“Convenient and clean”

The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
Ranked #88 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I travel to DC 2x a year and I either stay here or at The W. Since my client is near Westin, I opted this hotel for this trip. I like the fact that they updated their lobby. However, their front desk weren't that accommodating. They're too busy with "work" that they forget to be "hospitable".

The room is well maintained, clean and spacious. Though I would've preferred a room with a view instead of a parking lot next door. The bed on the other hand is heavenly. Slept like a baby. Love the bathroom, especially the shower.

Starbucks on the lobby is a bonus but be prepared to wait. There's only 1 person running this location.

The Westin DC City Center is walking distance from the cool shops and booming restaurants on 14 Street up to U street. I really enjoyed that walk. So much to see, do and check out.

It is also half a mile away from the White House and a mile and half away from Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, WW2 Memorial and the museums.

Not bad for the location. Price is OK. I just wish the people who works are nicer. They need to learn to smile and focus on the client and not just on what they were doing behind the desk.

P.S. Go eat THE PIG!!!

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for a room facing the M Street or 14th Street.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NoHoBoy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,049)

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just returned home after a 6 day stay ( April 13 to 19). I stayed with my husband and daughter 14 years and son 11 years. I was very nervous having read all the negative reviews. We booked a studio suite room which had 2 double beds and a sofa bed.

I had been unable to get any hotel in Washington to guarantee a connecting king/double to a twin room with the exception of the mandarin oriental ( I was not keen on its location and complaints of train noise) and the four seasons( almost £2000 extra for 6 days and higher up in Georgetown so not able to walk to the sights).

When we checked in at 1605 the front desk tried to put us in a double double facing the street but my husband pointed out that we had booked the studio suite. We were told that it wasn't ready and would be about 40 minutes. We were given vouchers for drinks. After 60 minutes they offered us the use of a temporary room to use facilities and drop our bags so that we could go out sightseeing. Our bags had been moved to our room when we returned in the evening.

The studio suite was a very large space with 2 double beds and a sofa bed and 2 armchairs. This allowed my children to have a bed each. The room was clean, beds were comfortable, and the shower was excellent.

We were on the 8th floor so experienced problems with only 2 out of 4 functioning elevators which was irritating. We sat in the lobby one night for a post dinner drink but the atmosphere was very bland and business-like, unimpressive and unwelcoming.

I would rather not stay here again but for a family of four who only use the hotel to bathe and sleep and have so much space the room cannot be beaten.

2  Thank Annie D
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is the second time I have been to this property. The renovation, almost complete, incorporate a redesign of the interior lobby and restaurants that is very welcoming. The staff was attentive and professional and the location to the White House, and other favorite DC attractions, is hard to beat. I would not let the almost complete renovation deter you from staying here, especially for the right rate. This property is also within walking distance to Barcelona D.C. an excellent off property restaurant.

1  Thank Robert K
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Hotel is average but getting the accounting dept to return calls is impossible. I just need an invoice. It's been two weeks, no less than 6 voicemails and no response from anyone at this property. This place is in poor shape anyway. They are under renovation. Don't expect to sleep in past eight. There are plenty of properties in DC. Choose another location.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The hotel is recently renovated which is nice however the elevators were not in service during our stay - at times only 1 of 4 elevators worked - at the moment all 4 are out of service. We are on the10th floor with a baby in stroller so the stairs are not an option. What a mess!!! Staff seem indifferent about this issue. Everyone is upset and the hotel is very crowded for Easter/spring break. I had so many issues booking this hotel on SPG which already made me frustrated. At check in I was told they would send free drink coupons to the room but we have already spent 4 nights here and I have not seen them. I am SPG gold and have been increasingly disappointed with the service and hotels in this brand!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 19 April 2014

2 of the elevators still not working with heavy Easter traffic. Stairs not really an alternative. When keys (all 3!) did not work anymore when returning in afternoon, then I was told it was my fault!

Rooms not done up, when arriving after long day at 4:15pm. I called to ask if it was possible to make them up ... still waiting!

Beer costs 8$.

Great location though.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Ongoing renovations were a surprise, but not much of a problem beyond slow elevator service at times, because two of the four are out of service. And a lack of in-hotel easily accessible restaurant service was a second issue. But the staff contacts were so negative that the only reason this hotel gets even two stars is that the room was clean, pleasant, and comfortable. The green protocols are much appreciated. BUT -- It took approximately 20 minutes to check in and there was no one in front of me at the desk. The person on the other end of the phone was more important than the tired traveler standing in front of the counter. In addition, I was in town on business. Paying for internet may be common in DC, but it is unacceptable. It is even more unacceptable when the "free access" in the lobby in fact is virtually unusable and the consumer's computer is blamed for this. And the staff attitude is aggressively disinterested in the resulting inconvenience and frustration. I will be informing my business host of these difficulties. The office sent out several emails to meeting participants, expecting everyone to "be in the know" the next day. I wasn't and others may not have as well. DC is a great city for business or touring, but not when your base is such a mess. Staff needs renovation.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business