“Love the decor!”

GreenLeadersGold level
KY
“Love the decor!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Someone had a great sense of humor when decorating this lovely hotel. The location was great for us, close to train station and walkable to many places. Did not use Bistro but menu looked great.
Rooms clean and all features. Loved the water pressure, I know it's the little things! Staff friendly and helpful.
Will be back.

• Stayed May 2014
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
CCallen! What a sweet little note you wrote about the little things! Thank you. We do hope to see you again.

Kiah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have stayed here numerous times over the years. The newly renovated rooms are nice. Still has the animal print robes, etc. in the closet so it hasn't lost the unique touches of a Kimpton hotel - including the wine tasting in the late afternoon. The hotel is consistent in service, has a great location and a great staff. The meeting rooms are OK but can be cramped if you have a large group. It's one of the top choices in this area of D.C. I prefer it over the Hyatt and Washington Court and it's neck and neck with the Liaison (the former Holiday Inn). It's a smaller hotel but that's what makes it nice. I'm sure I will back at The George again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert R
Thank you for your review, Robert! We're glad to hear that our size doesn't matter when it comes to service and style. We do appreciate that you return so often. Please let me know next time you plan on staying so I can say hello.

Thanks again,
kiah.conover@hotelgeorge.com
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I recently stayed (May 2 - May 4) at The George in Room 711. Check-in went smoothly but I was surprised there was no doorman (doorperson?) to take our bags. Our original reservation was for a Deluxe Queen room but we upgraded to an Executive Queen, which is larger.

The room was recently renovated and was nice; long but narrow. The end of one side of the bed almost touches the desk, leaving only a narrow gap to walk by. Plenty of room on the other side. A comfy couch. A large television is attached to a mount above the desk that swings out from the wall. You pull out the TV and rotate it 90 degrees so you can see it from the bed. If watching from the couch you leave it flat against the wall. If watching from bed don't forget to push the TV back against the wall or you might bump into it during the night...don't ask me how I know that. <g> No PPV movies on the TV, which was surprising.

The bathroom was nicely sized with the usual amenities. Soap, shampoo, and conditioner bottles are attached to the shower wall so there's no need to fumble with small bottles, which is a nice feature. There is no bathtub. The shower door had a missing or misapplied weather seal and when we showered the first morning the bathroom floor flooded. When we went out that morning I informed the front desk and they immediately sent a maintenance man up to make repairs. The next day was much better with very little water leaking through. There was also a small shelf in the shower that was very loose (caulk had dried up) and was about to fall off. I informed the front desk when we checked out.

We never ate at the hotel restaurant but it was full both evenings we were there.

The George is just a couple of blocks from Union Station which was very convenient since we used the Metro to get around. A Paneras is around the corner from the hotel. We left early one morning to walk a mile to a museum and the neighborhood around The George felt safe.

The one negative was on the second day when we came back from museum hopping and at 2:30 the room had not been made up. We were having friends come up to the room later that afternoon so I called the front desk, explained this and asked for Housekeeping to please make up the room ASAP. Thirty minutes passed and they still hadn't arrived. I called the front desk again and a little annoyed said I wanted the room made up Now. Housekeeping showed up a few minutes later...I shouldn't have needed to call twice.

In the afternoons the hotel has free wine in the lobby area. The front desk staff was always cheerful. When we checked out there was a doorman on duty and he helped us with our bags. I felt we received good value for our money and will stay at The George again on a future visit to Washington.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David S
Thank you for taking the time to review us, David S. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay despite it being utterly true that you should never have to call twice for service. Thanks for giving us the benefit of the doubt.

Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed 14 May 2014

How many places do you stay that you leave speechless? The George is one of those rare places. What an amazing property. Immaculate rooms, entering my room on the hardwood floor, that changes to a very modern carpet once you reach the main part of the room. The more than ample restroom with white Granite material. Let me just say this, you WILL NOT find a nicer hotel room anywhere, than The George. And you talk about a good quiet room, which is of upmost importance to me as I sleep during the day due to my work.

Now, lets get to the gem of The George, the staff! WOW. upon check-in and throughout the first day, the front desk associates were so accomodating and very kind. HUGE shout out to Kiah (the H is silent) lol. She helped me so much with some printing I needed to do. If you're going to DC, stay at The George! If you go to DC and don't stay at The George, I wouldn't tell anyone. You don't want anyone thinking you'd make such a mistake.

Real quick, the restaurant is amazing, and it's literally a few steps to Union Station, a few more steps to Capitol Hill and the National Mall. Gosh I love this place!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Front Office Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
D28martin05,

Thank you so much for the kind words about The George and our staff. I will make sure Kiah in particular is recognized. We are so lucky to have her on the team.

I think we are still blushing from your review. Thanks again.

Clayton
Clayton Smith
Front Office Manager
The George, a Kimpton Hotel
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at The George for a business conference that was held at the Department of Labor, just two blocks away. The location was fantastic. Only blocks from the Capitol building and the Mall, I went running every morning down the Mall to the Lincoln Memorial and back and one day went to the Jefferson Memorial. The weather was crisp and sunny. I stayed a day after the conference and went sightseeing and again was so close to everything. The staff was very attentive and remembered me each day to say hello and ask about conference and run. One day, after particularly long session and lots of walking in heals, I stopped by restaurant and asked for best dessert to be brought up and they chose the Apple Tart ala mode. Delicious and well worth the calories. Room was very comfortable and large for D.C. Mini bar well stocked. Each morning I was able to have Lara bar before run and many healthy and guilty pleasure snacks as well. Must join the Kimpton club. No fee and it gives you free wifi and a mini bar credit. I plan on staying there again soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you, Jackie P! We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and plan on returning soon! Please let us know when that might be so we can make sure your Lara bars are stocked. Perhaps some bananas, too?

Oldsmar, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Recently stayed at The George, great location, got a great deal through Travel Pony, great employees, everything was great. Our flight landed at 9am, at 1030am we called to see if there was a way to store our bags there since check in is not until 3pm, they informed us if we came by that we could get into our room right then at no extra charge. All of the employees were super friendly and helpful. Google Maps said the hotel was .24 miles from the Union Metro Station, I would venture to guess it was even closer than that. The only 1 downside, and surely it is a personal opinion, but the bar/restaurant was a very snooty and overpriced atmosphere. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kellie L
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Kellie L, we like your style! Thanks for highlighting our best traits. We do appreciate and love Bistro Bis, but it must be said that we feel the same way about The Dubliner Pub and Corner Bakery. Thank goodness there's a little something for everyone on this block! We hope to see you back sometime.

Thanks again,
Danville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stay here frequently when visiting our nephew in DC. Friendly staff, good location, double queen bed rooms and afternoon wine. My wife loves the bath products. The "The Kimpton" experience you expect from their well run properties, which we often seek out when traveling. We'll be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for the great review, rhbphoto! We just love a return guest--feels like success! Let me know when you book again so, along with other preparation toward perfection, I can make sure the bathroom is stocked with a few extras for your wife.

See you soon,