“Wow!! The hotel has been remodeled!!”

Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #20 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
South Carolina
“Wow!! The hotel has been remodeled!!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We just returned from a 3 night stay at The George. They have remodeled all rooms and they are very nice. We had a room with a king bed and pull out sofa. The bathroom had a shower and a separate tub. The room was excellent. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel. One block from Union Station. When we checked in late on Thursday June 26th, the lady at the front desk was very helpful. The only draw back for me is the hotel is pet friendly, however this was not an issue for us. The room also had a Keurig coffee maker. I will stay there again! Great location to the Capital.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thanks for the great review, etzv! I'm glad the pet friendly situation was a non-issue! We do try to keep our furry guests far from those who might sneeze about them. Next time you're around, just ask for the pet free floor.

See you then!
Kiah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently while in Washington and loved the experience. Rooms were modern and clean with great amenities. Close to Union Station which made the location very central. The have a wine tasting every day which allowed me as a solo traveller to meet fellow guests. Towels available when coming in out of the rain was a great touch and was well appreciated. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Connie C
We're so glad you enjoyed your time here, Connie C! We'll look forward to you coming back for a few more drinks during wine hour.

Cheers,
Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My wife and I travelled from Scotland to our first trip to Washington DC and were not disappointed from the start.
The George is in a great location and the rooms clean and comfortable. We were made most welcome and the staff were very friendly and courteous.
Even before we came across, Clayton Smith, front office manager, arranged a pick up for us from Dulles airport, saving us the stress of trying to figure out transport to DC and to The George.
Thank you Clayton.
Evening wine reception is a great way to relax and meet other guests.
Will be recommending The George to all our friends and family, and will certainly be back

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Cheers, Gordon! We're delighted you enjoyed yourselves here at our place. And we do hope you'll make good on that promise to return.

See you then,
Reviewed 3 July 2014

After travelling the East Coast of America, with my partner and Four year old son. I can honestly say, The George is the hotel we won't forget, it was a brilliant Hotel, perfect location and all the staff were friendly! I would highly recommend The George and would certainly love to visit again. The hotel is faultless, fantastic hotel in every way.

• Stayed June 2014
Well, HayleyMartin, we definitely did our job right with you and yours! So glad you enjoyed yourselves. So... perhaps a return visit is in order?

Thank you fpr the amazing review!
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was coming to the end of 10 days of business travel with a final stop in DC, where I typically stay at the Monaco. The day before my arrival, I noticed that I did not have a confirmation email from the Monaco and contacted the hotel. I learned that through some mishap my reservation request was lost. Fortunately, I know the team there and they got to work on finding me a room at one of their many sister hotels in the Kimpton chain that are located in DC. Unfortunately, they reported everything was sold out. My own internet searches showed not a room in DC proper was available. Then, for a moment, a room popped up online at The George. I grabbed it.

The George is also a Kimpton hotel. I love the Kimpton chain of boutique hotels because each location is a bit different and wonderful in a unique way, but certain elements of the Kimpton experience are always part of a stay. For example, wine hour, free wifi, "raid the mini bar" coupons, bikes you can borrow, great big fluffy robes, in-room spa amenities, and, most importantly, great customer service (by which I mean fairly frequent "above and beyond" gestures of true hospitality.

I called my friends at the Monaco to let them know of my good fortune in finding a room at The George in the nanosecond it appeared online. The GM at the Monaco said he would call the GM at The George to make sure I got my usual corporate rate, rather than the higher "every room in town is booked" rate, I had secured.

I arrived at The George late at night, exhausted and just thankful to have any room that night. As I was checking in, the front desk could not have been more helpful, asking about my trip and making sure I knew where to find things that I might need in and around The George. The bellman led me to my room, and as he opened the door, said, "I think you'll like this room." I was non-plussed to discover I had received a complimentary upgrade to the Presidential Suite. On the dining table, as I walked in, i found a beautiful flower arrangement with a warm note of welcome from GM Stephane Vogel and with a bottle of one of my preferred wines (I assume based on what they had learned from my friends at the Monaco, but maybe just more good luck). Now, that is amazing hospitality -- from no room, to this!

A bit about the Suite: You walk into a very large sitting room with dining, work and visiting areas. There is a nice variety of task and ambient lightning to fit your needs and mood. The bedroom seems equally large with King bed, reading area, and lots of space to unpack and store luggage. The marble and stone bathroom is very large with two sink areas, tub and separate shower (with a window), as well as a large alcove with sliding door for the toilet. Of course, there are very large flat screen TVs and phones everywhere.

It was late, but a call to the front desk confirmed room service was still serving dinner and also that the hotel restaurant Bistro Bis was still serving. While it was tempting to dine-in and enjoy the room, I decided that Bistro Bis (where I've dined before) might be better. I am glad I did. I got a seat at the bar, and Matt, the bartender that night, could not have been more helpful. He steered me toward the burger, which was incredible, and a great glass of wine, and provided some good company to a weary traveler.

The next morning I had an early meeting and the hostess at Bistro Bis made sure I got my healthy breakfast and out the door into a waiting taxi in record time. Every time I turned to anyone at the hotel for assistance, I got exactly what I needed, and often more than I asked for. Oddly, they encourage that kind of guest dependence! rather than the anonymous self-service that increasingly is a part of the business travel experience. The George is an extremely well run hotel (Kudos Stephane to you and your carefully selected and well-trained staff!). It also is very well situated, close to both Union Station and Capitol Hill.

Perhaps you'll get lucky and find you have a room there when there is "no room at the inn." Not saying you'll get as lucky as I did, but I think you'll enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Ask about the Presidential Suite (or any suite)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JeffZee
Well, JeffZee, thank you. We were going to comment about your proper usage of the word "nonplussed", but after reading the full review we are the ones nonplussed. Thank you for not only taking the time to review your stay, but to do so generously and kindly. We hope you may considered making The George your home in DC, at least part time.

Thanks again,
Oregon, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The decor is fun and unique, the wine happy hour is delicious (try the Sangria) and it is easy walking distance to the National Mall. They also have the friendliest and most helpful hotel staff I have encountered! Bistro Bis has wonderful food and unique and tasty cocktails. Guaranteed I will be staying here the next time I am in DC!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LJStar
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you, LJStar! We do hope you come back soon. In the summer we have sangria, and in the winter? Hot toddies! The staff and Bistro are pretty much always the same stellar experience year round. If it ain't broke, right?

Thanks again,
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is a very comfortable, conveniently located hotel, great for business travel. It's just a block from Union Station and close to Capital Hill and all the sights. They have free wifi and their gym is open 24/7. The staff is extremely accommodating and helpful, and the rooms are very comfortable. Wine and sangria every night from 5-6 in the lobby is a really nice touch.

Their car service is excellent. Gee Kassa, the lovely woman who handles it, it's an absolute pleasure. We had to make several trips across town and she was able to prearrange our pickups during the time we were there, then took us to the airport after our stay. The transportation can be added to your room bill, which is very convenient. I highly recommend using this service.

If I return to the city, I'll definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CritiquerCA
CritiquerCA, aren't you kind! Thanks for the great write-up. Gee in particular is very pleased. We're glad she was on hand to take such good care of you. We'll look forward to seeing you again soon!

Cheers,