“Basic”

Ranked #11 of 36 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Westminster, Colorado
“Basic”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

The location of the Guesthouse was convenient to the Metro, but the neighborhood area was quite dirty with garbage/trash very evident. Noisy in the evenings, but I had read this in other reviews. It did not disturb us that much. We were on the 3rd floor, so quite a walk up but the room was spacious. The bed was comfortable, but the bathroom was a bit rundown. Broken and poorly patched granite tiles. The shower rod did not have a spring and fell down on us 3 times. I finally had to call the management company to contact the owner to replace it so as not to injury my elderly mother. When it was replaced it still had the very large sticker on it from when it was purchased. There is no breakfast as mentioned, and the next time I travel I will not stay in a Bed and "Breakfast" without that offering. The pictures of the rooms on the website show a fireplace, however, the fireplaces are boarded up and not usable. The living areas were decent and nicely decorated, but the use of the kitchen was questionable. Dirty dishes in sink, no ice in the icemaker as it had owner frozen food shoved in there. All in all a decent place to sleep but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New Zealand
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I understand first hand how vital these reviews are when booking accommodation, especially when traveling significant distances from a foreign country. My partner and I traveled from New Zealand to the USA and we chose the Cardozo Guest House as accommodation for our short two night stay in Washington D.C, mostly based on these reviews. With this review, I have tried my best to give everyone an accurate, unbiased account of our stay, especially for people travelling a fair distance.

The online booking system and confirmation correspondence from the bed and breakfast management team was excellent and gave clear, concise instructions on how to get to the guest house and how to get in, due to the fact there are no staff on hand. This made booking simple and gave us peace of mind before we had even left New Zealand.

The house itself is quite old and is therefore quite noisy. You can easily hear each step a person takes when moving about and most of the outside traffic noise (mostly sirens) as the walls are very thin. We stayed in the 'Pembroke' room which was located up the first flight of stairs right next to the shared bathroom. This meant that whenever anyone had a shower, we could easily hear water through the pipes which was rather loud. If you are a light sleeper or trying to get over jet-lag (as we were) I would make sure you select to stay in a quieter room. The mattress on our bed was quite hard and the bed itself was slightly too short for me (I'm around 6 ft). The room would also benefit from curtains over the windows, especially over the small window above the door, as there is no way to block light from the hallway or the bathroom.

The house had character and was clean, tidy and inviting. Our room was stocked with towels, bottled water, a coffee machine and an electric heater as it can get a little cold at night.

A taxi to National Mall will cost you approximately $11.00 USD, or will take approximately 30 minutes to walk the same distance. There are several cafes and restaurants within a 5 minute radius of the guest house which makes finding a place to eat simple if you don't want to travel too far at the end of the day.

Overall, our stay was adequate. The location was fine and the small amount of correspondence we had with the management was excellent, but I wouldn't recommend the 'Pembroke' room for extended visits. If you are planning on staying for an extended period of time an have the money, try to book a room further from the shared bathroom.

Room Tip: For longer stays, try to book a room further from the shared bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike W
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 2 April 2013

On a residential block, in a neighborhood full of places to hangout at (eat, drink, etc.). And - other areas are in reasonable walking distance (e.g., Adam's Morgan). We even walked down to the National Mall one day. And for non-walkers: it's near the Metro and buses to everywhere. We had the top room; plenty of space. Cleanly kept. Quiet. Very fairly priced.

So why not five stars? Well, it's five stars for anyone who arrives without a car. But, if you have a car, you park it in the back of the house, via an alleyway. The space is deigned for two cars - but it's extremely EXTREMELY tight. And there is very little room to maneuver, as the alleyway is narrow. One of the two parking spaces was occupied when we arrived. It was so difficult to get our car into the space without hitting the other car or the stone wall that's alongside the property. In fact, I'm convinced that the only reason I successfully parked the car was that the parking space on the property on the other side of the alleyway was vacant at the time - allowing me to first pull a bit into their property, and then back up into the Inn's spot.

We didn't use the car the entire time. Went to check on the car a few days later and there was a long scratch on the side of the car that was facing the other car. Didn't tell anyone, because, firstly, I was still on vacation and didn't want to get more upset. Secondly (and mostly), there was no way of undoing it. And, I didn't feel I could blame the owners because I saw some other properties in that alleyway, just as small, with two cars squeezed in that same sized space. I honestly don't know how they do it - they must be used to it. But the first car that was in the parking space surely hit my car when they pulled out.

I related this story just to warn anyone who goes here with a car. Apart from that, it's really a pleasant place.

Well, maybe one more little caveat - as a previous review may have mentioned - the bathroom window curtain is quite flimsy - and there are windows/houses across the way. It's quite likely that they could see in if it's night time, and you're walking around butt naked with the bathroom light lighting up the place. But, if that doesn't bother you,... enjoy.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ashfordst
Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the Hingham room with boyfriend for the Cherry Blossom festival and had a wonderful stay. U street was the place to be and this location could not have been better. The room was a bit cold and sharing the bathroom was a bit of a nuisance (listening to make sure no one else was in there) but overall, wonderful stay. The house itself is so charming and unique- I loved what a different kind of lodging we had. Great alternative to the big hotels if you are in DC!

• Stayed March 2013
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I spent two nights in the Hingham room at the front of the house. It was well furnished and equipped - but suffered from both heat loss and light pollution! The location is excellent and for me - an inveterate walker - it was perfectly possible to walk into town each day for work. The owners have a lovely and intriguing house - but little touches, for instance, a blind over the bedroom door to block out the light from the landing; and an additional heater in the chilly bedroom would have made a big difference.

Room Tip: A room at the back would avoid the glare of street lighting.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Cardozo Guest House is a five-minute walk from the U Street Metro station and at least a dozen restaurants. My room was clean, charming and comfortable, and I enjoyed relaxing on the love seat in the living room at the end of a busy day. The only improvement I would make is adding window shades to the guest room. The lovely lace curtains were not sufficient to darken the room for sleeping in an urban setting. The house is "unhosted," which means there is no manager onsite, but this is part of why it is an outstanding value. The owner, housekeeper and management are also available by phone. Although the do-it-yourself arrangement may not appeal to everyone, for me, the experience was superior to a hotel at a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Washington, DC
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I stayed at the furnished apartment underneath the Cordoza Guest House the first month I was living in DC. I moved out from the West Coast with nothing but suitcases and this was a great transition into the city. It was clean, comfortable and exactly what I needed. I even forgot some items when I left and was called day of so they could be returned. Would stay here again or recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo