“Small, noisy and overpriced”

Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #21 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Denver, Colo.
“Small, noisy and overpriced”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I was traveling on business and usually stay at the Sheraton or Hyatt near the Hill. A friend recommended this place because of the restaurant and because it's 10 steps closer than the Hyatt.

Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere. The bed was ridiculously firm. The service was OK. The lobby was always busy and not very well laid out. The walls were very thin. Again, I was there on business, and on two occasions on my floor as I was heading out for dinner, it looked like some other folks were there for "business" as well.

The location is nice, I'll admit. But, I prefer something quieter and a little more established.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
The bulk of our guests are business people here, bksmrt, and are well established as known for such. It seems you also caught our staff on an "off" day, as we pride ourselves in offering the best service possible. Perhaps we're not for everyone! I hope the Sheraton or Hyatt continues to treat you with the style you prefer.

Kiah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We've had another fantastic stay at The George, one of our favorite DC hotels. The Kimpton hotel group has been our preferred hotel when traveling. The staff is always friendly, helpful, resourceful and simply a pleasure to do business with. The George is very convenient to Union Station, the rooms are beautiful and the restaurants, bars and atmosphere at all of the hotels we've stayed at extremely enjoyable.

This stay was especially made enjoyable thanks to Blair who went over the top in wishing me a belated happy birthday. She went above and beyond by having my favorite cupcakes in the room and a couple of other treats. I can't thank her enough for the effort which was in no way expected, nor deserved! But it reinforces why this chain of hotels is different and raises the bar perhaps to a level that is unfair to the competition. If you have the opportunity to visit and stay at The George you will not be dissatisfied and I hope you have the extra pleasure of interacting with Blair. Tell her Jim Mellen sent you, maybe you'll get a cupcake too!

3 Thank JMellen23188
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Mr. Mellen, you will be delighted, I'm sure, at the uproar your review has caused. Blair is thrilled, though humbly, and everyone else has gotten competitive! We're all delighted to have exceeded expectations, as that is simply our favorite thing to do. Thank you for letting the whole team know what a great time you had.

See you soon!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed here last minute for a business trip a few days ago. I really just needed a nice, safe, clean place to stay around the Hill. I managed to reserve at this very upscale swanky boutique hotel. The room on the site is exactly how it is. Very nice, small, comfortable bed.

I've stayed in many places, many varieties and many price levels. I guess, I expected a bit more from this hotel. A nice bathrobe, mouthwash would have been simple easy touches to add. My one big issue is bathrooms. I expect the price that I paid (over $400 a night) to have no hair on the wall of my shower and the repairs to the surface of the tub to not be cheap - but at least ceramic to match the tub surface finish. No a dull, yellowish fix for a scratch or whatever it was to cover up. Its the little things that drive me crazy, especially if you pay top dollar. The ac worked great, except the rattling noise of the vents as it turned on and off during the night. I noticed this room can up upwards to $1100 or so a night..I think I prefer the Ritz. Sorry, this boutique hotel is lacking compared to what you can get around town for the same price or less. I was disappointed. Glad it was only for a few hours of sleep before I left.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tkdmom
tkdmom, I'm sorry you didn't love your stay here at The George. We are generous with the amenities upon request of course, but that wasn't quite what you were looking for. Ironically, we are working on all of the bathroom touch-ups currently! It's too bad you got a room that hadn't gone through that yet. Perhaps when you need a good place to crash again we'll be up to it.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Beautiful hotel!... clean and spacious room... comfy queen size beds... lovely bathroom with stand up shower and full size tub... friendly and accomodating staff... taxi cabs always at curbside... wine in the evenings... a quiet spot to sit in the Gallery. Joined the free loyalty program for free wifi and complimentary $10 in the mini bar (the water bottles were a must). Went there for a long weekend with our 2 teenage sons. Location is awesome - one block to Union Station, couple of (longish) blocks to the Capitol. Close to the reflection pond. Enjoyed the Corner Bakery just doors away for breakfast and evening brownies! Plenty of food within walking distance (Union Station has restaurants and food court, found a couple of pubs within a few blocks and around the corner). Can't wait to head back to the George. A great place to get back to after long days in the city.

2 Thank 4_our_travels
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Front Office Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
4_our_travels,

Thank you for your glowing review! We're so glad you loved our renovated rooms and that the neighborhood worked for all your needs. When you are back in DC, we'd love to see you again.

Regards,
Clayton
Clayton Smith
Front Office Manager
The George, a Kimpton Hotel
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

It is clear upon entering The George that the staff is there to see to your every need. The rooms are spotless and comfortable with all the amenities one would expect. The lobby is inviting and drinks are served free of charge on weekend evenings. After a biking accident bandages, sterile lotions and caring were in abundance. Very easy accessibility to Union Station, excellent restaurants, and The Mall.

• Stayed June 2014
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thanks for the stellar review, Andrea! We're so glad you enjoyed yourself here, and we hope your spill on the bike didn't detract from your visit. Come see us again when you're all patched up!

Cheers,
Virginia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have to start the review by saying that perhaps all of the great reviews here rose my expectations a bit, so I was a little surprised when I arrived that the hotel is pretty simple and small. There was nothing extraordinary about it at first glance. The staff was friendly, but there was nothing that seemed a lot different than other hotels. The hallways on the room floors are a bit dark from the low ceilings, and such, but everything looked decently clean and in good condition. I do have to add they had early arrival ready for us, so that was great!

In entering our room, I was very happy to see the large open space around the corner that allowed plenty of space for our luggage and various items. I very much appreciated that. It had a large desk area which was also nice. The room was clean and the decor was nice. The beds and bathroom seemed very clean, which is a high priority for me.

The hotel is very small...there certainly isn't much wandering. But I think what makes the hotel nice is that it is simple, laid back, and a comfortable place to go back to after a long day in DC. It is in a great area in that you can get to Union Station quickly on foot, and are pretty close to the Capitol. If you are interested in going to the monuments and museums for a full day, I recommend taking the metro mainly because it will save some of the energy needed for a long day (that way you do all of your walking at the sights, not back and forth, as it is a decent walk to parts of the National Mall and monuments). But again, Union Station is right there, so that makes it easy.

We loved Bistro Bis for breakfast...super friendly staff there. Delicious breakfast and worth the cost for service alone. We had gone to the Corner Bakery a couple of times, and let's just say the service there was not very good on more than one occasion. So, for me the cost of the expensive restaurants in the area was worth it based on service and quality of food.

Union Plaza is nearby for those of us that like a place to wander to...fountains, benches, and a clear view of the Capitol.

My only issues were with a couple aspects of the room: I wish they had better duvet covers to cover the duvet. It would easily come loose, and expose the duvet inside. It would have felt cleaner and nicer if the duvet cover stayed on. The sheets were also a bit big so would touch all of the way to the floor once untucked, and the bottom sheet always felt wrinkly/not pulled tight.

The toiletries they provide are in pumps in the shower, which are eco friendly, but I kind of missed having single item products available to use, and would have also preferred something with less fragrance. We didn't end up using their products at all. Given this was a boutique hotel, I thought they might shine in that area.

Very lastly, if you want your room serviced while you are out for the day, you should let them know at the front desk as you are leaving. We had returned late day ready to relax, and someone had just gotten in our room so we had to wait a bit. We didn't really need the cleaning so regretted we didn't put the do not disturb sign up had we known that it would be serviced so late (even though we were gone all day).

All in all a comfortable stay with nice staff. I don't know that I would want to stay here when the rates are at their highest, but for the rate we paid I was very happy with our stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you, Herky5 for your review! Even though we tend to be super enthusiastic about everything ever, we do genuinely appreciate a measured breakdown of our strengths and weaknesses. Thank you for taking the time!

Cheers,
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed for only 1 night for a work meeting and will definitely be coming back. The room was great, unique arrangement to maximize space. I had a nice big bed, large workspace and a nice sitting area and large bathroom also. Lunch in the restaurant was great, I had a nice salad with roasted chicken and it was so good! The best part was the location. If you want to be close to lots of things to do or are only staying a day or so, this is a great location. 1.5 blocks from the hotel is Penn station. I took a tour bus from that point for a 3 hour tour of all the highlights around DC including the memorials, Arlington Cemetary, the Ford Theatre, etc. I made the most if my stay and would love to go back to this quiet, elegant hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank wellsdp
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Well, wellsdp, we're glad you enjoyed your stay here! Although it was brief, you really noted our highlights. We hope that means we'll see you again, perhaps for longer next time.