to collect and iron a shirt for an upcoming meeting. A bit surprised to learn I had just spent $11 to have the shirt ironed. I should have asked for an iron and board to be delivered.

The restaurant was supposed to be the crowning jewel of the hotel, but it wasn't open on Sunday or Monday nights -- the two nights I was there. Disappointing. I did have snacks and drinks at the bar, and Mia the barmaid was a delight. Prices seemed pretty reasonable.

Like another reviewer, I asked for a late check-out, as I'm a Starwood Gold member. I was told they couldn't offer a 4 p.m. check-out because they were full the next night, but they did extend the check-out to 12:30, which should have been enough. However, after I got back from my meeting (at noon), I found the 24 hours of Internet service I'd purchased starting at 4 p.m. the previous afternoon had been turned off. When I called the front desk to explain I had paid for this and needed it to do some work before check-out, the clerk couldn't get his head around what I was saying and sent someone from maintenance to my room. The maintenance man understood and was able to get the service turned back on, but it took 15 minutes of my "extra" half hour, so I wasn't able to do all I'd hoped.

The location was good -- only two blocks from the White House -- and it was pleasant enough considering the rate I was given. However, if you can't get a great rate, look elsewhere. There are plenty of hotels in the area.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Vagabond_65

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the St. Regis Washington, D.C. from your stay in April 2009.

I am sorry to learn that the hotel did not fully live up to your expectations during your last stay. The hotel recently completed a major renovation and re-opened in 2008. There are Guest Rooms and Suites which have tubs and separate showers.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the St. Regis Washington, D.C. next time you come to Washington.

Reviewed 16 March 2009