“All the Right Stuff”

Ranked #62 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Seattle, Washington
“All the Right Stuff”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I spent 4 nights for a business trip this past week.
The location is convenient to the McPherson Square Metro stop, super easy to get there from Reagan National Airport.
There are restaurants and other stores within easy walking distance. I walked to Whole Foods for supplies a couple of times and the mini fridge in my room made for easy breakfasts as I had early start times each morning.
I used the fitness center several times, the equipment is new and in good condition.
My room was on the 12th floor, no view (a next door office building), but it was spotless, bathroom included. I had an executive room, so I think they're a bit larger than a standard room, with a small couch and desk and chair.
The Keurig in my room was appreciated, but the Green Mountain Coffee brand on offer is awful.
Housekeeping did a great job in my room, and I happily returned to a spotless room every afternoon.
I needed wi-fi for work, and the signal was strong with only one hitch with connecting on my second day.
Elevators are slow and on the small side, but I kept that in mind and always gave myself a bit of extra time when leaving. It's a fair trade for having an older building with some character.
As I'm a Priority Club member they didn't bat an eye when I asked for a late (2 PM) check out on Wednesday.
Overall, definitely a keeper if I return to D.C. and need to be on the orange or blue line.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DumbDog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Plains, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My hubby and I decided to head to DC for a short babymoon before our first child arrives in November. The Hamilton aloud us to check in about an hour early which was great. The room was large, clean and spacious. Bathroom also gets two thumbs up. It was centrally located, only 1 block from the Metro.

The only complaint was the elevators from the lobby up took some extra time.

Also the hotel didn't do anything to recognize our babymoon...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and found the location near the White House, and near a metro station to be good. Our rooms were also very good. We had 2 rooms and were given connecting rooms without having to ask. The beds were very comfy, and we were not disturbed by any other guests.
We were on the included breakfast rate, and the breakfast was lovely.
Our only problem with the hotel was when we had an evening meal in the restaurant. The service was simply appalling - I cannot really understand why, but it is the only time during our US trip that we left no tip at all. It simply was that bad! Our waitress was unable to communicate, our main course arrived while we were still eating our starters. Drinks and chips failed to arrive etc. It was the worst meal we had in the US.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kay W
New Jersey
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Selected the Hamilton for a 3night/2 day business trip because it was in close proximity to our DC office and rated well on TA. Everyone in our group was pleased with the accommodations. The staff was professional, efficient and unobtrusive during a busy week that included the U.S.-African Leaders Summit. The decor is well done in this historic building. I stayed on the 11th floor in an inside room with no street noise. Housekeeping was particularly helpful with special requests. For a small $ upgrade at the time of booking, additional amenities in the room included a yoga mat, umbrella, and bath salts. The location is great for tourists visiting DC. and within walking distance to a number of attractions. As I find at many of the hotels I stay in, there were some items that required maintenance for which management appreciated being informed. Overall, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor, inside rooms are quieter. If you are an IHG rewards club member, you'll get free W...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel. It is extremely clean and elegant. We had booked - and paid for- a room for 3 people, but they did not put enough towels in the bathroom, and only 2 coffee mugs and 2 glasses. I asked at the front desk and almost immediately had extra towels brought to the room, but never got a third mug, even after I asked the front desk a second time. It is a small thing, but just enough to ruin your morning coffee. I don't give the hotel 5 stars for that reason.
Although centrally located, it should be noted that it is in front of a park full of homeless people, and at an intersection that is very noisy (emergency vehicles and drivers honking), even in the middle of the night.
The restaurant (14K) is o.k.; there are better and not as expensive restaurants nearby.
The cab fare from Dulles Airport was about 70$.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Geanne_54
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Geanne_54,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It is really nice to know that you noticed the cleanliness of our property and found it elegant. On the other hand, please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects pf your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Virginia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We spent one night at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza in early Aug. We do not live that far away in Northern Virginia but it was our anniversary so we attended a play, had a great dinner in the area and spent the night in the city for the occasion. This was not the hotel we originally reserved but due to an overbooking at our reserved hotel we were moved a block away to the Hamilton. When we checked in we were still somewhat perturbed that we had to move to a different hotel but this feeling was quickly dissipated by the greetings from the valet and front desk personnel. Knowing our situation the hotel gave us the wireless for free. We did not use it but it was a nice touch. This is an older hotel listed on the historic hotels in America but it was redone a few years ago and is really nice. The hotel is in a great location at the intersection of 14th and K St NW and is about a 15 minute walk to the White House and the tourist sights on the National mall. There are restaurants, a CVS and coffee shops in the immediate area and lots of other establishments if you are willing to walk a few blocks. The lobby is beautiful. Our room, on the second floor, was very small with no view (unless you count other rooms) but it was quiet and impeccably clean and beautifully decorated. The bed was really comfortable. My wife likes a softer bed and I like a harder bed and it met both of our preferences by having an extra-large pillow-top on top of a firm mattress. We slept great aided by a great adjustable shade/window covering that kept the room very dark. We did not eat at the 14K restaurant but it was pretty crowded on the night we were there. It has a nice outdoor seating area that with a view of a small local park. We did have a few drinks at the bar and really enjoyed speaking with the bartender.
Two things to be aware of: It is $45 a night to park your car with the valet and wireless is not free and since we did not need it I am not sure of the cost.

We would definitely stay here again but would ask for a bigger room.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had reservations here but was told that I could not be accommodated the first night of my stay so I was taken to another hotel for the night. That experience was horrible by the way, I checked in here the next day, my room was upgraded to the executive suites (beautiful views by the way), I was sent a wonderful fruit and cheese tray for the inconvenience the night before and after telling management what had happened to me at the other hotel I was given first aide and a voucher for the breakfast buffet the next day. The staff here did everything they could to make me feel comfortable and at ease and apologize for the inconvenience they put me through and I was very satisfied.

Room Tip: Executive 12th floor rooms have excellent rooms with tons of windows and views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business