All reviews scavenger hunt john lennon secret door secret passages champagne tour rosa parks log cabin room music memorabilia unique rooms museum beatles neighborhoods metro
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Charming rooms in the heart of dc. Easy walk to the white house and Georgetown. Unforgettable experience of the best kind!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank WillP
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I accompanied my wife to DC on a business trip and she decided to stay at the Mansion on O St. A very nice young man let us in the basement door and led us to a room filled with all sorts of stuff; a player piano, board games, books, furniture, a stack of scratched 42rpm records, etc. all for sale. We sat down and waited listening to Jimi Hendrix. And waited. And waited. Finally I wandered upstairs and found someone who was very apologetic and who showed us around the hotel and allowed us to pick out a room we liked which was a very nice touch! We settled on the Fireplace Suite which had a bedroom a small kitchenette and a rather large lounge area, all packed with the places trademark knickknacks plus hundreds of books. I must not forget to mention that we also got a free drink at the bar yay!

All in all we had a very nice time and Hillary is worth her weight in gold. Anytime we needed anything she was right on top of it and she really helped make our stay a very nice one. Now for the cons: Their site promises a FULL English Breakfast Mon-Fri. Maybe they were serving it behind one of the many hidden doors but I never saw it. In fact when we arrived at the 4th floor dining room at 7 am there was no coffee, milk or juice. Coffee we could manage on our own but we had to call down for milk etc. A sleepy woman appeared with everything soon enough and commented "You're up early!" Err, yes, work and stuff. Plenty of cereal but it seemed to have been there for ages and the ones I took were never replaced.

Our awesome suite was behind one of the famous secret doors and had no lock. To secure it from the outside you were supposed to put a giant bolt through the door and frame and trust in the "This room is occupied stay out" signs. I couldn't help but imagine everytime we were out however strangers rummaging through our stuff and wondering "how much is this?". There is a bolt on the inside but once I forgot to engage it and some woman came bursting through the door. I was in the middle of some nude gymnastics at the time so I don't know who was more suprised! I am kidding of course, but it was strange to find some stranger in my hotel room. "Oh, Hello!" Proper room locks with keys on all doors sounds reasonable.

On Sat-Mon they have tours so be prepared for people tramping up and down the stairs and possible trying to open your door at these times. On Monday they had a big party so there many drunk people up and down the stairs giggling and trying our door. The hallways are narrow with lots of pig pictures hung low. Navigating with a large suit case in very challenging. I mentioned our kitchnette with a four burner stove but did I mention no pots or pans? Great pool table on 4th floor but so covered with stuff for sale never got to play on it. Our room was so cluttered with stuff it was impossible for any one person to clean so very dusty and the microwave in the room was dirty.

So to some up' a great place for those who are in DC to have fun etc and who don't want a vanilla Marriott room. Business travelers, I would look elsewhere because as vanilla as the Marriott maybe they are going to have all the mod cons you are counting on to make your business trip go smoothly.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Mike M
Reviewed 27 November 2011

OMG. This is the best place, on the planet! The magic. The creativity. The sense of hope around each corner. I was in D.C. on business. Used to live in D.C., but never heard of The Mansion. I am so glad my company put me up there. I want to tell everyone to stay there. To have their meetings there. To bring their friends and family there. And especially to come for the holidays. While I was there, they began decorating for Christmas. Wow. So, so magical and magnificent.

Room Tip: Everyone room is the perfect room. I got a tour of the rooms unoccupied when I arrived and it It was hard to chose what room I wanted -- they were all so unbelievable. They even upgraded my room, without an additional charge! And they gave me a free beverage of my choice when I checked in. I had a glass an apple martini. Best I've ever had!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Beth W
Reviewed 20 November 2011

A very cool place, but definitely not for everyone. When I'm staying there, I feel more like I'm staying with family. Very relaxed, always interesting.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank Atlantis104
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We've stayed there a few times: rather fascinating place! Some serious history, a great neighborhood, and all the conveniences of a highline inn or B&B. Breakfast spreads were very good. "P" Street a block away full of good eateries.
A collection of attached houses (with a newer addition in between historic homes), the Mansion has a range of different rooms and fascinating stuff throughout. Not cheap (but with some bargains), an interesting "different" site for camping out far from cookie-cutter hotels. The staff are professional, helpful, and unobtrusive. Extended stays would be a real treat. Parking can usually be arranged, but you need to tell the staff before check-in. Worth a visit for special food events! Excellent business facilities for road-warriors.

Room Tip: Some rooms in "new additions" are more modern; some upper rooms give a view of a nice DC residential area. A few rooms are maybe overstuffed for some tastes.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business