“A Place you will come back to”

Woodley Park Guest House
Ranked #3 of 36 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Batavia, Illinois
“A Place you will come back to”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

The Woodley Guest House is one of the most relaxing and pleasant places I have ever stayed at. It provides a quiet and unobtrusive environment with a warm and compassionate staff. The rooms offer a range of cost options to fit lots of pocket books. The staff is more then happy to help in whatever your needs are from simple advise to help with finding or getting items of need. Conversation with both guests and staff is great, so good it is hard to stop when it is the time to go. The continental breakfast is very well maintained and provides a great chance to meet other guest or the staff. I have stayed here three times over the past several years and look forward to coming back the next opportunity I get.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

The Woodley Guest House is an excellent place to stay. It's a very quiet, pleasant and refreshing place. Great hospitality on arrival from Kelly. The breakfast served was very comforting and power packed. We received helpful tips from Noel. Guest were friendly too. We will recommend this place to family and friends when they visit DC. Great places to eat on Connecticut Avenue; which is only steps away.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank motheranddaughter1
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Woodley Park is well situated for exploring Washington. A subway station is located a 1 minute walk at the end of the block. Make sure you use the elevator as the very long and steep escalator will take you a block away. The rooms are exceptionally clean and comfortable. A lovely continental breakfast is provided and it is also a lovely opportunity to meet other travellers. The hostess is charming and most of her staff are absolutely delightful. I found one staff member put us on edge at the beginning of our stay by not only showing me where the milk was kept but instructing me, with a demonstration, as to exactly how I was to return it to the fridge, because 'that is the way we do it here'. The house is very quiet at night with no noise from the street or the other bedrooms. On the down side there is no shared space other than the dining room and with one chair in our room, where we had placed one of our suitcases, we had to sit on the bed during the evening. There is a good range of restaurants and activities within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Breakfast is at a large dining table where everyone gets to meet each other. Conversation is scintillating as we move across topics and as guests change. We give opinions on restaurants, leadership, maintain that current expenditure on health care is a lot and could do more in a practical sense, taxation levels in different countries and comparison of benefits, seeing the sights in Washington, what to do with a book collection, what's happening at conferences across the road at the Marriott Wardman, the impact of the Chinese migration to Jamaica and so on.......The house is comfortable and homely. I would only ask for some cold cuts for variety as the smoked salmon is THE best. We enjoyed Courtney as host, I acquired another sister, Noel and thanks to Ingrid and Kelly who looked after us too

Room Tip: every room seems different as this is a converted house.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank actuary88
Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

What an amazing place! I stayed here when I went to visit my son (he is a student at American University). What a friendly, warm staff. The amazing & friendly women (especially Noel) who staffed the front desk were so helpful & gave us great advice for dining options.

It is so refreshing that the owners, Courtney & Joe, are so personally involved in the day to day operations of their property. The location is just steps from the Metro (Red Line). I was a little nervous, because I booked late & had to share a shower. Never a problem, as I think only two rooms don't have their own shower. Immaculate & clean. I highly recommend the Woodley Park Guest House!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Deborah H
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

If you are looking for a comfortable place to stay, Woodley Park Guest House has a good location, comfortable beds, clean bathrooms and good access to the Mariott and the Omni Shoreham. So what makes this place special? Well everyone sits down to breakfast together at one long table. The breakfast conversations were the highlight of my day! The International Actuarial Association was having a meeting so we had actuaries from South Africa, Denmark, Estonia and Jamaica at the table. Everyone swopped stories from plays to see to the orchid show at the Botanical Gardens. Each day you had different people at the table. One day we had a travel agent who was in town to get visas for her group going to the Middle East - very exciting visa story! Courtney even joked one day that we had a keynote speech at breakfast on health care. The breakfast conversation is stimulating and you can just listen if you want which is just as enjoyable as taking part.
The gourmet cookies were another favorite with the guests. It got competitive as guests would compete for their favorite cookies. For the best selection come between 2pm to 3pm but there are always a couple left at 4pm. I recommend the chewy brownies, the chocolate chip and the cranberry oatmeal. There was also one that looked like two waffles stuck together with jam which was so good, I had two! I recommend getting your cookie and a cup of tea and sitting on the verandah perusing the New York Times as a mid afternoon activity before dinner.
If you want company in the afternoon, Noelle has a degree in International Business, she can tell you about her travels to Botswana and Ethiopia or she can share her fish taco recipes with you or where she likes to eat in DC. Kelly is also very friendly.
To walk off the cookies, walk up the escalator at Woodley Park metro, it is about 70 steps up a moving escalator and carry water to drink at the top. Get a 7 day pass for $45 unlimited travel even to the airport. National is a 30 minute trip with one transfer and you can do the trip with a suitcase.
We must thank Courtney and Joe for making all this possible but for me the highlight were the cookies!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank marjie905
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I went to DC for a conference with my coworker. We had a limited budget for attending the conference and Woodley was an excellent choice. Our rooms were great! They came with everything we could need and more! The staff was beyond excellent. My bags got lost at the airport and I wasnt able to stay and wait for them. Kelly was about to not only get my bag but also sent me a text message to let me know that it had arrived! Kelly was also super helpful in letting us know where the good places to eat were as well as how far places were to see if we could walk or if we should get a cab. I will no doubt be back to woodley. I highly recommend a stay!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business