“Charming Dupont Circle historic hotel”
Review of Tabard Inn

Tabard Inn
Ranked #111 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
central Pennsylvania
“Charming Dupont Circle historic hotel”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

A recent stay at this hotel was wonderful. I opted for a second-floor room with shared bath, which was fine, and given the complimentary breakfast that came with the deal, very budget-friendly. There is an option to use a super quiet AC, or ceiling fan; my only criticism concerned the firm mattress, not quite to my liking, but minor, given my overall appreciation for this hotel. The corridors and rooms are decorated with art and historic prints on the walls, eclectic antiques for furnishings, all done tastefully and not overwhelming. While there indeed is no elevator, the young woman at the desk actually carried my suitcase up two flights of stairs without my asking, a kindness which I shall long remember. The breakfast for hotel guests is served individually in the dining room or on the outside patio (you are encouraged to leave a tip); the baked goods were particularly tasty and of high quality. The patio has some quirky sculptures and some nice plantings, including a little fig tree! I met up with a friend for dinner at the hotel the first night, and given that it was Restaurant Week in D.C., we had a delicious and reasonable meal, with a particularly noteworthy dessert. The menu offers very nice choices at all three meals of the day. At night it can get noisy, with conversations wafting up from the bar or outside patio, but on one of the three nights that I stayed, the female vocalist's jazz standards simply added to the charm of this hotel's atmosphere. It takes less than five minutes to reach Connecticut Avenue on foot, barely ten to reach Dupont Circle and its subway stop, which is well connected to the rest of the city.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Budgettravel55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

This is a favorite place of mine to stay. Comfortable, clean, quiet and ideally located in Dupont; my favorite DC neighborhood. I usually stay in a B&B but this place offers an amazing restaurant, music and ambiance in the sitting room w a fireplace for cold night's. Rooms have WiFi and no TVs. Lots of space, great window views to city and their garden and a great retreat. Famous for its attraction in the Journalism world too. I'd highly recommend it. Can be expensive but I usually travel to DC on business so its better than many hotels! Breakfast, dinner and cocktails are fantastic too!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Rubyscharm
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This place is charming and unique, but I won't go back. I had reserved many weeks in advance for a 3 night stay and told the hotel I needed a first floor room since stairs are difficult for me and there's no elevator. I was assured of a first floor room. A few days before my arrival I got a confirmation e-mail from the hotel and I e-mailed back reminding them about the first floor room. When I arrived, they said the first floor room was available for one night only. The rather confused explanation was that one of two first floor rooms was being renovated, and that a new staff person had mistakenly rented the other for my planned second and third nights to someone planning a long stay. I'm not sure why they didn't decide to displace the other person who was arriving the next day--probably because they were getting more money out of them. They offered me a second floor room, which I took because I wasn't sure how easy it would be to find something else at a reasonable price. I managed, although the stairs were difficult and uncomfortable for me. What really annoyed me was that they did not respond to my reminder and let me know the room wasn't available-- I would then have time to find something else. Again, it seems like they valued the money over comfort and service to guests.

As I said, the place was charming and the room was cute. The included breakfast was excellent. Location is great; easy to get around by public transportation. But, as I also said, I won't go back, nor will I recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: Be aware it is several stories with no elevator. Some stairs are steep and narrow.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Bridget_Owl
Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

I love this place, feels old yet it's comfortable and the food is amazing. If the weather permits, sit outside. It's a great breakfast spot and well worth it. Afterwards you can continue touring around DC because its not out of the way.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Charming, historic building in a great location. I loved eating breakfast in the courtyard and I enjoyed a few dinners that were more than respectable. The rooms are tiny and there are shared bathrooms which is to be expected with the price. I spent one night in the penthouse suite which was lovely! I have to say, though, that the best part of my experience was the bar. The mixologist who was working during the evenings was spectacular. She made amazing drinks. That might explain why I slept so well.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights in April. Loved the unique decorating and our dinner was outstanding! The room was very comfortable. Need to be able to walk up and down stairs and step into a claw foot tub. Staff were very accommodating. Good vibe throughout!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rosemary A
Toronto
Reviewed 31 July 2013

A lovely spot, charming, with an away from it all feel...though in bustling restaurant-laden area.
Meal was innovative, interesting, tasty. Staff friendly and competent . Back patio a delight.inside warm, inn feeling

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends