Kimpton George Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Phoenix Park Hotel(Washington DC)
  • Restaurant
Washington Court Hotel(Washington DC)
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
Pod DC Hotel(Washington DC)
2,233 results
All reviewsbistro bisunion stationcapitol hillwine hourboutique hotelthe corner bakerymini baranimal print robesyoga matwine receptioncomplimentary wineattached restaurantcapital buildingsupreme courthomeless peoplenational mallfront desk staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 April 2009

We just got back from a five night stay. Our room was a king deluxe in the front of the hotel (away from the construction) and it was very quiet. It was clean. There are only eight floors. The bed was very comfortable. The lighting in the room and bathroom was excellent. Lots of windows for natural light and they open. Very good a/c and heating control. Lots of mirrors, even a full length mirror in the large closet. There is a 30" LG flat screen tv, free wi fi. Large desk with comfortable desk chair. The bath amenities were Aveda, not L'Occitane as advertised on the website. There is a tub and a separate stall shower. The staff was very helpful. It's two blocks from Union Station which has several choices for breakfast which we enjoyed and lots of stores - it's a mall too. We walked to the Capital, the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the Smithsonian Museums, the Newseum, the Spy Museum, etc. We got a fabulous rate because we signed up to be an "In Touch" Kimpton member - it's free. You get specials via email after you sign up. We took advantage of their birthday special (1981) which was $81/per night (instead of $229 which was originally $279) for Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. But when you get your final bill, look carefully - they didn't give us that special so I went right downstairs and they corrected it without a problem. WE WILL BE BACK AND WE RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kabear
Distribution_Mgr, Reservations Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2009

Hello Kabear.

Thank you for staying with us and leaving your comments. It is a great way for us to get feedback from our guests. I am glad the room was clean and quiet and that the bed was comfortable. I am glad that "the staff was very helpful." Our location is perfect for all the reasons you listed. Thank you for staying and I am glad that you will come back again!

Reviewed 3 April 2009

The location of the hotel is right on Capitol Hill, great for visiting all the sites, very close to Union Station for easy access to the metro. However, that's where the advantage of staying here stops. I can understand that in a prime area you have to pay more, but for what we got in return, this hotel definitely overcharges for what you get. We were clued in to the cleanliness of the room as we rode the elevator and walked the hallway to our room. The general impression was one of grubbiness. That may be okay in the public area, but you would expect a certain level of comfort and cleanliness in the room itself. Nope. Our shower had a used bar of soap with a hair on it--this definitely grossed us out and made us feel like the room was not cleaned very well. Towels were so hard that when you wiped your face, it actually scratched. We had to call down and wait for room slippers to be brought, and judging by the lack of cleanliness, we were not too crazy about walking on the carpet without slippers. The room size is pretty small, even by D.C. standards, and an odd configuration. You can hear a lot of room noise from next door and hallway noise. Room service was exhorbitant--$48.00 for a hamburger and salad anyone? Includes charges tacked on. I had no choice because it was late and I was hungry. Internet is available, for a fee--most boutique hotels I've stayed in offer free wireless. It seems that this hotel has gone downhill, from the previous reviews. We moved out as soon as we could and stayed at the Hyatt and got much better service, and a much cleaner room--for a third of the price!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2009

We take all comments provided to us very seriously and will take the appropriate action after we have done a thorough investigation of each comment provided to us. The Hotel George is known in D.C. for offering outstanding service and exceptionally clean accommodations.

General Manager, Hotel George

Reviewed 23 March 2009

We stayed at the George for part of our spring break trip. Picked the hotel based on location...close to Union Station, Capital, etc. Glad we did. We had our 8 yr. old daughter with us and while the hotel does not cater to children they were excellent when she became ill. Connected us up with Dr., pharmacy. Really saved our trip. Restaurant attached to hotel is French....not my thing but there are plenty of alternatives in walking distance. Great location, great staff. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2009

Hello Phelan86,

Thank you for your comments. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you stayed with us during your spring break trip. I am glad that the front desk jumped to the rescue and really “saved your trip.” I am sorry that your daughter was ill, that is never fun, I hope that she was able to enjoy her trip into Washington DC and see some of the sites. Thank you for recommending the hotel and please come back and visit again soon!

Reviewed 24 February 2009

We had both good and bad experiences with this hotel. Upon arrival, after an 8 hour train ride, we immediately got 2 bum steers from our check-in person which set me off on a sour note. First, although I had taken their promotional opportunity to upgrade to a parlor room if available for a nominal fee, the check-in person stated that he wouldn't recommend it to us. Turns out the parlor room is an extra room with a murphy bed, that has a small hallway between rooms, but there is another (3rd) door which encloses both rooms and locks for complete privacy. We have a pre-teen and a teenager, and traveling with them has become unwieldy in one room. So, thinking he knew best, I deferred to his recommendation to not take the parlor room, and he proceeds to book us into a room so small, that we literally had no floor space to put our suitcases when the sleep sofa opened. And we had 4 suitcases plus stuff. Plus, it was right on top of a MAJOR construction site which started promptly at 7:30am. It was very loud and woke me right up. What was he thinking? The hotel was not full, it being off season. After one night, I spoke to another concierge who promptly took me to look at the parlor room which turned out to be perfect for our needs, and we were able to move immediately. Importantly, she was wonderful about it. The other bum steer which was provided by the same, original, check-in person, was his recommendation for a restaurant. Again, we are coming off an 8 hour train ride, and we're tired and hungry. I asked for a very close restaurant and he sends us about 5 blocks away.... to a CLOSED restaurant (maybe he thought I said 'closed' : ) )! 5 blocks is easy on a sunny day when we are rested, but on a cold night when exhausted? I had specifically asked him if he was sure the restaurant was open, and he said yes. Which brings me to my last complaint, and why I didn't rate this hotel 4 stars. There are almost no restaurants close to this hotel. I would say we found a total of 4 restaurants within walking distance, and ended up eating at Union Station 3 times during our 6 night stay! That is like eating at your local shopping mall food court, to better explain. We ate breakfast at another rather benign place (also recommended by Hotel George) around the corner, and it was $85 for a family of 4 . The restaurant associated with the hotel itself looked very nice, but too upscale for a family in my opinion. We did end up doing a 'hamburger' room service from them one night, and it was an excellent burger and reasonable. The overall location of the hotel was good for the Capital, Union Station, and that side of the Mall, but for anything beyond the Washington Monument, the metro (at Union Station) was useful. The hotel overall, was clean and understated, nothing grand or interesting. If you are the kind of traveler who counts on good references from the staff, I would recommend either finding the 'right' person at the Hotel George, or staying somewhere else. I would say they cater much more to the business traveler, than the family traveler, and it showed. Truthfully, I don't get the hype.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank bostonpies
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Hotel George at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2009

My apologies your train ride was 8 hours long. My management team made every effort to resolve and go above and beyond the service needs that were requested. We do not Bum Steer our guests. We spoke directly with the guest and family to ensure all appropriate measures were taken to provide the excellent service and accommodations the George is known for. Hotel George General Manager

Reviewed 14 February 2009

Stayed at Hotel George a week ago. Our room on 7th floor was quiet, supremely comfortable! Absolutely loved the big bathroom shower and vanity and the big fluffy towels! The bed was wonderfully comfortable and made for a good night's sleep. The armchair and shawl were great to snuggle in with the daily paper. Quick walk to Union Station & Metro for easy access to sight seeing and shopping. The staff were all friendly, professional and helpful. The use of a yoga mat and TV channel were a great touch. The only thing missing that would have made my stay complete was coffee maker in the room. I WILL recommend Hotel George to others!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2009

Hello Helena436,

Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Washington DC. I am glad that you liked the room and the bed was comfortable. Thank you for recommending the Hotel George and we would love to see you again soon!