Cardozo Guest House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Windsor Inn(Washington DC)
Average 3/5
The Embassy Inn(Washington DC)
Average 3/5
Kimpton Carlyle Hotel(Washington DC)
  • Free Internet
  • Room Service
Kimpton Rouge Hotel(Washington DC)
  • Restaurant
Washington Plaza Hotel(Washington DC)
  • Pool
All reviewsu streetpembroke roomb barrival instructionsbought groceriested's bulletinvibrant neighborhoodmetro stationceiling fanfelt like homeprivate bathcoffee makerlocation is excellentdc visitfew minutes walkbars and restaurantswhite house
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Cardozo Guest House is a five-minute walk from the U Street Metro station and at least a dozen restaurants. My room was clean, charming and comfortable, and I enjoyed relaxing on the love seat in the living room at the end of a busy day. The only improvement I would make is adding window shades to the guest room. The lovely lace curtains were not sufficient to darken the room for sleeping in an urban setting. The house is "unhosted," which means there is no manager onsite, but this is part of why it is an outstanding value. The owner, housekeeper and management are also available by phone. Although the do-it-yourself arrangement may not appeal to everyone, for me, the experience was superior to a hotel at a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I stayed at the furnished apartment underneath the Cordoza Guest House the first month I was living in DC. I moved out from the West Coast with nothing but suitcases and this was a great transition into the city. It was clean, comfortable and exactly what I needed. I even forgot some items when I left and was called day of so they could be returned. Would stay here again or recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 December 2012

The stay was wonderful and the accomadations were great. I stayed in the duxbury room (very clean and comfortable) If your looking for something in the heart of the city without the clutter and hassle of hotels and busy streets, this is a great place. It is very close to the metro and quite accessible and walkable in almost any direction. However, be aware that you are still in the city and there are still "tougher" areas in the surrounding area. I am not holding anything against the guesthouse but I parked my car in the ally parking spot behind the guesthouse and my rear window was shattered and multiple items taken from my vehicle. This really shouldn't be a deterrent to getting a room just, I would be cautious about what you leave in your car and where you are at all times, as I lost sight of that while there.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank adampinwheelski
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My friend and I stayed in the 3rd floor (walk-up) suite for four nights away from work and stress. (Note: Be prepared for narrow stairs and no elevator, just as described.) The house is beautifully set-up with huge bedroom and even huger bathroom with jacuzzi (a super plus selling point) and just 2 blocks from the subway and U Street. The street was mostly quiet except for garbage pickup morning and some late night activity, but that is part of what is expected from a neighborhood home as opposed to a sterile hotel and only added to the charm. Probably the best part of staying at the Cardozo Guest House was discovering the U Street Corridor - this was a completly unknown area to me until now. The neighborhood has a rich history - which you can learn by visiting the excellent restaurant/local haunt, Busboys and Poets, just off U Street with lots of great eating and drinking spots just a few steps away. The Bohemian Cavern was another fabulous find; we visited on open mic night and had a fabulous evening as part of a community. All of DC is within 15-20 minutes Metro ride on uncrowded subway cars, but coming "home" after sightseeing was so much nicer than returning to a hotel. I will definitely plan to stay here again when I am next in the area - a truly unique experience that added substantially to my romantic getaway.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor - totally private and secluded. Tons of space and mostly quiet. Jacuzzi was excellent. Just be aware of the 3 narrow flights of walk-up.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WIWT
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I'm not one for interaction with strangers, especially early in the morning. This B&B didn't come with the 'Breakfast', but given the U Street Cafe just around the corner whenever I wanted, that was fine. The subway was nearby, though most nights we walked through Dupont Circle to get back (not too long a walk for New Yorkers used to trekking 40 blocks at a go).

The neighborhood was exceedingly charming, filled with small, neat brick houses. Two blocks away on the main drag was all the nightlife we could've wanted, if we weren't worn out by walking all day.

I only saw another boarder once, and never formally met the owner. For me, that was an added bonus - once you get your key via the instructions, you're out and about on your own. Unlike most B&Bs, we didn't have to worry about check-in times or curfews.

We had the Pembroke room, the smallest available. With pleasant window views, this was plenty large enough for two. It had the benefit/downside of the bathroom being just out the door; as it's a shared bathroom we occasionally 'competed' with others for use, a minor annoyance.

This room sits just off the top of a long flight of stairs, potentially problematic for anyone with leg pains, but not too bad for us after a day of walking. Another potential issue for those with leg/balance problems was the steep shower with no slip guard. Not a problem for me, but something I noticed.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple