“Very nice in some regards but average overall”

Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #22 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I stayed at Hotel George for a week so got to see it from many different angles. First off, the front door staff is awesome and very friendly, they make you feel at home from the second that you enter. The Bistro Bis is also a great little restaurant and I liked the happy hour and snacks each evening, that was a very nice touch.The major downside of this facility is its age and the rooms. I felt that everything was quite dated in the rooms and many faced the street, leading to never ending nice and making it hard to sleep.

In short, the hotel is average -- it is fine and typically a good deal looking for a family to visit DC for touring or other activities that will keep you away from the hotel for large chunks of time. It is not, however, a luxurious four star hotel (or even a strong Kimpton for that matter, as many are better). It is an average hotel that is nice for a quick stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank TheDeacon87
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Ouch on the average but appreciate your time and your business. Come back soon.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton George Hotel

Reviewed 26 June 2013

As usual, my stay at a Kimpton Hotel was great...this time The George right by Union Station in Washington DC which was handy for my travel plans. Such a shame it was such a rushed one-night visit that I didn't get to participate in the evening drinks social or sample the restaurant. But slept well on a super comfortable bed with my favorite type of pillows. My internet connection as a Kimpton InTouch member was free. All the staff that I came in touch with were friendly and courteous and so very helpful finding me a cab that accepted a credit card! Will look for more Kimpton Hotel opportunities and will definitely come back to The George.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Linda S

General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you Linda. Come back again when you have more time and let us know what you would like to do and we can help arrange in advance some really cool things to do in our Nation’s Capitol.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed at the Hotel George from May 13-17 and had a wonderful stay. The staff was extremely friendly and was willing to accommodate just about any request. When I arrived, the valet pointed me to free curbside parking, as opposed to paying the $40 valet fee. He also pointed out the parking lot that was directly across the street from the hotel that I could use as well. I really appreciated this honesty. The room, while not overly big, was clean and well appointed. The room came with the cutest robes to put on - one leopard, and one zebra print, as opposed to the traditional white. I thought that was a nice touch. The location is just at the edge of Georgetown, which provides for great shopping. There was a nightly reception which offered complimentary wine, which was great for unwinding after a long day of class. An overall great stay, and I'd definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Use the parking lot across the street as opposed to valet :)
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ohgyrl

General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you Richmond VA for your Quality review. Appreciate your business and taking the time to share your experience. Thank you

Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed at the Hotel George Innauguration weekend 2013 and loved it.
Service: Service was 5 star. This was a busy weekend and the hotel was likely booked to capacity, but the staff was very gracious and attentive. It couldn't been a mad house, but they ran it like a well oiled machine. Check-in and check-out were quick and efficient. The complimentary Kimpton happy hour is always appreciated, as is the complimentary mini-bar for In Touch Loyalty members. I also loved the free hand warmers given to all hotel guests the morning of the innauguration. They were definitely needed in the freezing cold temps as we stood outside for hours.
Location: The Hotel is located down the street from the Amtrak station making it super convenient to catch the train in and walk there. It was also a brief walk from Capitol Hill area where the innaugural ceremonies were to take place. Location couldnt have been better for the weekend.
Room: The room was clean. It had good lighting. The bathroom was large. Unfortunately the view sucked (looked out onto the side of an office building) but overall the accomodations were good.
Overall I would stay at the Hotel George again. I am a fan of the Kimpton brand and the George certainly lived up to the standard.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for your business Philly. Come back soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

This was our family's first stay at a Kimpton Hotel. We were on a family vacation. The staff that greeted us at the front was friendly and helped us check in our bags since our room was not yet ready. I must say that the front door staff is the best out of all the staff. They are always helpful in getting us a cab and always greeted us with a smile. The front desk staff was average. I expected more. There was a time when I asked if they had tea bags and in other hotels, I have never had an issue. First she could not locate it and then when I asked if there were herbal teas, she said "No" and did not offer any other suggestions. The second experience was also when I asked where we could purchase bottled water. She said, "No, we don't have a gift shop and the closest is CVS" and that was about .9 miles away. She could have offered for us to possibly purchase in the bar area? Just a suggestion for customer service. Otherwise, the stay was pleasant and the rooms are roomy and clean. The beds are comfortable and the beddings and towels were quality material.

Location--it is a couple of minutes from union station, which has eating establishments, some shopping and the Metro, 5 minute walk to the Capitol and the Mall with the Smithsonian museums and memorials are about 15 minute walk. It is in a safe neighborhood and we enjoyed night strolls to the Capitol.

It is more of an expensive hotel but that is due to location. It is not the type of hotel, however, that you can step out and find an active night life or fun boutiques and cafes. That would be more of Georgetown or downtown.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SanDiegoBum

General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you SanDiegoBum for recognizing our Bell team. They are truly outstanding and super helpful please come back and visit soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

When we arrived at the hotel (near midnight) we were told that there were no more rooms with two double beds (which I had specifically requested and made sure to mention that we were going to arrive very late at night). I was pretty upset, but we were given a room with a king and a pull-out couch. It was very cramped for two adults and two children, but the location can't be beat. I also noticed that the hotel was not as clean as I would like. The decor was great. We booked a room on a discount travel site, so I really can't complain. We didn't pay anything close to the full room rate.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you Wendysolganik for sharing your great experience. I hope to welcome you back soon and thank you for your business.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

If you are visiting DC and want hospitality and convenience do not pass up the chance to stay at the Hotel George, Kimpton Hotel, I have not stayed in a Kimpton in several years but it will not be that long next time. Being greeted by smiles from the curb to the front desk up to the room, it’s like staying at your best friend’s house. Even the part where your friend offers you a glass a wine in the afternoon makes you feel welcomed. The staff knew the area and even offered a selection of places to eat if you wanted to go off property. To see the sites you are only several blocks to see what DC has to offer, and is convenient for the hop on and hop off tour bus. Union station is a short flat walk even with rolling luggage, no car needed. Great stay, great rooms, great people!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple