“Horrible service”

Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #19 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 July 2009

I have been trying to obtain a receipt for my faculty members stay for three weeks now. I have faxed, I have emailed, and I have called. I will never refer a booking here ever again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank jacksemily
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2009

We are investigating any delays in response to the allegations being made and will make every effort to resolve any and all guest issues. The service and the team at the Hotel George always go above and beyond to provide exceptional customer service.

General Manager, Hotel George

Write a ReviewReviews (2,225)

Reviewed 23 June 2009

I had a wonderful 2 night stay at this hotel. For starters, the location is ideal if you need to be in the Capitol Hill vicinity, especially if you travel by Amtrak as Union Station is about a block and a half away. The hotel decor is contemporary (including the rooms) but it gives off a comfy cozy feeling. Speaking of comfy cozy, the beds are extremely comfortable. The hotel's restaurant 'Bistro Bis' is charming and the food is delicious. My schedule didn't allow me to take advantage of any of the amenities offered, but the hotel offers quite a few (down to their own, personalized music CD for your listening pleasure.) The concierge/front desk was pleasant helpful and very accommodating. Lastly , and more importantly, the premises was very clean!!!

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank rcraig5
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2009

Hello rcraig5,

Thanks for the great feedback. I am glad you had a wonderful stay. The location is ideal and right next to Capitol Hill. I love the décor of the hotel also. The stone in the lobby actually has fossils in it. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!

Reviewed 22 June 2009

My stay at Hotel George was a wonderful surprise. I had read good things about about this property but with my preference to staying in other areas in Washington, I had not seriously considered it until I had a need to be close to Union Station and Amtrak.

This is not a location like Dupont Circle where you walk around among throngs of people on a warm, summer night. However, it does not appear unsafe, and Union Station is just steps away.

The hotel lobby is not large and grand, but is well-appointed, attractive, with eye-catching decor--like the grand piano and George Washington artsy dollar-bill paintings.

Check-in went smoothly and efficiently even though I had temporarily misplaced my drivers license (for i.d.).

Room 306 was spotlessly clean, quite large, with plenty of windows, and a bathroom with a large tub and a separate shower. The king bed was very comfortable. The windows are great for light, but my view was E Street and a typically boring office building.

The employees I encountered were friendly and attentive. I have noticed that Kimpton Hotel employees often seem to really like their work and view the hotel as "their guesthouse".

Now, Bistro Bis! What a surprise as well! I was very impressed with this restaurant. My Scallops Provencale was a fantastic dish. Apparently the same people who run this restaurant also have Vidalia--a better known, downtown Washington restaurant. If you stay at this hotel, please plan to have at least one meal here. Prices are in line with other DC restaurants of the same quality. (Families with children can hit the food courts at Union Station! *lol*)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Donald W

Hello donwest48,

I am glad that you had a great stay. Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor also. I am glad that you felt like the employees feel that work is more like a guesthouse. Indeed we want our guests to feel as though they are staying at a guesthouse and are welcome friends. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!

Reviewed 21 June 2009

This hotel is very well located and within easy walking distance of Union station with its various restaurants and cafes. The Capital. and several museums are also near by and the tour buses all leave from the station, so a perfect location for sightseeing stays. If you are sick of the same old faceless Hotel this place, although not outstanding, offers spacious clean rooms decorated with a twist as well as friendly front desk staff. The bar and restaurant were over priced as to be expected in Hotels but offered a pleasant place to relax and unwind for the price tag. We all enjoyed our stay.

Do not use the Hotel car Park, park right across the street for half the price!

• Stayed: May 2009

Hello likestotravel30,

I am glad that you stayed with us during your recent trip into the city. I see you found our location suitable. Thanks for noticing the difference in décor and that our staff do their best to make your stay comfortable. Please come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 21 June 2009

We visited this hotel for three nights in late October. If only we could have stayed longer! The hotel was almost flawless.
Rooms in the hotel are big, modern and clean, with lovely decor. Excellent amenities in the room, also (TV, minibar, safe, etc). The bathroom was also very clean and big, and the l'Occitaine products were much appreciated!
The hotel is a short walk from the Capitol, and a few steps away from Union Station, which is good if you're coming in from out of town by train. You can also take the Metro from here to attractions such as Arlington Cemetery, the Smithsonian Museums, or just Downtown. Not a metro fan? No problem - staff will happily go outside and flag down a cab for you!
The restaurant here, Bistro Bis, serves top-notch food in a warm atmosphere in the evening, and a delicious breakfast in the morning while you read the Post. The staff in the hotel were welcoming, kind and patient.
They provided helpful information about the city, and served us with a smile. There was construction work going on outside our room window, so the hotel left complimentary earplugs in the room on arrival!
All in all, my stay in the Hotel George was wonderful. I hope to return soon, and I will be recommending this hotel to anyone visiting DC in the future.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family

Hello paulg24,

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you felt the rooms were modern and clean and loved the décor. Our hotel is certainly interesting and boutique. We do have a great restaurant and also Union Station is right next door. Both great places to get a meal. Thank you for staying and come back again soon!

Reviewed 4 June 2009

Fabulous and stylish hotel, fantastic staff, and hotel houses Bistro Bis (French bistro/restaurant) which was SO good that we ate there 3 times in 3 days. I usually avoid hotel restaurants but this one was spectacular for each and every meal. After reading the newspaper reviews (going back many years) on the restaurant corridor walls, I learned that Bill Clinton frequented Bistro Bis, as well as many other celebrities. No wonder. Despite this attention, the restaurant and the hotel are not overly formal, especially for breakfast and lunch. (Fellow lunch goers were in nice shorts, for instance.) Hotel George is 5 min walk from Union (Rail and Metro) Station and the Capitol Building which made it extremely convenient for train travelers like us. We arrived at 10:30 am and they let us check into our room which was a huge plus for a couple traveling from Boston for a weekend getaway. I would go out of my way to stay in this hotel again, first for the food, and second for the plush, comfy room.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twareBoston
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2009

Hello twareBoston.

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you thought our hotel was fabulous and stylish and that you really liked the staff. I know they will be happy to hear that news! It seems you really liked the restaurant and ate there no less that 3 times in 3 days. The restaurant is great!

Reviewed 30 May 2009

I love Kimpton hotels for the uniqueness and high standards of quality. The Hotel George is a boutique hotel that not only feels trendy, but warm and wecoming. The rooms are stylish and comforting. The staff was professional and helpful in guiding us with our stay. Our room had a beautiful marble-lined bath as well as the Kimpton's standard, luxurious triple-sheeted beds. The attached restaurant, Bistro Bis was excellent, serving french inspired fare to guests and locals.
Hotel George is only about a block from Union Station and the Capitol dome reigns over your walk. With the many restaurants in Union Station, The Dubliner Irish Pub around the block, Bistro Bis as well as other restaurants within walking distance the convenience of the Metro seemed redundant. We did not want to leave!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FoodTramp

Hello FoodTramp,

Thank you for the kind words about Kimpton Hotels. We are happy to be part of it. I know the staff will be happy to hear that their professionalism and helpfulness was not missed on you. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!