“Nice, but not a 4 star”

GreenLeadersGold level
providence
“Nice, but not a 4 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

My experience here was unlike past stays at Kimpton Hotels. The room was just ok and very small. There were shades only in windows, no nice window treatments as other Kimptons feature. The products included soap, shampoo and conditioner, that is it. I had to request lotion, etc. (no biggie but 4 stars always offer all these niceties). This hotel does not offer the evening wine reception on Saturday and Sunday nights (one does not know this when reserving). This hotel’s features felt like a better 2 star, not a Kimpton. Given the above, the staff were fabulous and the restaurant is wonderful. In addition, this is one Kimpton that does not own the restaurant eliminating the Kimpton breakfast package one can add to their stay. No, I would not stay again nor would I recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank paulasw
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2010
General Manager: Our rooms are above average in size and purposely do not have window treatments to allow the natural light to enter our guest rooms when the shades are not drawn. We do include lotion in all of our guest rooms. Additional lotion and other amenities can certainly be requested and we will provide them when requested by our guests. Our service and reputation is every bit a Kimpton Hotel and my staff will always go above and beyond to ensure the very best experience for our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Korean first
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2010

I was able to stay here in January when the rates were lower. Hotel George is a mid-size hotel. I stayed in a mid-size room with a marble restroom. The bed was very comfortable and I especially enjoyed the wool throw blanket that I used while sitting in the easy chair. The staff members were helpful and welcoming, especially when my flight was canceled. I did eat breakfast at the attached restaurant and the service was surprisingly quick and the food good. The location is about two blocks from Union Station Metro.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank kokicmp
South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

The hotel is located close to all the monuments and museums. The room was very clean and comfortable. We couldn't have had better service from the staff as well. Also, the complimentary hot chocolate and wine tastings were a plus. When I go back to D.C., I will be staying here.

Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2009

This hotel is very close to the Union Station, where it has a lot of restaurants and the train station. This is an advantage.
The weakness in my opinion is that some people of staff is no so friendly.

The restaurant is so expensive.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

The week before Christmas was not crowded in D.C., and we were able to upgrade to a lovely 2-room, 2-bath suite for a nominal charge ($230 total). Most helpful at check-in was Michael at the front desk, and he continued to take good care of us throughout our stay. With the fine-dining restaurant Bistro Bis (and cozy bar) downstairs, and excellent location two blocks from Union Station, what is not to love? All Kimpton properties are well-run, and this one is at the top of our list. We are members of the Kimpton InTouch program, and have had only very good experiences with this small chain of boutique hotels.

1 Thank DocGonzo333
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2009

The location could not have been more perfect, two blocks away from Union Station and the metro, Capitol Hill and the Mall. We arrived around 11:30am and the staff were kind enough to let us check in four hours early. The maid service was impeccable. The bed was so comfortable it was hard to get up and leave. The shower had good water pressure and while the bath tub was a little shallow, it was nice to have a separate shower and bath available. The front desk staff were polite and helpful with requests for directions and inexpensive food options nearby. While our schedule didn't allow us to visit Bistro Bis, other friends have raved about the food and ambience. A big plus was that the wi-fi was free, after registering with Kimpton hotels online (a rarity at boutique and high end hotels).

Given the chance, we would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ripeaspeaches
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2009
Hello ripeaspeaches,

Thank you for staying. I am glad that you liked our convenient location to Union Station and the Capitol. I am glad that the staff made such a good impression. I know that everyone goes out of their way to do a good job. I know they will be pleased to hear about your stay. Thanks again and come back again soon!
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2009

I found this hotel on-line when looking for a good deal on a room.

The hotel was a little hard to find on getting there. Staff at the hotel is extremely friendly and go out of their way to help out. I arrived earlier than check in time, the reception staff was very helpful and gave me an early check-in. Rooms were fresh, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was spacious too.

This hotel was my home away from home. I will be visiting this hotel again next year!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelbuff91
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2009
Hello Travelbuff91,

Thank you for your comments. I apologize it was a little difficult to find the hotel but I am happy that once you arrived the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I am glad that you felt this hotel was a home away from home. Thank you for coming and we’ll see you again next year!