“Tabard Inn; What a great stay”
Review of Tabard Inn

Tabard Inn
Ranked #109 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 9 October 2006

My wife and I recently stayed at the Tabard Inn to see all the sights of Washington. Our friends recommended the Tabard. I typically stay at Marriotts and the like but I thought I would give it a try. What a delight, set a on a quaint tree lined street off of the Dupont Circle area the hotel has the feel of an Inn in old Europe. From the moment we checked in we were treated warmly and graciously by a great eager staff. The room was absolutely charming, filled with antiques and amazing, creative touches. The bed was quite comfortable and the room quiet and peaceful.

The restaurant is quite good with lots of inventive takes on traditional dishes. Be sure to spend some time at the Bar as well, Mark (the bartender) is a great source of things to do in the city and is a real card that will be sure to make you smile before you retire for the evening.

Be warned, the rooms do not have TV’s. However, we were so busy we not notice them and it was nice to be away from the all the news, even though we were staying were lots of the news breaks.

We will definitely return to Tabard soon.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank GoFalcons100

Reviewed 18 August 2006

We stayed at the Tabard Inn for one night, mid-August, mid-week and were generally pleased overall. We're native DCers and needed an affordable hotel quickly. I found the Tabard Inn had the best prices for such short notice. The front desk person quoted me a rate of $103 for a small room w/shared bath, but assured me I would be upgraded to a better room when I checked in for no extra cost.

Apparently when I arrived 15 minutes later, she forgot and put me in the $103 room. It was in the front of the hotel, and was very small and dark. I immediately went back and reminded her of the upgrade. She was pleasant enough and upgraded me to Room 56 (which normally runs $178/night). Their website has pics of all the rooms, and the more expensive ones in the back section of the hotel are bigger. Tabard Inn has a european/slightly upscale hostel feel to it. You're given a real key (not a keycard) with a huge piece of wood attached with your room number printed on it. Our room had a small foyer/entrance with a writing desk, a queen bed with massive headboard, another writing table and an old-fashioned rotary phone (which didn't work, but who uses hotel phones anymore?). The faux fireplace added a nice touch, as well as the armoire & the funky divan, & chairs with animal print throw pillows.

The bathroom was a mix of new and old: the pedestal sink and loud-flushing toilet looked new, but the bathroom itself had an old (but clean) feeling. Plenty of towels hung on racks, there was toothpaste & jars of shampooo, conditioner & body wash in a basket (but not in their original containers, which seemed odd) . The shower/tub didn't have a curtain, just a drain in the floor and a splash guard on the window, and the doors to the bathroom were ventilated french-type doors…. so no room for modesty!

Room 56 was painted a soothing peachy color, had very high ceilings, and was shaped like an octogan, or sometihing similar, which added to the airy feeling. There was a wobbly ceiling fan over the bed, which we turned off, and 3 tall windows, one of which looked out onto the pretty outdoor patio of the restaurant. As a previous poster noted, there is no TV, no radio, no blow-dryer, or iron, but that's part of the charm. It was a little confusing finding the room, the staircases are narrow, but once we got the lay of the land, and the restaurant & lounges, it's wasn't a problem.

The bar scene was hopping, even on a Wed. night, and of course Dupont Circle is a great location for restaurants, bars, etc. I'd recommend Tabard Inn if you're not into creature comforts. If you are, the Topaz is right next door (a Kimpton boutique hotel).

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Pixie15
Reviewed 22 July 2006

I really enjoyed my recent stay at the Tabard! It was my first time in DC in many many years and the hotel's charm and hominess made me feel like I'd never left! The people at the desk were extremely helpful answering my many queries and the location put me in the very center of everything worth exploring in the Nation's Capital. The quality of the restaurant is also something that must be experienced by anyone interested in great food in a great atmosphere! I can't wait to return and I won't wait all the years I waited last time!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Vague_Memory
Reviewed 5 July 2006

I stayed with my daughter for three nights and I would return. The web site shows the funky decor in rich colors with a mix of old furniture. However the rooms aren't fancy - there's no tv, clock, radio, tissues, iron, or hair dryer in the room. There's one clerk generally working in a small office that has a window to the foyer, so you can check out an iron and blow dryer there. If you're not picky, and we weren't - this is okay. I loved the living room off the foyer - it's a dark paneled plush room -- lots of interesting discussions and people to watch. I went for a glass of wine every night before dinner to soak it all up. The location is great in that I stay at large hotels often and enjoyed being in a brown stone off a small street, and we could walk to most places. A room for 2 with a bath on the hall was 148 a night - and I think this is a pretty good price for the neighborhood. Also, I now understand the comment about it being a bad neighborhood in another review - the brownstones next to the Inn are boarded up (boards painted white) but cleaned up - I didn't notice this until day 2. I imagine that before they were sealed up, they probably detracted from the neighborhood, but you barely notice it now.

Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank Renavine
Reviewed 5 July 2006

My other half and I are not at all fussy about where we stay (a Motel 6 suits us fine), but we didn't like the Tabard. I admit that we were attracted by the low price of the smallest rooms (double bed with shared bath) but even I was surprised how little you get for your money. The room was so tiny (I'd guess no bigger than 8' x 12') that we had to stash lamps underneath/inside furniture to put down our two pieces of luggage.

I must also agree with the Dec '05 review about the noise. During our 3-night stay, the lively restaurant/bar crowd occasionally spilled over into the hallways of the hotel, and the noise carried extremely efficiently. The front-desk staff was not helpful in asking the patrons to quiet down, so on our final night there (a Friday), we took matters into our own hands and closed the door leading to the hotel rooms.

Finally, those cheap rooms are on the front of the hotel, which is near enough to Dupont Circle to get the spillover from there, too.

All this being said, the more expensive rooms seemed considerably nicer than ours, and the breakfast was good value. Furthermore, the room had a ceiling fan and A/C that worked fine.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank ValueValueValue
Reviewed 27 May 2006

We just spent the weekend in DC...and haven't stopped talking about our experience at the Hotel Tabard Inn! From the moment we walked into the lobby, we knew it was the perfect hotel for a couple spending a weekend away from the kids. We stayed in Room 5 (loved the color scheme) and immeadiately felt at home. It's in a great spot for those to prefer to walk and admire the surroundings, but is also right around the corner from the DuPont Circle Metro stop. We loved the continental breakfast (have the yogurt and granola!) and also had a drink in the lobby, one night after dinner. We are already planning a return trip with friends!

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank maryregs
Reviewed 23 April 2006

In the past have loved the private party room and come in for brunch. But this place has fallen way down hill. We tried to book an event for March and met with the most horrible owner/manager. I would actively say to stay away despite the lure of years gone by. I would encourage the family that owns it to take the young man running it packing and try to bring back what you once had.

• Stayed: March 2006