“Room was nice, but not worth the cost.”

Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel
Ranked #59 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Knoxville, TN
“Room was nice, but not worth the cost.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I think the room was great and I loved that it was right in the middle of everything. It certainly made using the public transportation easy. There are three bus stops at the corner of this hotel. The Circular bus is what we used the entire weekend (was only there for the Womens Nike race. The start line was a few blocks away. The bus is only a $1 per trip and was much cheaper than the subway (metro). The staff was friendly, but the elevator was broken the entire weekend. First I should say the elevator states the maximum load is 8, which is already small. but when you put luggage in there, you can barely hold 3. The smallest elevators i have ever seen. My linen closet is bigger than the elevators there. Secondly, they would not function properly. We were on the tenth floor and at one point the maid told us to take the stairs because it would "be a while". When the elevator did decide to move it would stop at every floor no matter what. It was just not funcitoning properly. This occured no matter the time of day. For such a nice hotel and such a nice price tag, the issue with the elevator should have been corrected on the first day. We left 3 days later, it was still broken.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TNmomKnoxville_TN
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Public acknowledgement:

Dear TNmomKnoxville_TN,

Thank you for your recent review of our property. I am so glad that you liked our hotel location and friendly staff.

It seems your overall stay with us was not 100% satisfactory. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the experience you had with the elevator. We will look into this concern. I will make sure that your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate departments and be reviewed. Your comments are truly valuable, as this will give us an opportunity to look for areas to improve.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to host you again on your next visit to Washington, DC.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel far exceeded our expectations. It's an older hotel that's been beautifully and thoughtfully renovated. Our room was a tad small by modern standards, but comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. It was the service, however, that really distinguished this hotel. Everything was spotless, and everyone was polite and accommodating. The concierge, Tony Brown, not only made a perfect recommendation for dinner, he walked with us halfway across the park to make sure we got there ok. Even the doorman was warm, friendly, and a great conversationalist. All in all one of the most pleasant hotel experiences I've had in DC, and at a reasonable price too. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Feferl
Nicole G, Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Feferl,

We very much appreciate the review regarding your recent stay with us. Our entire team takes pride in ensuring all of our guests are well cared for and it goes without saying that, Tony Brown and our Doormen, are tremendous assets to our operation. We are thrilled to know that all our your expectations were met and we look forward to being at your service for your next visit to Washington, DC.

Again we thank you,
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The stay was fine, room was clean, location good, K14 restaurant has wonderful food.
The only thing is that when we checked out early morning, we asked for a taxi to the airport, the doorman automatically put our luggage into this black SUV, and it doesn't have taxi sign or taxi meter on it, I was pretty suspicious and asked the doorman again, he reassured us that it is a taxi, luckily at the time, there's another taxi (with taxi sign) pulled over and told us don't take the black SUV, because it is a limo service and will over charge us, then we learnt that black SUV will charge anywhere between $25 - $45 to the National Airport which normal taxi ride should only be around $16. The taxi driver told us later that the black SUV usually have agreement with the doorman, and give them money for each deal they can get. We are very disappointed with the hotel as they allow or endorse this kind of service, and I can't believe that the doorman just chuck our luggage into the fake taxi and tell us it is the taxi.. he thinks he can fool us.. this is unacceptable from a hotel like Crown Plaza.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vicky R
Nicole G, Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Vicky R,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. I have sent you a personal message and look forward to learning more about your experience to ensure all levels of service are adhered to for all of our guests now and in the future.

Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights the first week of May with friends.

Unfortunately, no matter how nice the hotel is nor how convenient to sites or if the staff are friendly and helpful, when you feel like you are being financially ripped off all this is redundant.

On checkout we discovered that the rate we were charged was more than what we booked on their own website. It took some convincing for a correction to be made (which it was). How does this happen? Fortunately we checked our printout of our booking and could prove our case.

But the biggest problem is that they place a hold on your credit/debit card on check in. But they don't advise you of the amount (in our case $650 for a two night stay) nor do you know this will be on hold for up to 30 days! This is in addition to full payment. What the heck? This is unacceptable in my opinion, especially with debit cards which are now the alternative to travelers checks. Management have not responded to correspondence so another negative against this establishment.

Therefore I don't recommend this hotel nor would I stay there again.

Nzers

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nzers
Dear nzers,

Thank you for your recent review. Please read the personal message I sent you and feel free to reach out to me at your convenience.

I look forward to personally speaking to you further.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had three nights in adjoining rooms in the HCP - great to have the children near but not share a room. The room was lovely and comfortable, although I really don't get the collection of bolsters and cushions that have to be removed from the bed to sleep.

The room was clean and quiet, and there was a lovely aromatherapy kit available for use.
The breakfast buffet was delicious, with very fresh fruit and a wide variety of cooked items which we enjoyed very much, especially as it was included in the price of our room.

Two small gripes - the quote we received from the hotel didn't include tax - as a non-American I found this very annoying that our bill was $100 more than the quote because of this tax. It doesn't seem a hard thing to either mention the sales tax rate or include it.
Secondly as a Brit, it was a pain not to be able to make tea in our room. There was a great coffee machine which offered green tea and coffee but no way to get hot water except room service.

That said, I would go back to this hotel as the staff were lovely and helpful, the location is great and the rooms are very nice. It's not cheap, but at cherry blossom time it was peak season, and was a good experience.

Another plus point was the proximity to the metro - only about a block and a half which made it easy getting in from the airport by public transport.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had just one night to stay in DC before heading to stay with family in Virginia. The hotel was perfectly located, and the room was elegant and comfortable. Check in was quick, even though we were quite early, and we were able to leave our bags and hit the city. Enjoyed this hotel and we'll definitely go back when we can.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Chris L,

I wanted to take the time to thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay. We would be happy to have you back the next time you are in the Washington, DC area.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed here for four nights, and it was the first time I had ever travelled alone. The check in was a drama- I got there and they said I could check it at 1pm. I'd had a long flight and was tired, but I sat in the bar and waited. At 1pm, they said it would be another half an hour. However, I couldn't check in until 4:30pm. This really annoyed me, and it wasn't a great start to my stay here. The elevators were also broken, and stopping at every floor. This meant the lobby was packed full of people, and it took ages getting up to the floor.

The room itself was lovely, and the hotel was walking distance to a lot of things… there was a park next door to the hotel where a lot of homeless guys would say pretty nasty things as you walk past, but that isn't the hotels fault! You do have to pay for Wi-Fi, and it's about $13 a day… for a hotel that you're paying a lot for, that's a lot! You'd expect free Wi-Fi. The room service menu was quite small, but there were some nice places to eat around there.

My favourite thing about this hotel was the bed- I have NEVER slept in a comfier bed in my life! I don't know how they do it, but I had amazing nights sleep every night!

I would recommend this hotel, but I don't know that I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't try to check in early.