“Don't Trust Billing, or the Front Desk regarding Folios!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center

The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
Ranked #86 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
West Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Don't Trust Billing, or the Front Desk regarding Folios!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Uneventful stay until checkout, and beyond. Room was fine if cramped 2 bedroom. Bathroom clean but small. At checkout, I noticed two overnight parking charges ($55 each), which was incorrect because we did not have a vehicle to park. I visited the front desk and the person apologized and removed the two overnight parking charges, giving me a revised folio showing appropriate $787.80 charge to my credit card. My credit card statement 10 days later showed an additional $166+ charge, and when I called to inquire, THREE overnight parking fees had been added and the folio unilaterally revised to include the parkign charges and another charge against my credit card. This hotel has also charged me one-night's stay for a cancellation despite a no-fee for cancellation reservation that I cancelled two weeks prior to the stay. Botom line: DO NOT TRUST THIS WESTIN'S BILLING DEPARTMENT. I've never had these issues with any other Westin property.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Good day,
Thank you for being our guest and sharing your experience. The challenges regarding your bill are concerning to me and I would like to ensure they have been corrected. Please contact me directly at the hotel so can ensure this has been resolved to your satisfaction.
Be well,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
Fremantle, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Our stay at this hotel was unacceptable. I am SPG Gold, and was given a room on the first floor. There was hair in the bed and all through the bathroom. The bedspread was stained. We asked for the room to be cleaned. Got a call back to say we'd be moved to another room. No-one came after five minutes, so we went downstairs with our bags. We then got a new room which smelt a bit musty, and we found more hair, but couldn't be bothered changing rooms again, so we stuck with it. In the morning, the fire alarm went off, and we had to evacuate the building, ending up in a laneway with no staff. We waited for some time with other guests (one lady was in a bathrobe) but no staff came. We went back to the hotel, and they were letting people back in. So, went back to room, and my wife asked me to make a coffee. It was then that we discovered the source of the musty smell - the inside of the coffee maker was half full of green mold, suggesting it hadn't been cleaned or used in months. Other problems included shower curtain rod being loose resulting in the rod sagging so I would bang my head on it; noisy air conditioner; and the air conditioner vent hanging loose near the front door. We mentioned all of this when checking out, and was told it would be looked into. But shows a lack of attention to basic maintenance and cleanliness - and if we got the gold treatment, I feel sorry for anyone staying in their 'regular' rooms. Very poor.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
2 Thank Pavlich
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Good day,
Thank you for being our guest and taking time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear you’re your stay with us was not up to the Westin Standards. I will be following up with our housekeeping team regarding your room cleanliness and conditions as well as the front office team regarding the delays with the room move. Our emergency procedures have a manager and associate designated to each exit. It is concerning that you did not see any associates or leaders when you exited the building and we will review this process.
If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Renovation of the hotel made for a very nice stay. Teresea at check in was very nice. Our bellman Martin could not have been nicer, rooms were clean and well lite. Retrieval of car from valet took awhile on both occasions. They suggest 30 min, they mean it....

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Boca Raton, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past and was generally satisfied. My most recent visits, however, have been disappointing. Several months ago I arrived at 1 a.m. and waited in line for 30 minutes to check in. Then I found the room safe still locked by the previous guest. Early the next morning there were workers on scaffolding right outside my room and looking in. The front desk was surprised but couldn't guarantee they wouldn't be there the next day. I had to repack and change rooms. Last night I checked in and was given a room that was still not cleaned from the prior guest. Towels on the floor, bed unmade. Months after the "renovation" the elevators are still not synchronized. You have to push buttons for both banks separately. Not at all commensurate with Westin standards.

Room Tip: Wifi reception is uneven. Ask at check in if the reception will be acceptable.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Good day,
Thank you for being our guest and taking time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear we have fallen short of your expectations during recent visits. We strive to exceed our guest’s expectations and I will utilize your feedback for coaching and improving our service. I would like to ensure renewal on your next visit. Please contact me directly so I may be of assistance.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had stayed in this property for 4 nights recently and we had experienced an extremely bad service.Although we had booked a city view room prior to our visit to this hotel by paying extra amount, we were put up in a lobby view room . To our utter shock ,on the day we checked out ,3 laundry bills totalling the amount of $131 was added to our account which we did not in any way generate. We pointed out the error immediately before clearing the bill and after verifying the error with the concerned department they reversed the amount. But to our utter dismay , a day after we left the hotel they charged once again, the same laundry bills to my credit card account. We immediately called the hotel front desk but they told us to contact one Mr.Emmanual through an extension number , which we tried several times , but it always went to voicemail. We left a message on his voice mail but there was no response. It's extremely disappointing , not to mention frustrating even when the least we can expect from a hotel of this stature is a response being so careless about their duties.
I recommend to all please stay away from this property. They are cheats.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Equbal P
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Good day,
Thank you for being our guest. We strive to have our guests leave here feeling better than when they arrived. I am so sorry we were unable to honor the room type and the challenges with your folio. Please contact me at the hotel so I can ensure we promptly take care of any billing errors and I can ensure this is resolved to your satisfaction.
Dhaka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Westin for almost 3 weeks. I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly, check in and out was a breeze and they handled my extended stay without fuss. Rooms are great, the giant tv good for sport. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The location to good restaurants on 1400 is fantastic. Well done.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Lowell C
philly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

A lot of reviews prior to March 2014 refer to the poor general condition of the property. I think all of those can be ignored now. The lobby, restaurant, gym and rooms are all done and it feels like a brand new hotel. I particularly like the huge TV in the room with a good selection of HD channels. A lot of hotels simply put flat screens into rooms but don't upgrade the infrastructure that provides the content.

The bathroom is modern and while it looks like the tubs are original, the walls and hardware were upgraded to provide an awesome rain shower head. Bed was also extremely comfortable.

Location is also good. Easy 5 minute walk to McPherson Square metro. 10 minute walk to the Pennsylvania Ave. side of the White House. Maybe 15-20 minutes down to the Washington Monument.

I got a fantastic AAA $167 rate, which seems too good to be true for the property and location.

Room Tip: ask for exterior facing room. Half the rooms on each floor face the atrium/inside.
Green Features: Opt for the "GO Green" option when you check in if you are an SPG member. They will give 500 points extra per night if you forgo maid service and re-use towels/sheets.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business