“Westin quality with several flaws”

The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
Ranked #88 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
La Jolla, California
“Westin quality with several flaws”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed 3 nights on business. I really wanted to try this Westin because I like the Westin Arlington Gateway in Ballston so much, but I won't come back here. The room has good Westin aspects - bathrobe, comfy bed, neutral decor, those nice green leaf soaps, Complimentary bottled water, in-room coffee with real cream, and a refrigerator. But. The room and bathroom are smallish. My big problem is that it was hard to sleep because I had a 1st floor room on the atrium. I did not mind looking out over the atrium like some other reviewers; my problem was the noise. You can hear the people in the lobby until at least midnight when it finally starts to quiet down. The up side to being on the atrium is that I could pirate the wireless from the lobby and not pay the outrageous $12.95/night connect charge. The remodel is essentially done, but two working elevators were V-E-R-Y slow. At one point another guest and I decided to walk down the stairs, because we had mistakenly gotten off on the Mezzanine, but there were no obvious stairs and we ended up in the service part of the hotel. I was really sort of shocked by the dingy, unpleasant, smelly conditions in this non-guest part of the hotel - it cannot be very pleasant for the staff. I decided to eat in the hotel restaurant my first night, but I went in and walked around a bit, trying to get someone's attention to ask if they had food or table service, and none of the staff made eye contact. I a couple with little kids who had menus, so obviously there was food to be had. Finally I just left and walked 1/2 mile over my fall-back place on 19th St - too bad. With so many hotels in this area there is just nothing compelling about this Westin.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep before midnight, be sure you don't get an atrium room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank hollyberry57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I travel to DC 2x a year and I either stay here or at The W. Since my client is near Westin, I opted this hotel for this trip. I like the fact that they updated their lobby. However, their front desk weren't that accommodating. They're too busy with "work" that they forget to be "hospitable".

The room is well maintained, clean and spacious. Though I would've preferred a room with a view instead of a parking lot next door. The bed on the other hand is heavenly. Slept like a baby. Love the bathroom, especially the shower.

Starbucks on the lobby is a bonus but be prepared to wait. There's only 1 person running this location.

The Westin DC City Center is walking distance from the cool shops and booming restaurants on 14 Street up to U street. I really enjoyed that walk. So much to see, do and check out.

It is also half a mile away from the White House and a mile and half away from Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, WW2 Memorial and the museums.

Not bad for the location. Price is OK. I just wish the people who works are nicer. They need to learn to smile and focus on the client and not just on what they were doing behind the desk.

P.S. Go eat THE PIG!!!

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for a room facing the M Street or 14th Street.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NoHoBoy
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just returned home after a 6 day stay ( April 13 to 19). I stayed with my husband and daughter 14 years and son 11 years. I was very nervous having read all the negative reviews. We booked a studio suite room which had 2 double beds and a sofa bed.

I had been unable to get any hotel in Washington to guarantee a connecting king/double to a twin room with the exception of the mandarin oriental ( I was not keen on its location and complaints of train noise) and the four seasons( almost £2000 extra for 6 days and higher up in Georgetown so not able to walk to the sights).

When we checked in at 1605 the front desk tried to put us in a double double facing the street but my husband pointed out that we had booked the studio suite. We were told that it wasn't ready and would be about 40 minutes. We were given vouchers for drinks. After 60 minutes they offered us the use of a temporary room to use facilities and drop our bags so that we could go out sightseeing. Our bags had been moved to our room when we returned in the evening.

The studio suite was a very large space with 2 double beds and a sofa bed and 2 armchairs. This allowed my children to have a bed each. The room was clean, beds were comfortable, and the shower was excellent.

We were on the 8th floor so experienced problems with only 2 out of 4 functioning elevators which was irritating. We sat in the lobby one night for a post dinner drink but the atmosphere was very bland and business-like, unimpressive and unwelcoming.

I would rather not stay here again but for a family of four who only use the hotel to bathe and sleep and have so much space the room cannot be beaten.

2 Thank Annie D
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is the second time I have been to this property. The renovation, almost complete, incorporate a redesign of the interior lobby and restaurants that is very welcoming. The staff was attentive and professional and the location to the White House, and other favorite DC attractions, is hard to beat. I would not let the almost complete renovation deter you from staying here, especially for the right rate. This property is also within walking distance to Barcelona D.C. an excellent off property restaurant.

1 Thank Robert K
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Hotel is average but getting the accounting dept to return calls is impossible. I just need an invoice. It's been two weeks, no less than 6 voicemails and no response from anyone at this property. This place is in poor shape anyway. They are under renovation. Don't expect to sleep in past eight. There are plenty of properties in DC. Choose another location.

• Stayed March 2014
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

The hotel is recently renovated which is nice however the elevators were not in service during our stay - at times only 1 of 4 elevators worked - at the moment all 4 are out of service. We are on the10th floor with a baby in stroller so the stairs are not an option. What a mess!!! Staff seem indifferent about this issue. Everyone is upset and the hotel is very crowded for Easter/spring break. I had so many issues booking this hotel on SPG which already made me frustrated. At check in I was told they would send free drink coupons to the room but we have already spent 4 nights here and I have not seen them. I am SPG gold and have been increasingly disappointed with the service and hotels in this brand!

• Stayed April 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

2 of the elevators still not working with heavy Easter traffic. Stairs not really an alternative. When keys (all 3!) did not work anymore when returning in afternoon, then I was told it was my fault!

Rooms not done up, when arriving after long day at 4:15pm. I called to ask if it was possible to make them up ... still waiting!

Beer costs 8$.