“Interesting and Eclectic; Great Staff!”
Review of Tabard Inn

Tabard Inn
Ranked #109 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 22 July 2006

I really enjoyed my recent stay at the Tabard! It was my first time in DC in many many years and the hotel's charm and hominess made me feel like I'd never left! The people at the desk were extremely helpful answering my many queries and the location put me in the very center of everything worth exploring in the Nation's Capital. The quality of the restaurant is also something that must be experienced by anyone interested in great food in a great atmosphere! I can't wait to return and I won't wait all the years I waited last time!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Vague_Memory

Reviewed 5 July 2006

I stayed with my daughter for three nights and I would return. The web site shows the funky decor in rich colors with a mix of old furniture. However the rooms aren't fancy - there's no tv, clock, radio, tissues, iron, or hair dryer in the room. There's one clerk generally working in a small office that has a window to the foyer, so you can check out an iron and blow dryer there. If you're not picky, and we weren't - this is okay. I loved the living room off the foyer - it's a dark paneled plush room -- lots of interesting discussions and people to watch. I went for a glass of wine every night before dinner to soak it all up. The location is great in that I stay at large hotels often and enjoyed being in a brown stone off a small street, and we could walk to most places. A room for 2 with a bath on the hall was 148 a night - and I think this is a pretty good price for the neighborhood. Also, I now understand the comment about it being a bad neighborhood in another review - the brownstones next to the Inn are boarded up (boards painted white) but cleaned up - I didn't notice this until day 2. I imagine that before they were sealed up, they probably detracted from the neighborhood, but you barely notice it now.

Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank Renavine
Reviewed 5 July 2006

My other half and I are not at all fussy about where we stay (a Motel 6 suits us fine), but we didn't like the Tabard. I admit that we were attracted by the low price of the smallest rooms (double bed with shared bath) but even I was surprised how little you get for your money. The room was so tiny (I'd guess no bigger than 8' x 12') that we had to stash lamps underneath/inside furniture to put down our two pieces of luggage.

I must also agree with the Dec '05 review about the noise. During our 3-night stay, the lively restaurant/bar crowd occasionally spilled over into the hallways of the hotel, and the noise carried extremely efficiently. The front-desk staff was not helpful in asking the patrons to quiet down, so on our final night there (a Friday), we took matters into our own hands and closed the door leading to the hotel rooms.

Finally, those cheap rooms are on the front of the hotel, which is near enough to Dupont Circle to get the spillover from there, too.

All this being said, the more expensive rooms seemed considerably nicer than ours, and the breakfast was good value. Furthermore, the room had a ceiling fan and A/C that worked fine.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank ValueValueValue
Reviewed 27 May 2006

We just spent the weekend in DC...and haven't stopped talking about our experience at the Hotel Tabard Inn! From the moment we walked into the lobby, we knew it was the perfect hotel for a couple spending a weekend away from the kids. We stayed in Room 5 (loved the color scheme) and immeadiately felt at home. It's in a great spot for those to prefer to walk and admire the surroundings, but is also right around the corner from the DuPont Circle Metro stop. We loved the continental breakfast (have the yogurt and granola!) and also had a drink in the lobby, one night after dinner. We are already planning a return trip with friends!

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank maryregs
Reviewed 23 April 2006

In the past have loved the private party room and come in for brunch. But this place has fallen way down hill. We tried to book an event for March and met with the most horrible owner/manager. I would actively say to stay away despite the lure of years gone by. I would encourage the family that owns it to take the young man running it packing and try to bring back what you once had.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank YankeeFanDC
Reviewed 5 April 2006

Bar scene was hopping on Saturday night. Chef is fabulous. We were attending a wedding reception and couldn't get enough of the food. The staff was very hospitable.

Rooms are all unique. Some are cheaper than others, but you get what you pay for. The way rates in DC have skyrocketed lately, this place is a steal. It's a short walk to the Dupont Circle metro. The neighborhood is filled with great restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank mjp3md
Reviewed 28 December 2005

We liked this hotel, But I understand why some others are upset by it.
Also, the prices range from $140 up, I believe.
Think of the place as a large Bed and Breakfast, with a first class restaurant attached. No, it is not the Hilton, with bellmen waiting for tips; you need to be able to take care of yourself, and be able to carry your bags up several flights of stairs; so pack light.
Our room (#58) was beautiful, but not suitable for modest people, as the attached bathroom had no door! Four poster bed, wonderful furniture, and great wooden blinds. The included breakfast is top quality too.

• Stayed: December 2005