“New Favorite!”
Review of Letena

Letena
Reserve with OpenTable
Letena is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #728 of 3,705 Restaurants in Washington DC
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I have been a casual fan of Ethiopian food since I moved to DC, but it wasn’t until I tried Letena that I actually started craving it. This place is perfect: the ambiance is modern accented with unique Ethiopian artwork, the owners are gracious and accommodating, and the food is amazing. Some of our favorites are the chef’s signature tibs, the broccoli avocado salad, and the lentils. I would also recommend trying “Meta,” an Ethiopian amber beer they serve. I feel so lucky to have found this little hidden gem!

Reviewed 24 May 2018

Letena isn't the closest Ethiopian restaurant to us, but it's the one we love the most. Last weekend, my husband and I took a friend who had never had Ethiopian food there and we all loved it. I can especially recommend the beef tibs and the vegetable sampler. The owner visited our table several times to inquire about our experience. The service was terrific, the Ethiopian beer was good, and the food was fabulous. It's defniitely our go-to place for Ethiopian!

Reviewed 10 May 2018

Had dinner here recently and it wasn't a very satisfying experience. We are huge fans of Ethiopian food, tried several restaurants in almost every city we visited over the years. We know how authentic Ethiopian food tastes like which we didn't find at Letena.

We ordered their vegetarian combo in addition to one meat dish. Portions were generous and the ingera was fresh and tasty. Unfortunately though, the different dishes tasted more or less the same, as if all were prepared using the same ingredients- think frozen food, fast food, etc. Even their doro wat didn't have that distinctive, delicious taste. Very disappointing.

One more issue- the restaurant had poor ventilation and the smell of food being cooked was overpowering. We definitely walked out smelling like we had been doing the cooking ourselves. For this reason alone, I wouldn't go back to this restaurant.

To end on a positive note, the restaurant itself was beautiful. They had several, interesting art pieces on display. Also, we thought service was friendly and prompt.

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Went in and sat down. Had to ask for water, had to ask for glasses. 15 minutes went by and never saw a menu or a server. Went to leave and the owner thanked us for stopping. Went to Mellow Mushroom...food was GREAT.

Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

This was our first taste of Ethiopian food and it was absolutely wonderful! The staff are welcoming and sweet and the chai tea was authentic. Great quality of food, wonderful staff and experience!