“Amazing beautiful hotel, stellar staff, perfect location”

Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #20 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin
“Amazing beautiful hotel, stellar staff, perfect location”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is the second time I stayed at the George. I've stayed at Kimpton properties before and I have never had consistently good service, beautiful modern hotels like I have with the Kimpton brand. I cannot say enough good things. When I booked the George I noted that it was my mother's first time to visit DC. Blair at the front desk took it upon herself to make sure my mother had a wonderful visit by surprising her with a bottle of wine, a DC mug and DC souvenir pens. My mother was blown away! We had a very large room, plenty of space to work and even use the yoga mat for exercise. The George has a nightly HH, free bikes to check out, an attached restaurant and the best world class service! I wish my work would send me to DC more often just so I can relax at the George. The US Capitol is within walking distance, metro is a few blocks down, just a great place. They are dog friendly, I don't even like dogs- but you would never know if a dog was in your room because they keep it so clean! I also had a cancelled flight and I had to book the last room at the hotel and they still let me stay in my same room. Other hotels would have charged me higher rates and likely made me switch rooms! Love this place!

Room Tip: Any room at the George is great!! We had a corner room so extra space, but I've stayed in a sma...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
We love you too, Zogam! Thank you for such a shining review. If you'd like us to contact your work to let them know we need you to visit more, just let us know. We'll be waiting for you at wine hour.

Manager on Duty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Glendale, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Just got home from my stay at The George, and i was very pleased with every facet of the hotel. The moment I walked in, I was greeted by Clayton at the front desk, who allowed us to check in early and presented us with our complimentary bottle of wine and our $10 "Raid the mini-bar" card. The room itself was perfectly sized, very clean and modern, and had everything we needed, including a Keurig coffee-maker which was definitely a nice touch. Other reviewers seemed to have an issue with the "loud" HVAC unit, but I barely even noticed it. They also allowed me to check out late, which was great because my train home was delayed because of the snow.

The location is awesome. Not even a 5 minute walk from Union Station, and right down the block from the capitol building, It's very easy to get to and from the George from anywhere in the city

The excellent staff, location, and comfort makes the George a hotel I would definitely recommend to other, and stay at again myself.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian F
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
We'd love to host you again, Brian F! So glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and that we were able to accommodate your needs in the snow. Thank you for this terrific review.

See you soon,
Dulles, Virginia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This place is a fun balance between value and service. Highly recommended for a special occasion if you want to be near Washington Union Station or the US Capitol Building. The George Washington theme adds to the fun atmosphere. Great roomservice menu from the popular French Bistro Bis restaurant. We joined InTouch and got $10 towards the minibar plus free wifi :-). They even surprised us with a gift for our special occasion! Great spot for a romantic getaway in DC - short walk to the metro and close to everything. Only complaint would be a little noise coming from the hall (ice maker or people talking) - typical of any hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you're a light sleeper - away from hall noises and ice machine.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom H
Thank you, Tom H, for the excellent review! I like your complaint, too. I'm thinking we should tell people to shut up before they go upstairs... But seriously, we're glad you enjoyed yourselves and hope to see you soon.

Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Great hotel conveniently located to Union Station and the Capitol. Newly renovated, super clean, and friendly and helpful staff who go out of their way to make you feel welcome and help meet any special needs you may have. Nice extras are the bathrobes, the wine hour, in-room safe, ability to request foam or feather pillows, and the benefits of their loyalty program (free wireless and a $10 coupon to raid the minibar). Cute bistro onsite and a Corner Bakery next door (on the corner :-) for food options - and the huge food court in Union Station is an easy walk. Smaller hotel size makes it faster and easier to checkin, get an elevator, or checkout. Hope to return on future trips to DC.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TNbeachbum75
We hope you'll return too, TNbeachbum75! We really appreciate that you took the time to write this stellar review. Thanks for that. And we'll see you soon!

Cheers,

ccmoore
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband, 3 year old, and I recently spent an evening at another Kimpton Hotel in Washington, DC, The Madera. We were thrilled! The room was fabulous; it was spacious and almost felt like a luxury hotel. After that experience we decided to try Hotel George, also by Kimpton, for my 40th birthday weekend. While the room was clean and recently renovated, it was nothing like our room at the Madera. It was small and somewhat plain. When we checked in, the helpful lady at the desk said our room would give us a nice view. She didn't say it would be a 3rd floor view of E street!! The other complaint that we had was the the staff was not very helpful with suggestions about local places to eat - i.e. dinner on Saturday night or brunch on Sunday morning. I thought that would be standard at a downtown DC hotel. I will say that the staff was extremely nice, especially to my 3 year old son. Overall, we had a nice stay, but I wouldn't stay there again. One more note - they are a "dog friendly" hotel; however I think that this just means that dogs are allowed to stay there. Upon check in you have to sign a whole list of conditions/rules for your pet's stay, including agreeing that your dog will not sleep on the bed. I think I remember seeing pictures of dogs on the bed on Kimpton's website.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ccmoore
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us, CCMoore. We know our sister properties are amazing (Madera is for sure!) and are proud to be part of a family in which each property is unique. That said, what we can't do shouldn't have been what stood out. I'm sorry your 40th birthday was kind of a letdown. We'd like to make it up to you if you'd give us another chance!

Kiah

P.S. The "Pet Pawlicy" is meant to be tongue-and-cheek, including the part where we ask for a paw print. I hope your pup enjoyed the room to its fullest!
New York, United States
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel! Check in was a breeze, checked my bag, parked my car and off I went. Had left instruction for a high, quiet room and they gave exactly what I requested. Very clean, updated rooms. Bathroom massive with walk in shower. Internet access was great! Thanks for making a business trip feel like home!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Clarke H
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
We're so glad you felt like you were home here with us, Turkbzerk! I hope that means we'll see you again soon.

Amityville, New York
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Right down the street from the Capitol and near other DC landmarks, this is a nice enclave to park your stuff if you're in town for a DC visit. The premises are immaculate and everything is service
able. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Short but sweet! Thanks for the review, MikeMehary. We're looking forward to seeing you again.

Cheers,