“Excellent location, excellent price”

Cardozo Guest House
Ranked #12 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Texas
“Excellent location, excellent price”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I've stayed here several times. If you don't mind a shared bath, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better deal in D.C. (There's a room with its own bath, but I haven't stayed in that one.) Great location, easy Metro access (on same Metro line as National airport), clean and comfortable.

Some reviews commented on noise from other guests. I've never had a problem with that, but I reserve the small bedroom that shares a wall only with the bathroom (and I'm not particularly sensitive to noise).

Bed & Breakfast D.C.is great to deal with for this house and the other properties they book -- very helpful and responsive.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
virginia
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband and I went to DC for a 2 night anniversary get-away. We stumbled on this place after finding all our hotel options were expensive or had scary reviews. I am glad the other options were so bad as it led us to the Cardozo Guest House and our stay could not have been better. The guest house is nicely decorated, clean, and in a great location. They send you very detailed instructions prior to arrival and the house is easy to find following their directions. We stayed in the Norwell (the upstairs suite) and loved the spacious room and beautiful bathroom. I am not sure I'd be comfortable sharing a bathroom with strangers so if you are like me I'd recommend the Norwell. The variety of K-cups provided (a coffee machine is in the room) and mini-fridge were very nice touches that made our stay more comfortable. Though we mostly stayed in our room while in the house, the house is very clean and the high ceilings throughout were georgous.

I don't think anyone else was staying here while we were so I can't comment on how noisy it would get but the Norwell is on the top floor and so we felt like it was nicely secluded. We did see the housekeeper, Mary, both days we were there. She is very friendly and does a great job keeping the house in shape.

The location can't be beat- lots of restaurants and shops nearby and a couple blocks to the metro. We went to the 9;30 club for a concert and walked there and back. The neighborhood a few blocks over is a little sketchy only late at night but the street of the guesthouse seems safe. We did park our car at the house and there are 2 spots (you reserve one prior to arrival if you want one) that would be tight with a larger car. We were very happy to park our car on arrival and not have to move it until we left.

All in all this is a great find and also a great value! I would recommend the Norwell (or I believe there is an efficiency in the basement) if you prefer a lot of privacy. I hope to stay here on future trips to DC!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Tybee Island, Georgia
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This house was gorgeous, with a perfect location for me to see the sights of washington without once needing to go on the metro. The walk to the tourist locations was scattered with restaurants and coffee shops and everything you would need for a stay! The house itself was clean and comfortable with a spacious bathroom which remained clean throughout the stay (even though it was shared)! Check in instructions were very clear and helpful and it was so cheap!!! I was surprised when I arrived to find the house was even nicer than the photos described! The housekeeper was lovely and they allowed us to keep our baggage in the house because our flights were not till later in the evening! If you want a chilled stay in washington this is the place to go! I would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2013

This place is amazing considering the money you can save staying here instead of a hotel. I also love the neighborhood & that it exposed us to a residential area of DC. It's close to the train stop, bars/clubs, and brunch spots. I would love to return to this area again. As for the house itself, you really do hear EVERYTHING that goes on. I would be afraid to have sex here. Seriously, couples, keep that in consideration. It was pretty clean when we went. I guess it just depends on who the other guests are.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This property is beautiful, impeccably clean, and visually even more delightful than the photos reflect - it's warm and wonderful. The grounds are lush and great, it's in a perfect location for walking or for catching the Metro (really, couldn't be better) and the price is fantastic. BUT, there are some buts. Two major ones:
1. The rooms are connected by a single panel wooden door which means everything from whispers to passed gas is heard from room to room with virtually no obstruction of sound. It was the least privacy I've ever had in my life, apart from just sharing a room with others, which is essentially what we were doing. Any attempt at conversation will be heard word-for-word by the person next door, and good luck if you go to bed earlier or rise later than they do; you're in it together, you and that stranger. In addition, there was a window above the door to our room that was uncovered when we checked in, allowing anyone on the stairs to look directly in -- a fact that was only realized when I was changing my clothes and looked up to make ACTUAL EYE CONTACT with another guest walking down the stairs, now looking directly at me in the buff.
2. The no-host bit made for some very strange things, most notably: No one was there to govern the place to keep it feeling like a B&B rather than like a dormitory without an RA. When we arrived there were no other guests present, but there were open suitcases on the floor in the lobby/living room, a purse and wallet on the dining room table, boots in random hallways, and the door to our neighboring room WIDE open with the bed unmade, underpants strewn about, and and exploded suitcase on the floor. It stayed that way for the entire first day. The next day? More random personal items strewn all over the house and kitchen. It felt like we had rented a room in a house where the other rooms were occupied by actual residents, rather than feeling like we had rented a room in a B&B. We felt equally like intruders on their space and bothered by the other guests (residents?) intrusions upon us.
Beautiful room? Yes. Marvelously clean rooms and bathrooms? Indeed. Totally uncomfortable setup? Completely. Romantic stay for a DC getaway weekend? Nope.
My advice? If you can book all the rooms in this place as a group, this would be an INCREDIBLE location and home to inhabit together and use as your home base. If, however, you'll just be renting A room, prepare yourself to have to love the ones you're with. ...

Room Tip: Seemed like maybe the top floor was one entire room? If so, I'd go for that. Avoid booking on th...
2 Thank K S
Kutztown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Beautiful BnB. We went to DC Mother's Day weekend n stayed at the Cardozo House for 2 nights. Bedroom on the second floor was spacious n comfortable. Had to share the bath at the end of the hall with another guest. Not a problem. Mary, the housekeeper was a gem. Sorry we didn't get to meet the owners. They are not there full time. No breakfast but Star Bucks is right around the corner up the block. Reserve the parking spot behind the house. Well worth the money. Seems u have to move your car if you park out front often. Best way to get to DC from there is the Metro train into Union Station then take the Trolley. Best way to see n get around DC. They have drop off/pick up points through out DC. Would definitely stay at the Cardozo House again!

Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed in Cardozo Guesthouse for 2 nights. First of all potential guest must understand that this is more of a rent apartment experience, not a B&B or hotel experience. There is no reception, or host at the house and there is no breakfast. When we arrived, we found the key at the locker attached to the iron gate, then we found the key to our room on the table at the corridor. The room we booked ( Hingham) was beautiful and very clean. Bathroom was shared with 2 other rooms, also very nice and clean. We never saw other guests, but we heard somebody walking on the floor above us.Our room was equipped with a fridge,coffee machine with nice coffee selection, and hair dryer. There was no TV in the room. Sitting area near the window was very nice and cozy.
Location of the guesthouse is great. Metro station is very close, and it takes only few stations to the main attractions of the city. We even walked down to the White house from Cardozo and it did not take long time. Area around the house is very quiet both at day time and night time. Area near the metro station is more lively, with many young people partying in numerous bars during night time.

Room Tip: We recommend Hingham
1 Thank Kira_UA