“Courtney has Cookies” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 37 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Courtney has Cookies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

If you are looking for a comfortable place to stay, Woodley Park Guest House has a good location, comfortable beds, clean bathrooms and good access to the Mariott and the Omni Shoreham. So what makes this place special? Well everyone sits down to breakfast together at one long table. The breakfast conversations were the highlight of my day! The International Actuarial Association was having a meeting so we had actuaries from South Africa, Denmark, Estonia and Jamaica at the table. Everyone swopped stories from plays to see to the orchid show at the Botanical Gardens. Each day you had different people at the table. One day we had a travel agent who was in town to get visas for her group going to the Middle East - very exciting visa story! Courtney even joked one day that we had a keynote speech at breakfast on health care. The breakfast conversation is stimulating and you can just listen if you want which is just as enjoyable as taking part.
The gourmet cookies were another favorite with the guests. It got competitive as guests would compete for their favorite cookies. For the best selection come between 2pm to 3pm but there are always a couple left at 4pm. I recommend the chewy brownies, the chocolate chip and the cranberry oatmeal. There was also one that looked like two waffles stuck together with jam which was so good, I had two! I recommend getting your cookie and a cup of tea and sitting on the verandah perusing the New York Times as a mid afternoon activity before dinner.
If you want company in the afternoon, Noelle has a degree in International Business, she can tell you about her travels to Botswana and Ethiopia or she can share her fish taco recipes with you or where she likes to eat in DC. Kelly is also very friendly.
To walk off the cookies, walk up the escalator at Woodley Park metro, it is about 70 steps up a moving escalator and carry water to drink at the top. Get a 7 day pass for $45 unlimited travel even to the airport. National is a 30 minute trip with one transfer and you can do the trip with a suitcase.
We must thank Courtney and Joe for making all this possible but for me the highlight were the cookies!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank marjie905

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I went to DC for a conference with my coworker. We had a limited budget for attending the conference and Woodley was an excellent choice. Our rooms were great! They came with everything we could need and more! The staff was beyond excellent. My bags got lost at the airport and I wasnt able to stay and wait for them. Kelly was about to not only get my bag but also sent me a text message to let me know that it had arrived! Kelly was also super helpful in letting us know where the good places to eat were as well as how far places were to see if we could walk or if we should get a cab. I will no doubt be back to woodley. I highly recommend a stay!!!

1 Thank libbsho
Cornwall on Hudson, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I went to DC for a conference at the Marriott Wardman, which is across the street. When I saw the reviews for this guest house on TripAdvisor, I cancelled the Marriott and reserved a room here. The great reviews on TripAdvisor are absolutely true. The feeling here is warmth, friendliness and professionalism. The staff go out of their way to accommodate any requests. The general feeling is that everyone wants me to be happy and comfortable. The other guests were also great. It was like staying with family. It is obvious that the owners, Courtney and Joe, love running this guest house, and I will definitely stay with them again on my next visit to DC.

4 Thank Shari C
Fall City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Third time staying here, and will continue to stay when in DC on business. Very short Metro ride to downtown, plus just two blocks from the Smithsonian zoo. Courtney, the owner, makes you feel like an old friend. Bed was fabulous, room was perfect and the area is very quiet at night. Wouldn't think of staying at the Marriott when for less money and higher quality you can stay at Woodley Park across the street.

2 Thank RagingRiver
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here this past week while presenting at a conference. Wonderful and kind staff! Comfy beds. The rooms were beautiful and functional. The folks at Woodley Park were helpful, cheerful and made my stay incredibly comfortable!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Sarah B
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I don't stay at bed and breakfasts, but I was intrigued by the excellent reviews and comments. Also, I really didn't want to stay at the big Marriott, where my conference was being held. The previous reviewers have done a good job describing this place. The location is excellent - steps from the Metro and near many restaurants. The owner Courtney does a wonderful job welcoming you and introducing you to the other guests. The staff is welcoming and friendly. Breakfast is perfect. I stayed in a room with a shared bath. It was the only room left but it turned out just fine. I highly recommend this place.

Stayed February 2014
3 Thank buffalo55
DCInnkeepers, Owner at Woodley Park Guest House, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Hi R. T., aka Buffalo 55,
Thanks so much for choosing to stay in our bed and breakfast in Washington DC. We loved having the opportunity to get to know you. Before booking with us you had a couple of concerns. You had never stayed in a bed and breakfast and a shared bathroom was a totally unfamiliar concept. We appreciate the fact that you made your reservation despite these concerns. We were delighted to read in your TA review that you really enjoyed your first Bed and Breakfast experience and that the shared bath was a non-issue. Thank you for sharing your insights. We hope your comments prompt other guests to be as adventurous as you are. Thanks also for being such an engaging and interesting breakfast guest. We’d love to welcome you back in the future and we hope you had a delightful visit with your daughter on your way home.
Courtney Lodico
Owner
Long Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I was attending a conference across the street at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel and came across this B & B when I was researching where to stay. I am so happy that I stayed here and not at the Marriott. First of all, the owners as well as the staff are very friendly and go out of their way to may your stay as comfortable as possible. There is no TV in the room however after being at a conference all day, a little peace and quiet is great. I called the morning that I was arriving to find out if there was a place near by that I could get some lactose free milk and if there was a fridge to store it. The young lady that I spoke to over the phone said that they have lactose free milk available for breakfast. I thought that this was amazing because I have never found lactose free milk in any hotel that offers a breakfast. I found out the next day when I commented about how nice it is that they offer lactose free milk, that the young lady had called the owner after my phone call to alert her to bring lactose free milk in the morning. Everyday, they had a pitcher of lactose free milk waiting for me. Breakfast at the Inn was the perfect way to start off the morning. Courtney, the owner was there bright and early and greeted each guest as they came for breakfast. She then went out of her way to make sure that every guest was introduced to each other and that everyone had what they wanted for breakfast. The choices for breakfast was great: assorted teas, coffee, a variety of cold and hot cereals, assorted pastries, fresh fruit salad, yogurt, cottage cheese with assorted toppings, choice of breads, assorted spreads and fresh lox and capers. Tea and coffee was available all the time. With regard to the room, the bed was very comfortable. If I had to attend another conference at the Marriott, or if I was in the area for a vacation, I would stay here again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: There is one room across from the kitchen area where you can get tea and coffee when breakfast is do...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Loraine A
Hi Lorraine,
Thanks you for your lovely review. We thoroughly enjoyed having you as our guest and it was our pleasure to get to know you. Your comments about the lactose free milk are much appreciated. We strive to make every guest as comfortable as possible, which includes offering lactose and gluten free options for breakfast. We love hosting breakfast and we have carefully chosen fresh, healthy and organic local foods to fuel your day. We’re convinced that the combination of delicious food, interesting guests and great conversation is just about the perfect way to get you started on your daily agenda. Your comments about our no TV policy are also appreciated. We are firm believers in the value of a good night’s sleep, and we maintain the peace and quiet of the house so that you can enjoy that vital amenity.
Courtney Lodico