“We were expecting more...” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #22 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
ccmoore
“We were expecting more...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband, 3 year old, and I recently spent an evening at another Kimpton Hotel in Washington, DC, The Madera. We were thrilled! The room was fabulous; it was spacious and almost felt like a luxury hotel. After that experience we decided to try Hotel George, also by Kimpton, for my 40th birthday weekend. While the room was clean and recently renovated, it was nothing like our room at the Madera. It was small and somewhat plain. When we checked in, the helpful lady at the desk said our room would give us a nice view. She didn't say it would be a 3rd floor view of E street!! The other complaint that we had was the the staff was not very helpful with suggestions about local places to eat - i.e. dinner on Saturday night or brunch on Sunday morning. I thought that would be standard at a downtown DC hotel. I will say that the staff was extremely nice, especially to my 3 year old son. Overall, we had a nice stay, but I wouldn't stay there again. One more note - they are a "dog friendly" hotel; however I think that this just means that dogs are allowed to stay there. Upon check in you have to sign a whole list of conditions/rules for your pet's stay, including agreeing that your dog will not sleep on the bed. I think I remember seeing pictures of dogs on the bed on Kimpton's website.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ccmoore
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at The Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us, CCMoore. We know our sister properties are amazing (Madera is for sure!) and are proud to be part of a family in which each property is unique. That said, what we can't do shouldn't have been what stood out. I'm sorry your 40th birthday was kind of a letdown. We'd like to make it up to you if you'd give us another chance!

Thanks again,
Kiah

P.S. The "Pet Pawlicy" is meant to be tongue-and-cheek, including the part where we ask for a paw print. I hope your pup enjoyed the room to its fullest!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Korean first
New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel! Check in was a breeze, checked my bag, parked my car and off I went. Had left instruction for a high, quiet room and they gave exactly what I requested. Very clean, updated rooms. Bathroom massive with walk in shower. Internet access was great! Thanks for making a business trip feel like home!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Clarke H
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at The Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
We're so glad you felt like you were home here with us, Turkbzerk! I hope that means we'll see you again soon.

Amityville, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Right down the street from the Capitol and near other DC landmarks, this is a nice enclave to park your stuff if you're in town for a DC visit. The premises are immaculate and everything is service
able. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Short but sweet! Thanks for the review, MikeMehary. We're looking forward to seeing you again.

fort lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

The George has outdone itself with their beautiful new guest rooms. This is my second stay and I so enjoyed the posh new rooms and even cozier beds. And as for the staff....top notch service once again. It was Valentines weekend and my husbands birthday and they made the stay awesome by having wonderful selection of amenities in the room at our check in. The management goes above and beyond to make their guest feel special. Thanks again for a great weekend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
You're welcome, Vetgirl69! We're delighted to have contributed to your Valentine's/Birthday success this year. Thanks for the photos along with such a stellar review. We're looking forward to impressing you even further next time!

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I had business in Washington DC this week, so took the train into Union Station. I looked for a hotel that was nearby both the train station as well as where I was working. The Hotel George was within a short walking distance to Union Train Station, but it was not overcrowded, busy or loud outside.

They had a room available, so I was able to check in early, drop off my bags, and get off to my meeting. Check in was easy. The front desk staff was pleasant. I had booked a Queen room, but I was able to get upgraded to a King room (just a $10 difference, but nice touch). Maybe that had something to do with joining their loyalty club. In addition, I received a $10 “raid the mini bar” coupon for joining their club, as well.

The hotel has recently been refurbished. The rooms are modern, and large enough for one or two people. There’s a desk, a bed and lounge chair. Closet is big enough (not huge), and the bathroom was great. It had both a tub and a large walk-in shower. The soap they use in their showers are in big bottles with pumps. (I guess that’s to eliminate all the tiny plastic bottles that fill our landfills. I like it.). It has a wonderful peppermint scent, that exhilarates and wakes you up!

The room comes with an iron and a hair dryer, AND it has a Keurig coffee maker. I need my coffee in the morning (especially when I work, I’m up early). This is a great feature, and I was happy to have a nice, hot cup of coffee after my morning shower.

There’s a mini bar (snacks as well as a big choice of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages), and you can either order room service, or visit their restaurant/bar downstairs. I got in late, so ordered just a cup of onion soup and a pot of tea from room service. It was perfect.

The bed, pillows and linens were clean, and comfy, and there are 2 “animal print” bathrobes to wear while you’re there. I picked leopard, but that’s just me…you might be more the zebra type.

All in all, this hotel met my expectations. I would definitely stay there again, and would recommend it to a friend or business associate.

Green Features: They have large soap/shampoo bottles in the showers so they don't have to throw away so many small shampoo/conditioner bottles. You can hang your towels, so they don't replace them everyday.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at The Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thanks for the great review, TheMoonfish! We're glad you were able to stay with us. Let us know if you'll be around again. We'll even scramble for that extra star if you give us the chance.

Cheers,
Kiah (I'm a zebra myself--it takes all kinds!)

Dunstable, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

On our first trip to DC we were looking for somewhere central to stay and decided on the Hotel George.

First impressions of the hotel were great and it is very stylish, clearly alot of though has been put into the design and guest comfort.

The room was very spacious, and it overlook an alley and offices.

It is a great location for Capitol Hill and everything is only a stones throw away.

Whilst is didn't bother us the hotel clearly was full of corporate guests on business and this gave a very cold feel at times. It is the type of place that I would want to stay if I was away on business.

The staff were very helpful and I really wanted to give this place 5*'s however I was not blown away and also the hotel was very noisy, It was not other guests and appeared to be coming from the air conditioning which was loud in itself.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at The Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for your honest review, KieHugh. We appreciate your sentiment and given our proximity to the Hill don't have much of a choice, but we'd love to welcome you back sometime when Congress is adjourned. We really do play as hard as we work!

Thanks again,

Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have stayed at Hotel George many times a year for more than 10 years because of the great location and extraordinary service but with the recent renovation to the guest rooms it's also a style setter. My work takes me to DC and staying here makes it a pleasure trip.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Elaine R
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at The Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
That last sentence, Elaine R! We're swooning. Of course compliments are nice but when you say something like that we know we've hit the mark. We look forward to seeing you for more of the same in the future!