Tabard Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Kimpton Topaz Hotel(Washington DC)
  • Pool
The Jefferson, Washington DC(Washington DC)
  • Restaurant
Kimpton Rouge Hotel(Washington DC)
  • Room Service
The Dupont Circle(Washington DC)
  • Pool
All reviewsprivate bathdupont circlelive jazzshared bathroomquirky hotelantique furniturememory foamrow houseslounge areachain hotelsquiet streetrestaurant staffsmall roomdc areawhite housebrunchfireplace
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 September 2013

When searching for a hotel in DC, it was hard to find one that ticked my usual boxes of being affordable, stylish and in a very central location. Fortunately, the Tabard Inn is all of these things.

The location is very central, just a couple very easy blocks walk from Dupont Circle and the subway line there. It's no more than a 5 minute walk.

The hotel itself is well maintained and very unique with an eclectic mix of period furnishings in a historic home setting. It's a pleasure to find oneself in such a historic atmosphere in such an historic city.

Breakfast is included in the room rate, and while by no means lavish was cooked fresh for each guest and was both tasty and filling.

The staff were also helpful with maps and directions, I found them pleasant throughout.

And of course you can't beat the rates, which are significantly cheaper than the big hotels.

Definitely recommended, would stay here without a doubt if I am ever back in DC.

Room Tip: Be aware that some of the rooms have a shared bathroom, which means you have to exit your room to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. I didn't find this a problem at all, but others might. If so, you can ask for a room with en suite bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We chose the Tabard Inn as a classic hotel in Washington, with a real sense of history and style. It certainly delivered on those counts. We had booked two rooms and were upgraded to a two bedroomed suite which was wonderful. The larger room was massive with comfortable seating areas, writing bureaus and an eclectic mixture of antique furniture and paintings. The smaller one was a little cramped but no less stylish.
We had a very enjoyable evening meal, selecting from an interesting and varied menu, and the set breakfast was fine. It was clearly a v popular venue and the live jazz music and busy chatter really added to the ambience.
My one criticism has been noted by other reviewers - some of the restaurant staff were curt and almost surly. This was in contrast to the reception and cleaning staff who were all charming. It was a pity and I hope the management will read these reviews and address this as visiting the Tabard really should warrant an Excellent rating.

Room Tip: Remember - there are no lifts at the Tabard!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne E
Reviewed 28 August 2013

A recent stay at this hotel was wonderful. I opted for a second-floor room with shared bath, which was fine, and given the complimentary breakfast that came with the deal, very budget-friendly. There is an option to use a super quiet AC, or ceiling fan; my only criticism concerned the firm mattress, not quite to my liking, but minor, given my overall appreciation for this hotel. The corridors and rooms are decorated with art and historic prints on the walls, eclectic antiques for furnishings, all done tastefully and not overwhelming. While there indeed is no elevator, the young woman at the desk actually carried my suitcase up two flights of stairs without my asking, a kindness which I shall long remember. The breakfast for hotel guests is served individually in the dining room or on the outside patio (you are encouraged to leave a tip); the baked goods were particularly tasty and of high quality. The patio has some quirky sculptures and some nice plantings, including a little fig tree! I met up with a friend for dinner at the hotel the first night, and given that it was Restaurant Week in D.C., we had a delicious and reasonable meal, with a particularly noteworthy dessert. The menu offers very nice choices at all three meals of the day. At night it can get noisy, with conversations wafting up from the bar or outside patio, but on one of the three nights that I stayed, the female vocalist's jazz standards simply added to the charm of this hotel's atmosphere. It takes less than five minutes to reach Connecticut Avenue on foot, barely ten to reach Dupont Circle and its subway stop, which is well connected to the rest of the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Budgettravel55
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

This is a favorite place of mine to stay. Comfortable, clean, quiet and ideally located in Dupont; my favorite DC neighborhood. I usually stay in a B&B but this place offers an amazing restaurant, music and ambiance in the sitting room w a fireplace for cold night's. Rooms have WiFi and no TVs. Lots of space, great window views to city and their garden and a great retreat. Famous for its attraction in the Journalism world too. I'd highly recommend it. Can be expensive but I usually travel to DC on business so its better than many hotels! Breakfast, dinner and cocktails are fantastic too!!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Rubyscharm
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This place is charming and unique, but I won't go back. I had reserved many weeks in advance for a 3 night stay and told the hotel I needed a first floor room since stairs are difficult for me and there's no elevator. I was assured of a first floor room. A few days before my arrival I got a confirmation e-mail from the hotel and I e-mailed back reminding them about the first floor room. When I arrived, they said the first floor room was available for one night only. The rather confused explanation was that one of two first floor rooms was being renovated, and that a new staff person had mistakenly rented the other for my planned second and third nights to someone planning a long stay. I'm not sure why they didn't decide to displace the other person who was arriving the next day--probably because they were getting more money out of them. They offered me a second floor room, which I took because I wasn't sure how easy it would be to find something else at a reasonable price. I managed, although the stairs were difficult and uncomfortable for me. What really annoyed me was that they did not respond to my reminder and let me know the room wasn't available-- I would then have time to find something else. Again, it seems like they valued the money over comfort and service to guests.

As I said, the place was charming and the room was cute. The included breakfast was excellent. Location is great; easy to get around by public transportation. But, as I also said, I won't go back, nor will I recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: Be aware it is several stories with no elevator. Some stairs are steep and narrow.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo