“Ups and Downs”

Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #21 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I stayed 4 nights at the hotel.
Pretty good location. Always very attentive and nice staff.
Room looks like it was created from a studio apartment. OK space.
In bathroom there was a bathtub with a faucet only and a separate, very small shower. The bathtub was not deep enough to soak in it,and there was no shower head around it, so basically it was useless, however, it took the room from the shower.
The hotel should have taken the bathtub out and make a big shower or just put the shower in the bathtub as it is in the majority of the hotels, and to use the room of the existing shower for something else.
Also, there were no curtains on the windows, only blackout shades. There was an office building about 30 feet away from the hotel, so, if the blackout shade was not closed the office workers could see into the room. A thin curtain could have solved this problem.

Room Tip: Not really sure there are good rooms regarding the curtain issue, or, if the bathrooms are different...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2012

Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: 10002Peter, I do apologize for the “downs” you encountered during your stay. We are all looking forward to our renovation next year, so we hope you give us another shot at turning your experience around. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

This hotel is very conviently located near The Capitol and Union Station and also the Metro Red Line. We arrived to the usual Kimpton experience with a very nicely appointed room with enough space. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean and upfitted with a contemporary flavor. While we did not dine in the restaraunt we did have drinks in the bar and the service was very special and friendly and prices were reasonable for DC. As usual at a Kimpton you saw their furry friends in the hotel and one standard poodle had a dyed ear and head job.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: CaHar, thank you for the great review!! We look forward to providing you many more excellent stays! We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We recently stayed at the George Hotel and found the staff among the friendliest I've ever encountered. The property is unique with nicely appointed rooms. We will definitely stay at the George again and highly recommend it to fellow travelers!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: Jonathan160, thank you for the excellent review and shout out to our wonderful staff! We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 6 October 2012

One of the best. There wasnt anything
about this hotel I could complain about except the price of the parking. Looking forward to our next visit. This time we will make a long weekend out of it. A+++ Very very welcoming to our dog and us the service, staff is TOP NOTCH :) EXCELLENT PEOPLE SKILLS

• Stayed: September 2012

Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: phut424, thank you for the TOP NOTCH review!! We too are looking forward to your next stay here with us!! Oh and don’t forget to bring the four-legged friend!

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I stayed at three different hotels while visiting D.C. Oct 1-4th, 2012. I booked my hotels on hotwire and was hoping for the chance to stay at Hotel George (because of tripadvisor reviews). Compared to the other hotels I stayed at, Hotel George was amazing. By the way the other hotels were Capital Hilton & Westin City Center D.C. While the other hotels were big and beautiful, Hotel George provided exceptional accommodations during my stay. They have a program where you can borrow or keep things you forgot, such as tooth brushes, tooth paste, hairspray, mouthwash, contact solution, flat iron, curling iron, etc. I thought that was amazing. I asked for a couple items and they sent up a bag full of goodies. I only wish I had that at Westin where I had to purchase contact solution for $10.00 (I forgot to pack it). Additionally, Hotel George has wonderful staff. When I arrived I was very stressed out after attempting to drive in D.C. The employees at Hotel George made me feel very welcomed. I truly love this hotel. Oh, I forgot to mention the manager is great. Food is amazing! Try the Bistro out if you have the chance. Rooms are great, too. I love everything about this hotel; I could go on & on. Just book a room and find out for yourself! I know, I should probably be on their commercial for this review… but I just really recommend it!

Room Tip: Valet Parking is around $40 per night. If you can prevent driving, do so!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ghmjones
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: Ghmjones, thank you so much for the 5 star review!! Believe me, you're not alone... Driving in DC can be very, very stressful and I am soo happy to see that we were able to take care of you! Oh and yes… When we have commercials for Hotel George, you will be the first to know! Please come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I booked a stay at the hotel George. I was traveling on business but my 2 years old and husband were with me as they were going to sightsee in DC for a few days. This location was perfect for everything I needed to do, I could take the metro, circulator and the hotel is 2 blocks from Union Station. My husband and son could walk almost everywhere from the hotel.

Since I started traveling with my son in addition to my normal criteria I also rate hotels on how they treat my child. We arrived at the hotel at 7pm, after the complementary wine hour, but the front desk asked us if we wanted wine upon arrival, and my husband had a glass of white wine while we were being checked into the hotel. The desk clerk also presented my son with a bag of toys, which were a big hit. We also received free internet access and a $10 mini bar credit because we are Kimpton loyalty message. I must have misunderstood the Kimpton website about the free breakfast as this hotel did not have the complimentary breakfast as listed on the site. However, there is a café (The West Wing Café) that has a good selection of breakfast items and is very reasonable.

The room was adequate there was nothing wrong with the room, but I agree with the reviews that they could use a slight remodel. The staff was fantastic and we had a wonderful meal at the hotel restaurant (Bistro Bis) which is one of the best restaurants in DC.

Overall, we had a lovely stay at the Hotel George and the staff was terrific.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: JFSD, thank you for the lovely review! We like to ensure everyone feels welcome at our hotel, especially the little ones! We are so happy we were able to provide such a great stay for you and your family! We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 4 October 2012

The staff of Hotel George were extremely friendly and welcoming to myself and my dogs. The hotel allows any size, any number of dogs and no deposit. Sign the contract that says you understand the rules and you're good to go. The hotel is experiencing renovations and while the hallways are a bit shabby looking the rooms are nice and clean. Two bowls and a dog bed and dog treats awaited my three dogs when I got into the room and all the staff were very accomodating to us.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2012

Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: Meg F, thank you for the wonderful review! Of course being a pet-friendly hotel, we looove welcoming our four-legged friends!! Please come back and visit again soon!