“Nice...but was it really a St Regis?”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #24 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 21 May 2009

We spent three nights at the DC St Regis (visiting from Australia) in mid-April and were very pleased to find ourselves staying only a few hundred metres from the White House and just on the edge of the main city centre. The St Regis became part of a true Washington DC experience for us but it wasn’t all plain sailing

We arrived at the hotel at 3:00pm – the advertised check-in time – to find that our room was not ready. In this instance the delay wasn’t really a problem but I was astonished by the clerk’s lack of grace in dealing with the situation. His advice was simply: “…the hotel was full last night so your room isn’t ready; come back later…”. Needless to say, this did not live up to my expectation of a St Regis! What I expected to hear was: “Sir I do apologize that your room is slightly delayed…can I offer you complimentary afternoon tea in the lounge and I’ll call you as soon as it becomes available”.

This clerk did not turn out to be representative of the rest of the staff in the hotel who generally went out of their way to be helpful but it became clear over our stay that the St Regis does indeed have a few staff problems.

The hotel itself is in a very grand old building that exudes an ambience of old-world charm and comfort. Our room was small and somewhat over-furnished but reasonably well appointed in an antique theme. It has to be said that the bathroom was tiny and that there was no bath. There is a cool TV in the bathroom mirror but given that the bathroom is barely big enough to brush your teeth in, it’s not likely you are going to want to stand in there and watch the Today Show.

Our package included in-room breakfast which we found to be excellent in both quality and quantity. It was also delivered to our room quite quickly after we ordered.

Whilst I can see why some Tripadvisor reviewers were disappointed with the St Regis, for me it wasn’t actually bad but neither did it live up to my expectations of the St Regis brand. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it…but only if you can get it for the right price.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank qzqj7zSydney
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate the feedback. I do apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay.

Again, thank you for your comments, which will assist us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Reviewed 17 May 2009

We loved our room at the St Regis. We had a large, comfy bed & a perfectly redone room. All staff was friendly & helpful. Great location, a couple blocks away from the white house. The bathroom was beautiful, we only wish they had a bathtub or jacuzzi.
We will stay here again on our next DC trip if we can get another good deal.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TRAVELADIX

Dear Guest

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2009

Stayed at The St Regis DC back on April 10th for one night. I was planning on staying at the Westin but was offered a rate of only $250 at The St Regis so I opted for that option instead. I must start by saying that I have stayed at many higher-end 4 Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin, Peninsula, etc. but this would be my first stay at a St Regis. Given what I hear about the St Regis brand, I assumed that expectations would be just as high as those other brands.

I arrived by train into Union Station and quickly got a taxi to the hotel. Taxi was about $10 and was a quick 10min ride. There is a metro stop not far from the hotel and valet was $40.

Was pleasantly greeted at the door and my two small bags were brought to the small reception desk. The lobby was very small but was well furnished in a nice classical decor. Reception was smooth but was plain and mechanical. I was upgraded from a superior to deluxe room as SPG Gold. At this point my bags where sitting next to reception on the floor with no offer for help or any bellman in sight. Let me say that I definitely did not need help and if offered I would of refused because I could manage it, but I would expect the offer from the reception or bellman.

The room was very small but well decorated and spotless all around. I was very impressed with the materials they choose for the room and it was definitely on par with 5-star properties. I must say that if I was staying here for more than 1-2 nights, this room would be too small. There were a grand list of available amenities available but did not take advantage of any. The view I had was of 16th St, which was nothing special. However, I did hear 2 different people complain about their view, which must of been at the other side of the hotel.

Location was very close to the White House and the National Mall. Had no problem walking anywhere in those areas. The only problem I had found is beyond the tourist sites on The Mall, the hotel is not very convenient. You will need a taxi to any good shopping, nightlife or dining areas. That could get annoying after a few days. However, for me I'd rather be close to all the tourist sites given my 1 night stay

The concierge was no help at all. I went for help in locating a lunch spot and was disappointed with the food. The type of dinner spot I requested was not what I asked for when I got there. Finally the kind of nightlife I wanted was a complete opposite. I ended up going to a different place to eat and a different place to party. Checkout again was plain and mechanical.

Overall the property itself was very well appointed in high end materials and sits in a great location to see all the sites. The rooms were luxurious but the size was disappointing. The service is far below a 5 star property given the coldness of the reception and lack of knowledge of the concierge. I would stay here again if the price is at a lower end. Otherwise if you are looking for 5-star treatment go elsewhere in DC.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Benzgt
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. in April 2009. The St. Regis Washington, D.C. recently completed an extensive renovation and re-opened in 2008. Your comments pertaining to the service you received at the Front Desk and Concierge have been noted. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate the feedback. I do apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay.

Reviewed 28 April 2009

We decided to stay at the St. Regis because of it's location and they had a prepaid special, half price. We thought we would stay at a hotel we normally would not. We thought a butler, a fancy room--boy were we disappointed. There is no butler, just a free shoe shine, nothing special at all. Just a small room, very small bath room, with no real special treatment. The room was well appointed but nothing I can't get at other hotels. Yes the TV in the mirror is nice but we have stayed in other hotels that were less money that had that feature. The St. Regis is just another fancy over priced hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay in April 2009.

Our sincere apologies you did not experience the St. Regis Signature Butler Service during your stay. The St. Regis Washington, D.C. recently completed an extensive renovation and re-opened in 2008.

Reviewed 22 April 2009

It was only my second time to DC - both on business so I wanted something central to base myself from in the "downtime" - the St Regis proved perfect. Centrally located and service second to none....okay it can be expensive, but some of the shoulder rates you can get online make it very resonable.

The rooms are a little small, but the overall experience is great. A classy hotel with five star service - you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for feedback regarding your stay at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. in April 2009.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 12 April 2009

As a consultant, I have seen a large spectrum of hotels. To me the, St. Regis is a hotel that can go toe to toe with the four seasons. My experiences with this chain in NY, Dallas, and CA have all been very enjoyable. Their location, amenities, and service combined for some of the most memorable stays ever for me. Alas, this property fell short on one of those planks and that was service. Given my expectations for this brand going in, it made for a pretty disappointing stay. For what they charge, the shortcomings do not seem to make it worthwhile and I would be very reluctant to recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues.

Here is the breakdown of the experience:
Rooms
The rooms are very well appointed, they include two bottles of Fiji water complementary and the beds outstanding and incredibly lush. The bathrooms are well appointed, if a little small, and the bathroom mirror has a TV behind it which is both clever and nice. Being a shower person, this one gets two big thumbs up and has incredible pressure and flow for a very nice shower.

Workout Room
Awful and basically looks like it was added as an afterthought. Small and not a lot of options. I have been in Marriott Courtyards with better gyms than this.

Location
Great location and I think the hotel gets a lot of its mileage based on this. You are basically right next to the White House and in the center of any business you need to accomplish in the city, both work and pleasure.

For what you would expect, they fall very short. Basically, there is nothing unique about this crew. Special requests (and even regular requests) are met more with an attitude about why they can't or are reluctant to help, than a desire to help you out. The level meets the expectations I would have for staying at a Sheraton, Hilton or Marriott. If you are a little insistent, you can eventually get a resolution, but this is never enjoyable and you are left with the feeling of great hostility.
Here is an example: We called the “butler” for a couple of Mount Gay and tonic rum drink. Not seeking any additional information they started off by saying they do not offer this? Surprised, because this was not too unusual of a request, we asked why they did not deliver drinks to our room. Finally realizing this was a room service request, they transferred us to the room service dept. The room service person took the order and we waited. Five minutes later, the person called us up and asked if “Mount Gay” was a Gin or Vodka drink? We explained that it was a rum, they thanked us and we waited again. Ten minute later the waiter appeared with three Bacardi Rum (a very, very different rum) drinks. We explained that this was not what we ordered and the server started arguing with us and said that we ordered rum drinks and these were rum drinks. After explaining the big difference, the server basically shot back "Well, what do you want then."
Now imaging 50% of your service interactions follow similar story arc. It is easy to explain away one bad experience as a fluke, but this is something that permeates every level of the organization. If your hotel stay is very typical and within their standard range of service, I am sure you will have a great stay. Go outside of those bounds, and prepare for a difficult experience.

Butler Service
If you book online, most of the room descriptions will indicate butler service as an amenity. In other St. Regis properties, this includes someone in white gloves offering to unpack you cloths, wake you up in the morning with fresh tea, provide you with a bowl of fresh fruit when you arrive. A real luxury and a great way to indulge on your stay. Here I was told that this service actually doesn't include any of this but really means that they "will bring up fresh towels and ice to your room." Not sure why you would brand that “butler service”, when this is something any hotel will do. In fact, unlike places like Westin where the person you talk to will take ownership of your request, the butler service here consisted of nothing more than someone acting like a telephone operator connecting us to the person who could help us like the room service or the valet.

Starwood Preferred Guest
For business travelers who are SPG preferred elite, don't expect much. For the first time in nearly 5 years (and over 40 different hotels) of being a premium member, I was given a hard time for requesting a late check-out. The receptionist basically refused to acknowledge the option was even available and based on other feedback in this site, I think this is the norm. There were no upgrades, even though the person checking us in, mentioned it was a quiet weekend.

This is far from the worst place to spend your time and there is a lot going for this hotel. It just seems to me that when you have rooms that list for over $400 a night, you would get more than a typical hotel experience. If location and hotel caliber is key, I would recommend staying at the Willard for the price. Or you can save some money and stay at the Hyatt which has outstanding value for the price. Or if you do no need to be at that location, I would check out the Park Hyatt or Four Seasons. Both similar in price and much, much more worth the price.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank JCherry

Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed feedback and overview on the St. Regis Washington, D.C. from your stay in April 2009.

I reviewed your comments regarding our Guest Rooms, the St. Regis Athletic Club, the St. Regis Butler program, Hotel Service and comments regarding the Starwood Preferred Program.

We appreciate your time in providing this detailed feedback which will assist the hotel in our ongoing efforts to provide excellent service and exceed guest’s expectations.

Reviewed 12 April 2009

I stayed at the St. Regis recently and found it to be OK. One would hope for better praise for a hotel with such a great reputation, but I would describe this hotel as one that would have been considered the peak of luxury 20 years ago. Today, not so much.

Here's what I found -- unvarnished.

When I entered the lobby to check it, it was hot and stuffy. Bad first impression. The people at the desk were polite and efficient, but did not strike me as at all friendly or warm (no pun intended).

My room was nice, though a bit overstuffed with furniture. The sofa was a pleasant touch, but contributed to the overall crowded feel of the room. The minibar was the highlight of the room, as it had higher-end beverage products than most hotels. The complimentary Fiji water was also a nice touch.

The bathroom was also nice, but it lacked a tub. Sure, I take about three baths a year (compared to at least 362 showers) but I believe a high-end property like the St. Regis ought to offer the option.

However, the room was not equipped with an iron and ironing board, so I called my "butler" to collect and iron a shirt for an upcoming meeting. A bit surprised to learn I had just spent $11 to have the shirt ironed. I should have asked for an iron and board to be delivered.

The restaurant was supposed to be the crowning jewel of the hotel, but it wasn't open on Sunday or Monday nights -- the two nights I was there. Disappointing. I did have snacks and drinks at the bar, and Mia the barmaid was a delight. Prices seemed pretty reasonable.

Like another reviewer, I asked for a late check-out, as I'm a Starwood Gold member. I was told they couldn't offer a 4 p.m. check-out because they were full the next night, but they did extend the check-out to 12:30, which should have been enough. However, after I got back from my meeting (at noon), I found the 24 hours of Internet service I'd purchased starting at 4 p.m. the previous afternoon had been turned off. When I called the front desk to explain I had paid for this and needed it to do some work before check-out, the clerk couldn't get his head around what I was saying and sent someone from maintenance to my room. The maintenance man understood and was able to get the service turned back on, but it took 15 minutes of my "extra" half hour, so I wasn't able to do all I'd hoped.

The location was good -- only two blocks from the White House -- and it was pleasant enough considering the rate I was given. However, if you can't get a great rate, look elsewhere. There are plenty of hotels in the area.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Vagabond_65

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the St. Regis Washington, D.C. from your stay in April 2009.

I am sorry to learn that the hotel did not fully live up to your expectations during your last stay. The hotel recently completed a major renovation and re-opened in 2008. There are Guest Rooms and Suites which have tubs and separate showers.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the St. Regis Washington, D.C. next time you come to Washington.