“Nice hotel, clean, spacious”

Hamilton Hotel Washington DC
Ranked #61 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My hubby and I decided to head to DC for a short babymoon before our first child arrives in November. The Hamilton aloud us to check in about an hour early which was great. The room was large, clean and spacious. Bathroom also gets two thumbs up. It was centrally located, only 1 block from the Metro.

The only complaint was the elevators from the lobby up took some extra time.

Also the hotel didn't do anything to recognize our babymoon...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and found the location near the White House, and near a metro station to be good. Our rooms were also very good. We had 2 rooms and were given connecting rooms without having to ask. The beds were very comfy, and we were not disturbed by any other guests.
We were on the included breakfast rate, and the breakfast was lovely.
Our only problem with the hotel was when we had an evening meal in the restaurant. The service was simply appalling - I cannot really understand why, but it is the only time during our US trip that we left no tip at all. It simply was that bad! Our waitress was unable to communicate, our main course arrived while we were still eating our starters. Drinks and chips failed to arrive etc. It was the worst meal we had in the US.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kay W
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Selected the Hamilton for a 3night/2 day business trip because it was in close proximity to our DC office and rated well on TA. Everyone in our group was pleased with the accommodations. The staff was professional, efficient and unobtrusive during a busy week that included the U.S.-African Leaders Summit. The decor is well done in this historic building. I stayed on the 11th floor in an inside room with no street noise. Housekeeping was particularly helpful with special requests. For a small $ upgrade at the time of booking, additional amenities in the room included a yoga mat, umbrella, and bath salts. The location is great for tourists visiting DC. and within walking distance to a number of attractions. As I find at many of the hotels I stay in, there were some items that required maintenance for which management appreciated being informed. Overall, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor, inside rooms are quieter. If you are an IHG rewards club member, you'll get free W...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel. It is extremely clean and elegant. We had booked - and paid for- a room for 3 people, but they did not put enough towels in the bathroom, and only 2 coffee mugs and 2 glasses. I asked at the front desk and almost immediately had extra towels brought to the room, but never got a third mug, even after I asked the front desk a second time. It is a small thing, but just enough to ruin your morning coffee. I don't give the hotel 5 stars for that reason.
Although centrally located, it should be noted that it is in front of a park full of homeless people, and at an intersection that is very noisy (emergency vehicles and drivers honking), even in the middle of the night.
The restaurant (14K) is o.k.; there are better and not as expensive restaurants nearby.
The cab fare from Dulles Airport was about 70$.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Geanne_54
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hamilton Hotel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Geanne_54,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It is really nice to know that you noticed the cleanliness of our property and found it elegant. On the other hand, please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects pf your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We spent one night at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza in early Aug. We do not live that far away in Northern Virginia but it was our anniversary so we attended a play, had a great dinner in the area and spent the night in the city for the occasion. This was not the hotel we originally reserved but due to an overbooking at our reserved hotel we were moved a block away to the Hamilton. When we checked in we were still somewhat perturbed that we had to move to a different hotel but this feeling was quickly dissipated by the greetings from the valet and front desk personnel. Knowing our situation the hotel gave us the wireless for free. We did not use it but it was a nice touch. This is an older hotel listed on the historic hotels in America but it was redone a few years ago and is really nice. The hotel is in a great location at the intersection of 14th and K St NW and is about a 15 minute walk to the White House and the tourist sights on the National mall. There are restaurants, a CVS and coffee shops in the immediate area and lots of other establishments if you are willing to walk a few blocks. The lobby is beautiful. Our room, on the second floor, was very small with no view (unless you count other rooms) but it was quiet and impeccably clean and beautifully decorated. The bed was really comfortable. My wife likes a softer bed and I like a harder bed and it met both of our preferences by having an extra-large pillow-top on top of a firm mattress. We slept great aided by a great adjustable shade/window covering that kept the room very dark. We did not eat at the 14K restaurant but it was pretty crowded on the night we were there. It has a nice outdoor seating area that with a view of a small local park. We did have a few drinks at the bar and really enjoyed speaking with the bartender.
Two things to be aware of: It is $45 a night to park your car with the valet and wireless is not free and since we did not need it I am not sure of the cost.

We would definitely stay here again but would ask for a bigger room.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had reservations here but was told that I could not be accommodated the first night of my stay so I was taken to another hotel for the night. That experience was horrible by the way, I checked in here the next day, my room was upgraded to the executive suites (beautiful views by the way), I was sent a wonderful fruit and cheese tray for the inconvenience the night before and after telling management what had happened to me at the other hotel I was given first aide and a voucher for the breakfast buffet the next day. The staff here did everything they could to make me feel comfortable and at ease and apologize for the inconvenience they put me through and I was very satisfied.

Room Tip: Executive 12th floor rooms have excellent rooms with tons of windows and views
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The only negative of my stay is that it was only a one night stay. The service, the atmosphere of the Hotel and the rooms were great value. The place is clean, impeccable, with very tasteful decoration. The rooms have great beds, excellent for resting after a whole day of walking and visiting landmarks and museums! The location of the Hotel is also a major plus , in the center of all the main places of interest, easy to walk everywhere and easy access. the white house is at walking distance and so are the Ford Theater and Petersen House, the Lincoln monument and the Washington monument. We actually took that route and walked our way back to the Smithsonian Castle. If you like walking, you will enjoy this Hotel and its location! Great finding in Washington DC!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family