“Historical Inn near Dupont Circle” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Tabard Inn
Ranked #111 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Bruges, Belgium
“Historical Inn near Dupont Circle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed 7 nights at the Tabard Inn based on other reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed.

Remember that this Inn is located in 3 townhouses which have been connected and restored. The antique furnishing, wooden floors in the rooms and decor take you back in time. There is wifi in the Inn but not a television in the place - so refreshing once you try it! Also no elevators so be prepared for some stairs.

We stayed on the second floor (if you count them as ground, one and two). The Inn is a bit of a rabbit warren with little hallways throughout and staircases to climb. We think it adds to the charm. As you walk through you can admire all of the art and curiosities that decorate the place - including the mannequin sitting in the "hallway bath"!

Our room had queen bed, private bath and a little walk in closet with a door at the far end that was attached to another room but sealed shut. We were away from the bar and restaurant on the ground level and entertainment rooms on the first level. We faced the back and had no view apart from the fire escape and back alley. That was fine as the room was very quiet, well appointed and spacious. The bathroom was vintage with toilet, stand alone sink and older "Standard" tub with shower. If you want modern, this is NOT the place for you. You can book into the Topaz next door and pay twice as much!

The included breakfast selection is fine. If you want more, there is a full menu. The lounge is very interesting. We didn't partake of the bar selection as my partner was unable to have alcohol due to some medication - our loss as the place looked very entertaining. We had dinner once - mine was fine but my partner didn't care for her selection - the luck of the draw! The servers are very nice but somewhat forgetful - rather like the clientele!

I'd stay again at the Tabard. The location is close to Dupont Circle, the Metro and lots of sites like the Phillips Collection and St Matthews Cathedral (site of JFKs funeral where young John did his famous salute).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jimbo S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I've stayed four times at the Tabard and have been glad I did every time. The place is a gem - fabulous location, rooms at a range of price points that are all good choices, and mainly it's just the atmosphere that wins me over - the old wood-paneled lounge with a wood fire going every night (in the cold weather) is just the beginning. The rooms all have their own character, tasteful and nicely decorated in historic styles, not fussy at all. The included breakfast is good, with four set choices (bacon egg and toast, granola, scones, and oatmeal if I recall correctly, with juice/tea/coffee included). If you're familiar with the famous Tabard brunch, the full breakfast menu is available but costs extra. Also, they prominently note that tip is not included in your free breakfast. I personally feel like a free breakfast should be free and they should pay the staff accordingly.

My one beef with the Tabard is with whoever chooses their art - someone who has rather pervy taste. For example, there's a poster right at the top of the main staircase featuring a guy's face looking up at a half-naked women, with the eye positioned in a very specific location. One picture, I might let it go. Then I stayed in a room where the poster over the tub featured a topless nymph with four old men's faces leering up at her. I like looking at an artistic nude as much as the next person, but the number of times there's a leering man included in the picture - not necessary, especially in the bathroom.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Mill Valley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We love the Tabard! it's in Dupont Circle, a terrific liveable neighborhood; the Luna Cafe around the corner on Connecticut is a neighborhood joint, delicious & cheap. The rooms are very variable. Some seem like great deals, others are tiny, others are expensive given the hotel's drawbacks. (Yes, it's eccentric and quirky, sound sometimes travels between rooms, the first floor is often humming with parities, and you have to carry your own bags upstairs.) We have a favorite room -- a big parlor, reasonably priced because it shares a bathroom with one other room. (deepest tub I've ever soaked in.) Fabulous if expensive restaurant. Breakfast included. Nice other guests. Avoid room #9 -- on the backstairs, dark & tiny like a servant's quarter. Ask to see another room if you don't like what's offered (before you schlep your bags up.) Very very courteous and patient staff. Fabulous downstairs living room/pub with fire going in winter and oils of George Washington, etc on the walls. Great place to meet friends. We felt like every corner of the hotel was somehow our own.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9. Rooms with shared baths are often great deals and not as creepy as it sounds. Ask for...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MillValleyTrueLotus
Wayne, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Imagine my surprise when I got home and checked my email, only to find an alert from my bank....I was nearing the balance that would activate my overcharge protection. Hmmmm. There it was....two charges from Tabard Inn. One when we arrived, and one when we left.
Apparently, the person behind the desk re-swiped our card, when it was not necessary; a charge had already been made on that card for our stay. I have to wonder what might have happened if I hadn't gotten the head's up from the bank. I tend to doubt Tabard would have independently tagged the mistake.....

Room Tip: WIFI is flakey in the more far-flung rooms. If you need it, stay near the office.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anchaesposa
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

The Tabard Inn has an unusual combination of qualities. Start with a late-60s, funky vibe, including old Easter-style rugs, a mish-mash of paintings and posters, purple and green walls in the rooms and old but comfortable couches in the lounge. Add a truly excellent breakfast, a great jazz duo at night and a well-mixed Manhattan. Throw in good service from a young and happy staff and finish with a terrific location and reasonable prices. If you are looking for something modern, with straight floors and a marble bathroom, this is not the place for you. If you appreciate something out of the ordinary and if you are flexible, check out the Tabard Inn. We (including our 20-year-old daughter) enjoyed it ... and we will stay there next time we are in Washington.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank edojidai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

A long time time favorite but really disappointing last visit. Poor quality dinner in the once great restaurant - and small, worn out and very cold room at the back stairs - great location but that is about it. No more.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank David H
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at Tabard Inn every few years whenever I have come to DC over 25 years. My visit last week will be my last. What was once quaint and quirky has become run down, dusty and sometimes downright dirty. Who knows when the shower curtain in my room was last properly cleaned? Suffering from allergies, and despite suitable medication, I could really feel the dust. Staff were friendly and generally helpful but the heaters were off in my frozen room.The food and lounge area are still lovely. So next time, I'll pop in for its famous brunch, but definitely not stay there.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo