“Quirky and fun but could be better”

The Mansion on O Street
Ranked #115 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I accompanied my wife to DC on a business trip and she decided to stay at the Mansion on O St. A very nice young man let us in the basement door and led us to a room filled with all sorts of stuff; a player piano, board games, books, furniture, a stack of scratched 42rpm records, etc. all for sale. We sat down and waited listening to Jimi Hendrix. And waited. And waited. Finally I wandered upstairs and found someone who was very apologetic and who showed us around the hotel and allowed us to pick out a room we liked which was a very nice touch! We settled on the Fireplace Suite which had a bedroom a small kitchenette and a rather large lounge area, all packed with the places trademark knickknacks plus hundreds of books. I must not forget to mention that we also got a free drink at the bar yay!

All in all we had a very nice time and Hillary is worth her weight in gold. Anytime we needed anything she was right on top of it and she really helped make our stay a very nice one. Now for the cons: Their site promises a FULL English Breakfast Mon-Fri. Maybe they were serving it behind one of the many hidden doors but I never saw it. In fact when we arrived at the 4th floor dining room at 7 am there was no coffee, milk or juice. Coffee we could manage on our own but we had to call down for milk etc. A sleepy woman appeared with everything soon enough and commented "You're up early!" Err, yes, work and stuff. Plenty of cereal but it seemed to have been there for ages and the ones I took were never replaced.

Our awesome suite was behind one of the famous secret doors and had no lock. To secure it from the outside you were supposed to put a giant bolt through the door and frame and trust in the "This room is occupied stay out" signs. I couldn't help but imagine everytime we were out however strangers rummaging through our stuff and wondering "how much is this?". There is a bolt on the inside but once I forgot to engage it and some woman came bursting through the door. I was in the middle of some nude gymnastics at the time so I don't know who was more suprised! I am kidding of course, but it was strange to find some stranger in my hotel room. "Oh, Hello!" Proper room locks with keys on all doors sounds reasonable.

On Sat-Mon they have tours so be prepared for people tramping up and down the stairs and possible trying to open your door at these times. On Monday they had a big party so there many drunk people up and down the stairs giggling and trying our door. The hallways are narrow with lots of pig pictures hung low. Navigating with a large suit case in very challenging. I mentioned our kitchnette with a four burner stove but did I mention no pots or pans? Great pool table on 4th floor but so covered with stuff for sale never got to play on it. Our room was so cluttered with stuff it was impossible for any one person to clean so very dusty and the microwave in the room was dirty.

So to some up' a great place for those who are in DC to have fun etc and who don't want a vanilla Marriott room. Business travelers, I would look elsewhere because as vanilla as the Marriott maybe they are going to have all the mod cons you are counting on to make your business trip go smoothly.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Mike M

Reviewed 27 November 2011

OMG. This is the best place, on the planet! The magic. The creativity. The sense of hope around each corner. I was in D.C. on business. Used to live in D.C., but never heard of The Mansion. I am so glad my company put me up there. I want to tell everyone to stay there. To have their meetings there. To bring their friends and family there. And especially to come for the holidays. While I was there, they began decorating for Christmas. Wow. So, so magical and magnificent.

Room Tip: Everyone room is the perfect room. I got a tour of the rooms unoccupied when I arrived and it It wa...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Beth W
Reviewed 20 November 2011

A very cool place, but definitely not for everyone. When I'm staying there, I feel more like I'm staying with family. Very relaxed, always interesting.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank Atlantis104
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We've stayed there a few times: rather fascinating place! Some serious history, a great neighborhood, and all the conveniences of a highline inn or B&B. Breakfast spreads were very good. "P" Street a block away full of good eateries.
A collection of attached houses (with a newer addition in between historic homes), the Mansion has a range of different rooms and fascinating stuff throughout. Not cheap (but with some bargains), an interesting "different" site for camping out far from cookie-cutter hotels. The staff are professional, helpful, and unobtrusive. Extended stays would be a real treat. Parking can usually be arranged, but you need to tell the staff before check-in. Worth a visit for special food events! Excellent business facilities for road-warriors.

Room Tip: Some rooms in "new additions" are more modern; some upper rooms give a view of a nice DC r...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Phillylad
Reviewed 25 September 2011

i really don't understand how there can be so many positive reviews...hence my title.

I only took a tour, and did not stay there, but I think my experience will be helpful for people looking for a hotel as well--hence my review. As a DC resident, I had actually never heard of this place before getting a deal on a "tour." By tour, I mean, I was allowed to walk around the place. I guess it was interesting to see, but I found it to be kind of nightmareish. It's very quirky. There are secret doors (though I found only one), everything is for sale, and the rooms are all themed. It will definitely provide a unique experience, if that's what you're after, but I can say with utmost confidence that you couldn't pay ME to stay there. From what I understand, some of the rooms are upwards of $500 per night. I find this ludicrous. To qualify my review, too, I will say I'm not a fan of B&Bs in general, but this was in the extreme.

Imagine, if you will, a packed to the gills antique store. Then, imagine this antique store is one of those antique meets junk stores that will sell anything from old Garfield mugs and random plastic toys to armoires. Then imagine the stuff for sale is all overpriced. Then imagine sleeping amongst this. There was a bit of a musty smell--as you'll have with old stuff piled from floor to ceiling--and I think some people were smoking too because there was a heavy cigarette smell in some places.

The bathrooms were mostly huge and clean and the beds looked comfortable. Most of the fixtures look like they could use updating--they're all circa 80s, I'm guessing--but at least they were clean. Other positives are the location--you don't get much better than Dupont Circle.

You might want to take a tour as a quirky activity, though I wouldn't probably again.

The overstimulation from all the stuff everywhere was a bit much, and at one point, I felt a bit sick. I'm trying not to be overdramatic, but I think you need to know what you're in for. I applaud the uniqueness, but it's not for everyone. Like me.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
13  Thank PlangalDC
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This was my very first stop while visiting Washington DC! I had the most wonderful afternoon exploring every nook and cranny of this unbelievable house/museum. I was greeted warmly and whisked through a series of mazes that enabled me to forget about the outside world and "check out" from the craziness of life in exchange for the craziness of this house. What a fun experience! I was encouraged several times to sit down, relax, kick my shoes off and read a book (which there were thousands of scattered all throughout the house!)

I signed up for a scavenger hunt, but honestly I was busier "scavenging" through all the items, shopping, to really pay that much attention to what was on my sheet. Lol. After finding my way through several secret passageways, I would forget what floor I was even on! I made several trips down to the first floor where my pile of items to be purchased was being amassed on a couch. When they say everything is for sell, they mean EVERYTHING! I opened closets, armoires, trunks, desks, etc and "H" politely sold me anything I wanted (sometimes asking me where in the world I had found it!)

All in all I ended up buying several old, obscure, and delightful books, a family board game from the 70's, CDs I hadn't seen in decades, several pieces of china, a lazy Susan, a beautiful handcarved sandstone nightlight, and several other items I couldn't live without. The only thing that makes me happier than finding great treasures is knowing that all the proceeds go back to charity.

I spent 6 hours exploring all that the mansion on the o had to offer for a mere $20 donation. That was the best $20 I spent my entire time in DC. I will definitely be coming back very soon, and bringing my friends with me! Thank you "H"

Becky Hill.
Louisville, Ky

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank beckylynnhill
Reviewed 30 May 2011

All the previous reviews talk about the decoration (amazing), artwork (incredible), mess (well, we disagree there...eye of the beholder and such), so we will not harp on any of those.

We stayed in the Newport Suite, with three bedrooms and one bath. We all loved the entry, which was behind a hidden door. Each room was decorated in a unique style, having a gallery of art. All had (tube) tv's, very comfortable (king, craftmatic-style king or twin) bed, dressers and closets. The bathroom was richly decorated, with a bidet and shower/tub contraption from the Jetsons ... Amazing body spray, overhead rain options. There did not seem to be a safe in any of them, nor, surprisingly, a phone. Since we all have cell phones "nowadays", the phone situation was not terribly inconvenient. We did not inquire about a hotel safe, since we had nothing valuable with us.

Ted was the consummate host, taking the time to bring us on an amazing tour of the Mansion. We did not encounter many other staff during our stay, but the one time we needed assistance in our room, Ted answered the phone quickly and came right down (up, across?) to help.

We had brunch, which was VERY varied and mostly excellent as any and better than most in DC. Service was efficient and polite, if not necessarily attentive. When we DID request a refill or cream, they were brought quickly and cheerfully. Brunch reviewed elsewhere, so not dedicating much space to that.

Being Memorial Day weekend, there seemed to be only one or two other groups of guests. I will be interested to find out how the Mansion handles a full house. And we will be back to find out.

Room Tip: If possible, see them all before deciding
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family