“Terrible lighting in the bathroom”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #22 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 6 December 2010

While the St. Regis Hotel is in an ideal location (within view/walking distance of the White House) and I thought the service and hotel bar were very good, I was disappointed with the rooms. We stayed on the top floor in a room that was supposedly recently remodeled (hard to tell). The bathroom lighting was terrible (even my husband agreed), the water pressure in the shower was minimal, the hotel dryers were very cheap and there was very little closet space (if we stayed for more than 3 nights, it would have been a problem) and you can hear doors opening and slamming shut in the hallways (by both other guests and the cleaning staff). Also the exercise room for a hotel of St. Regis' stature was pathetic - 600 square feet, with 2 treadmills and 2 elliptical. Unfortunately, at the hotel rate, I think it would be easy to find other hotels with better amenities and for this reason, I would recommend other hotels.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PKF21
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am disappointed to read some of the challenges that were experienced. I would like to speak to you at your earliest convenience. I may be reached at 202.638.2626 or if your prefer by e-mail ammar.samad@st.regis.com

I look forward to connecting with you regarding your feedback.

Director of Rooms

There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Washington, D.C.

Reviewed 27 November 2010

We stayed in this hotel based on all the positive feedback from TripAdvisor. We went to DC for 6 days with my family and 2 children plus my mom and husband's parents. I stayed here mainly because of the location to the White House.
This hotel is beautiful and it has everything you would want in a luxury hotel including turndown service.
One of the concierges, Lida made Thanksgiving reservations and booked transportation to and from the hotel before our trip began. Well done and something a hotel of this stature thankfully provides. The other concierges there were equally as helpful, booking hotel reservations and offering directions with their endless supplies of maps.
The rooms are small, but a perfect size for me, especially since I booked an adjacent room for our children in the bedroom next door. The bedding is comfortable, however, the mattress was just a bit on the lumpy side with indentations along the edges on the king. Each room had a snack and beverage refrigerator and a IPHONE/IPOD docking station. King bed rooms have a couch and double do not. My children, especially my son loved the second TV being built in behind the mirror in the bathroom. Keep your toiletries inside your makeup bag….there is no room for them on the cramped bathroom countertops. There also aren’t any drawers either. Again, I’m thankful we booked the children in another room.
High speed internet: Yes,,there is high speed internet but there is a substantial charge. Plus, unlike other hotels I have stayed in, you cannot use your paid access for both your IPHONE and you IPAD. The charge is PER device. I did not like this at all as my husband and I have 2 IPHONES + the IPAD. There is no reason to charge for each device. Internet access is free in the lobby, however, we really preferred to use them in our rooms.
One thing we did not like with the hotel was the work-out room. It was very small and the room had a terrible echo to it. It was in the basement, and like added amenities in older hotels, this was an afterthought. Unfortunately, we went by the Ritz Carlton and the Fairmont in Georgetown and their gyms were amazing. The Fairmont had a Jacuzzi and pool plus a spa. I really should have done my homework and selected something like this as I was so sore after walking around Washington all day! The children would also had something to do in the evenings as well. I loved the St Regis for its location but frankly, we had to take cabs to get out to most of our destinations anyways. Staying in Georgetown wouldn’t have been an issue at all. I only found out later by reading the hotel book in the room that we could have worked out in a place 2 blocks away for $15 a day. I wish I knew about that before, while not very convenient, it was a nice option.
At 6pm in the lobby, don’t forget to be there for a complimentary glass of Champagne. Unless you’re a business traveler getting your expenses covered by your corporation, you’ll recoil at the prices of an alcoholic beverage in the bar or even the price of your breakfast. Even though we do pretty well, the breakfast prices were alarming. Take note: There are no prices for children or children’s menus. A real shame because we would have loved to try the restaurant in the evening where it sat mostly empty.
Another note regarding children: There are no welcoming amenities for children upon check-in. Something that the Ritz does well is offering these. It’s just a nice touch.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank flgirlaol

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are delighted that overall you enjoyed your experience. We are very fortunate to have a Chef Concierge Lida and her team that ensures our guest needs is handled warmly and efficiently. I would like to speak to directly at your earliest convenience about some of the opportunities you mentioned. I may be reached at 202.638.2626 or if your prefer by e-mail Ammar.samad@st.regis.com

I look forward to connecting with you soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2010

Forget the glitz of the Ritz, the seasoned over 4, and the other wannabees... this is the sophisticated, demure, and discreet hotel in DC. No question it is hands down the top of the mark in this city. Matches the St. R. in NYC, and that is a high standard, indeed.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent experience at The St. Regis Washington, D.C. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2010

I don't often write reviews, but I was compelled to write about my recent stay at the St. Regis Washington. Upon arrival, the warmth of the lobby and the staff created a feeling of home. The location is perfect for the business traveler. It's a walk to my DC office, and enabled me to get a jog around the Mall. I was upgraded to a huge room, with butler service. The staff was very attentive, and I was greeted by name.

I will not stay at any other hotel in DC!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2010

Dear St.Regis Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We are delighted to learn that we have earned your loyalty to our hotel. We are very fortunate to have a staff that is bespoke and uncompromising in their commitment to our guests. We look forward to your next visit to your home away from home.

Reviewed 8 November 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in October, 2010. Here are our thoughts:

- First, the location is fantastic...a 5 minute walk has you at the white house, 10 minutes has you at the National Mall. Restaurants are not far away if you don't want to dine at the hotel.
- The hotel itself is beautiful. Very "regal". Beautiful fresh flowers in the lobby. The rooms made us feel like we were royalty or something. They weren't huge, but the red and gold in the room felt very luxurious. The TV in the bathroom mirror was a neat touch. There is not a lot of counter space in the bathroom, and be sure to put the towel down outside the shower as the shower is not sealed and therefore water can get on the floor when you shower.
- checking in was smooth and quick. One of our bags was lost by the airline and not under the name of our reservation - but they wrote that down and our bag did get to us when it was delivered - so that was great.
- can't speak to the food as we never ate in the hotel
- the workout room was pretty good - treadmills, ellipticals, and a universal-like weight machine. It was a good temperature in there for a workout - and the fresh fruit was great for after our workouts.
- that sums up the positives about this hotel. Before I list the negatives, let me give a frame of reference. I have stayed at many hotels for work - two major ones in this group of hotels are the Sheraton Eau Claire in Calgary, Alberta as well as the Sheraton in Indianapolis, Indiana a lot over the last 10 years. The St. Regis is supposed to be the upper end of hotels - so we used some points to stay here to spoil ourselves. I expected better service than I had received at any Sheraton or Westin, but was quite disappointed - here are some areas that surprised me:

- the butler service. We have never stayed anywhere that there was a butler - we truthfully had no idea what we would ask "our" butler to do. But, we didn't have to worry about that because we never saw him/her. We thought at the very least they would call and introduce themselves, but nothing. At other Sheratons, I have often received a welcome call from the hotel manager - sometimes a letter in the room addressed specifically to me. There were no personal touches provided by the butler service. I can't comment on how the service would have been if we had used it - but for those of us that haven't experienced a butler service before, it would have been nice to have them stop by our room, introduce themselves and let them know what services they would be happy to provide.
- housekeeping - our room was clean, but I had to call down for a new blow dryer as the one in the room broke. No big deal, but after waited 30 minutes, I gave up and we left. For a hotel of this level, I would have expected a quicker response.
- turn down service - all they did was turn down the bed. No little chocolate or tea or slippers. I have received all of these at other Sheratons.
- greetings - when we came in and out of the hotel, greetings were far and few in between. One fellow at the front door usually asked us if we needed a cab - but we were only ever asked if he was there. The front desk never said hello when we came in - even when eye contact was made. The place that we found the friendly staff was in the basement where the banquet rooms and workout room is. Every staff member we passed there said hello - we wished we had hit the workout room more often!

Overall - the hotel is beautiful, but we were very disappointed in the service. Had I paid for the rooms, I would have been extremely disappointed. I will stay at any Sheraton or Westin over the St Regis and save my money/points.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gotta_travel40
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2010

Dear St.Regis Guest

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the experience that you had.

We are committed to ensuring every guest has a memorable stay. I would like the opportunity to speak to you directly. Please contact me at 202.638.2626 or at ammar.samad@stregis.com at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 8 November 2010

My wife and I live in New York, but travel to DC quite frequently to visit friends and family. We typically will stay with friends and family, however on this trip, we stayed at the St Regis because we were attending a wedding there. Upon check-in, we were greeted by very nice front desk associates. As a SPG, I was offered a complementary upgrade. Ertug, the front office manager was especially friendly - making sure that we were happy with our room, I'd rate this hotel a 9/10. Because we were using a combination of "cash and points" through SPG, the rate was only $150/night - however at $400+/night, I'd say that this is a bit high. All in all, great stay. Thank you again to Ertug for making us feel welcome.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank iamaskibum

Dear St.Regis Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. We are delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. We are very proud of Ertug and the rest of our team for their dedication to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2010

Our stay at the St Regis was a wonderful experience. We were traveling with our two teenage children. The hotel is warm and welcoming. The lobby is stately and elegant. The business center provides all amenities one would need while traveling. The staff is cordial and eager to help (the concierge was terrific with providing guidance). We eagerly anticipated our return to the hotel each day to discover the treats left in our room for our enjoyment. We did encounter a problem with our room upon check-in and it was handled much to our satisfaction by Ertug Ersoy the Front Desk Manager.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank jojogogo62
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2010

Dear St.Regis Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay. We are very fortunate to have our magnificent and stately lobby. We are delighted that Ertug and the rest of our team ensured that you and your family a memorable stay. We look forward to your next stay.