“Disappointed ” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #86 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Atlanta, Georgia
“Disappointed ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

It took 3 times to find a clean room. Staff very friendly about the situation and gave us free breakfast coupons.
This morning only one desk clerk on duty, no concierge. Had to ask directions at Starbucks.
Something missing at this hotel and chain lately.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Sean C
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Good day “Disappointed”,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience. I apologize for not being able to meet your expectations during this stay. If your journey brings you back to Washington DC, please contact me directly so I can ensure renewal.
Live well,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

we stayed 2 nights in june 2014, the hotel was still being re furbished however the room we had was excellent, all clean/fresh and newly painted, plenty of room space and hanging space in the closet. The staff were efficient and friendly.
The room still had some paint smears on the carpet corners and bathroom ceiling, but who cares, th efurniture was new and clean.
Wifi in the room was an extra cost, but free access was provided in the lobby.
Overnight parking was expensive at $50, the parking station around the corner was half the price.
Location was good, we could walk to the Whitehouse in about 15 minutes, and from there its an easy walk (provided you like walking which we do) from the Lincoln memorial to Capital Hill and all the Museums in between.
We ate out so I can't comment on the hotel food.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I coordinated a large offsite meeting at this location and the top notch service that I received from the Sr. Sales Manager & the Food & Beverage coordinator has been outstanding, Although the meeting is far from over, I remain in contact with them and I do plan to book my next meeting in DC at the same venue. This location gives rock-star service!

Green Features: The staff was accommodating and exceeded my expectations.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is appears to be a recently renovated property and it shows beautifully. The lobby is sleek, efficient, and functional with work surfaces, seating areas, and bar/cafe adjacent to the lobby.

I'll explain the title to this review first. We drove a car into Washington and upon arriving at the hotel I inquired about parking. The attendant (who is not a Westin employee), said he would be happy to valet the car for $57 + taxes! I was in shock, I think I even laughed at the guy. Needless to say I declined that offer and asked where self parking was located. Now that he knew I wasn't a customer for this outrageous fee he threw out the the answer: 3 blocks away from the hotel as he pointed down "M" street. Rude, just plan rude. I then went to the concierge who, sheepishly said they did not have self-parking, and on Sunday (our day of arrival), the parking garage located in the hotel was closed. But - ah ha - the answer: park on the street at any metered space and on Sunday and overnight it is FREE! And sure enough I found a spot 25 feet from the entrance to the hotel. Undoubtedly a stroke of luck for sure.

After parking the car, check-in was less than fast and efficient. Although there were only a few guests checking in It appeared half the front desk staff was in training and the whole check in process was slow and somewhat dysfunctional.

We stayed on the 11th floor, Westin's preferred floor, and the room was outstanding in every way. Bay windows looked out over the lobby below. With the roof all windows there was plenty of natural sunlight coming through. The room was all new, rugs, furniture, etc. A small refrigerator was in the room that was both quiet and cold (as opposed to what typically exists in hotel rooms with refrigerators). Best parts: The bed was perfect Westin - their trademark Heavenly bed! It gave me the first good nights sleep in a week of travel. The bathroom: spectacular: A combination rain shower and hand-held shower; large well lit mirror and counter. Honestly, the best bathroom I can remember in a standard hotel room.

Room service dinner was good, just a burger but cooked perfectly and delivered hot.

We did not use the fitness room located off the lobby but it looked spacious and seemed to have all of the latest equipment.

All-in-all, I was very impressed with this Westin - save of course the car parking situation.

Room Tip: Always my preference: upper floors, away from the elevator
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
STOCKPORT- UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I walked into my first room and it was filthy. The management took 45 minutes to resolve the situation and the male manager became quite rude. still now after 7 days the General Manager has not contacted me to explain, despite 5 attempts. I asked them to move me to another hotel and I was declined. The rooms are aged and the refit to the hotel was purely cosmetic to the open areas, the rooms still need renovation. There is no swimming pool in this hotel, unlike others in the area. There was no restaurant open in the hotel - only a limited bar food service. The hotel is not cheap, and certainly needs to improve its overall standard. How dare the management become rude to me just because I dare find fault with there cleanliness.

The Washington Plaza (opposite) and Loews (next door) both seem a better option

Room Tip: A lot of the rooms are dark and don't even have a window. If you decided to stay id suggest a hi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NIGELPHILLIPS
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.I am sorry we did not deliver the Westin Experience for you and assure you I will look into your challenges and ensure appropriate follow up. I would like the opportunity to speak with you and offer a personal apology and renewal. If you have the opportunity please contact me directly.
Be well,
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

At $300/night, this is an expensive property. Like other Westins, the bathroom is very well appointed, the bed is quite comfortable, and the room itself is attractive. I was disappointed that the property does not have a club level as it meant I had to give myself some additional time in the morning to get breakfast. I had a room facing the inner atrium, so it was quiet and without any street noise. Check in was quick and easy. The elevators are somewhat slow. The closest metro stop is several blocks away. Taxi from DCA runs about $20.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TwinComanche
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Good day TwinComanche,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We are re-modernizing our elevators to improve their speed and efficiency. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Washington DC City Center in the future.
Be well,
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed for weekend trip in DC with my wife. Location is ideal for walking to all the monuments and museums. the bed was comfortable. my room was cold (felt like 68 degrees) which I enjoyed but my wife complained of being cold. the thermostat did not change the temperature despite being increased to 80. the room was modern, and clean. I felt the cost (55 dollars/day) was high for valet parking on weekend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple