The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #25 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 10 September 2009

This is a hard review to write. I am a Starwood Platinum member, and this was my first stay (and probably my last) at a St Regis. I just returned from a five night stay, and while I really can't fault much, I won't stay there again. The room was nice, and the bed very comfortable. I had an interior superior deluxe (I think that was the category) room overlooking, well, nothing, but it was still airy and bright; windows on two sides. No bathtub, but that didn't bother me. TV in the bathroom mirror was a nice touch. Location was unbeatable, around the corner from Metro, 1-1/2 blocks from the White House, shops and restaurants nearby. However, I felt very uncomfortable in this hotel. I spend over 70 nights a year traveling, so I spend many nights in hotels from the simplest to very nice, but never did I feel so unwelcome. Service was very uneven, and generally cold. The desk clerks could learn to smile. Some days there was a newspaper, other days no. When nightly turndown worked, it was nice to come back to the room, as there would be two nice bottles of water and fruit. One day I returned late evening after a day out and the empty bottles and fruit were still sitting in the room from the night before (though the bed was turned down); unacceptable. I gave this hotel an average rating, and while I gave the room, location, and in this case value (I did get a good rate over a holiday weekend) average or higher ratings, I would have been happier and comfortable at the nearby Westin City Center or even the Sheraton Four Points.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank cadence8
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2009

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We do take all comments very seriously and appreciate the feedback. I do apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay.

Again, thank you for your comments, which will assist us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

We would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the St. Regis Washington on your next visit to Washington, D.C.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,309)

Reviewed 9 September 2009

We stayed in the hotel for three nights. We were in a Metropolitan Suite which is a larger open single room. The bathroom was very new and beautifully laid out with very separate sinks. The lobby is gorgeous (very old with character, freshly refurbished) and the location is great, very close to the White House. There are many great restaurants nearby as well. The staff were sort of four star corporate as opposed to five star. The check-in staff were awkward and the concierges were mixed. I would return if I wanted this DC location as opposed to Georgetown which offers a couple of other great hotels.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank tripindicular1

Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review of the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at our property and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2009

Beautiful, creative luxurious decor. Fabulous service.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2009

Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review of the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at our property and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2009

The St. Regis is an undoubtedly grand and luxurious hotel. The lobby is extravagant and smartly furnished with antique furniture. The staff are friendly and helpful and the food is delicious! With the White House literally just down the road and the Capitol only a taxi ride away, this hotel offers a fantastic location.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank mushis
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2009

Dear Guest
Thank you for the positive review of the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at our property and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2009

We spent three nights at the DC St Regis (visiting from Australia) in mid-April and were very pleased to find ourselves staying only a few hundred metres from the White House and just on the edge of the main city centre. The St Regis became part of a true Washington DC experience for us but it wasn’t all plain sailing

We arrived at the hotel at 3:00pm – the advertised check-in time – to find that our room was not ready. In this instance the delay wasn’t really a problem but I was astonished by the clerk’s lack of grace in dealing with the situation. His advice was simply: “…the hotel was full last night so your room isn’t ready; come back later…”. Needless to say, this did not live up to my expectation of a St Regis! What I expected to hear was: “Sir I do apologize that your room is slightly delayed…can I offer you complimentary afternoon tea in the lounge and I’ll call you as soon as it becomes available”.

This clerk did not turn out to be representative of the rest of the staff in the hotel who generally went out of their way to be helpful but it became clear over our stay that the St Regis does indeed have a few staff problems.

The hotel itself is in a very grand old building that exudes an ambience of old-world charm and comfort. Our room was small and somewhat over-furnished but reasonably well appointed in an antique theme. It has to be said that the bathroom was tiny and that there was no bath. There is a cool TV in the bathroom mirror but given that the bathroom is barely big enough to brush your teeth in, it’s not likely you are going to want to stand in there and watch the Today Show.

Our package included in-room breakfast which we found to be excellent in both quality and quantity. It was also delivered to our room quite quickly after we ordered.

Whilst I can see why some Tripadvisor reviewers were disappointed with the St Regis, for me it wasn’t actually bad but neither did it live up to my expectations of the St Regis brand. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it…but only if you can get it for the right price.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank qzqj7zSydney
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2009

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate the feedback. I do apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay.

With kind regards

Reviewed 17 May 2009

We loved our room at the St Regis. We had a large, comfy bed & a perfectly redone room. All staff was friendly & helpful. Great location, a couple blocks away from the white house. The bathroom was beautiful, we only wish they had a bathtub or jacuzzi.
We will stay here again on our next DC trip if we can get another good deal.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TRAVELADIX

Dear Guest

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2009

Stayed at The St Regis DC back on April 10th for one night. I was planning on staying at the Westin but was offered a rate of only $250 at The St Regis so I opted for that option instead. I must start by saying that I have stayed at many higher-end 4 Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin, Peninsula, etc. but this would be my first stay at a St Regis. Given what I hear about the St Regis brand, I assumed that expectations would be just as high as those other brands.

I arrived by train into Union Station and quickly got a taxi to the hotel. Taxi was about $10 and was a quick 10min ride. There is a metro stop not far from the hotel and valet was $40.

Was pleasantly greeted at the door and my two small bags were brought to the small reception desk. The lobby was very small but was well furnished in a nice classical decor. Reception was smooth but was plain and mechanical. I was upgraded from a superior to deluxe room as SPG Gold. At this point my bags where sitting next to reception on the floor with no offer for help or any bellman in sight. Let me say that I definitely did not need help and if offered I would of refused because I could manage it, but I would expect the offer from the reception or bellman.

The room was very small but well decorated and spotless all around. I was very impressed with the materials they choose for the room and it was definitely on par with 5-star properties. I must say that if I was staying here for more than 1-2 nights, this room would be too small. There were a grand list of available amenities available but did not take advantage of any. The view I had was of 16th St, which was nothing special. However, I did hear 2 different people complain about their view, which must of been at the other side of the hotel.

Location was very close to the White House and the National Mall. Had no problem walking anywhere in those areas. The only problem I had found is beyond the tourist sites on The Mall, the hotel is not very convenient. You will need a taxi to any good shopping, nightlife or dining areas. That could get annoying after a few days. However, for me I'd rather be close to all the tourist sites given my 1 night stay

The concierge was no help at all. I went for help in locating a lunch spot and was disappointed with the food. The type of dinner spot I requested was not what I asked for when I got there. Finally the kind of nightlife I wanted was a complete opposite. I ended up going to a different place to eat and a different place to party. Checkout again was plain and mechanical.

Overall the property itself was very well appointed in high end materials and sits in a great location to see all the sites. The rooms were luxurious but the size was disappointing. The service is far below a 5 star property given the coldness of the reception and lack of knowledge of the concierge. I would stay here again if the price is at a lower end. Otherwise if you are looking for 5-star treatment go elsewhere in DC.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Benzgt
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2009

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. in April 2009. The St. Regis Washington, D.C. recently completed an extensive renovation and re-opened in 2008. Your comments pertaining to the service you received at the Front Desk and Concierge have been noted. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate the feedback. I do apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay.

With kind regards