“Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel”

Hamilton Hotel Washington DC
Ranked #57 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Excellent hotel. Great food in 14K restaurant. Very central and only 1 block from McPherson Metro Station. Very friendly and helpful staff. Very safe feeling around this hotel. Lovely park across the road. Only drawback was all the sirens during the night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank margaretpat
Write a ReviewReviews (2,322)

Reviewed 30 August 2014

When you enter the beautiful lobby of this historic hotel, you get a really good feeling. This hotel has great location, it is pretty close to National Mall & Museums. The hotel is clean and quite. The rooms are small but well provisioned. The wifi is paid and they charge you per device-wise, which is pretty painful in today's era. Its is nice hotel to stay, if you want to see Washington's attractions.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I stayed at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza in June. The hotel was beautiful. I loved the historic details inside and out. The Hamilton is in a great location to walk to the White House or the Mall or reach a close-by Metro stop. The lobby was elegant and finely appointed. The hotel room was high quality, quiet, cool, and comfortable. I recommend this hotel for a visit to Washington, DC.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Mamia00, Manager at Hamilton Hotel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear CollinsFactor,
Thank you for your Five Star review. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay . I am glad that you have an enjoyable memory of your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the Hamilton Hotel Washington, DC for many more visits and memories!!

Hotel Management

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Really nice hotel close to the National Mall (about 15 min walk). And really close to the metro. Comfortable rooms and nice staff. There also was Free Wifi available but only after you asked the hotel staff and signed up for the IHS Group.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I want to start out by saying we did enjoy our time here. This hotel is in a great location and within walking distance to the White House and other attractions, as well as restaurants and the blue line. However there were a few problems.

1. We were told that if we filled out the form for their frequent visitors program we would get free wifi. We filled out the form and after repeated attempts, as well as a phone call for help, we gave up because we could never manage to connect.

2. We were told on booking that our room would have a king bed and sofabed for our daughter. There was no sofabed and the sofa that was there was insufficient for sleeping. This would have been a serious problem had my daughter not lived in DC. She ended up going back home in the evenings after sightseeing with us all day but I would have rather that she stay with us to maximize our time together during our visit. I would have asked for a roll away bed but the room was far too small to accommodate that.

3. We were also charged for 3 days of valet parking, which is $45 a day. We had a car but parked it at our daughters apartment to avoid those charges, which we made all too clear on arrival. They removed the charges when this was pointed out. In addition, our bar bill was incorrect by a $100 or so, I did not keep my receipts so I could not depute those charges. As often as we travel I had not run into having to go over my bill with a fine tooth comb before. I will not be so naïve next time.

4. We had the breakfast buffet which consisted of scrambled eggs, I think powdered, bacon, sausage, grits, cereals, yogurt, typical fare but limited. We were shocked to find our bill, with tip was $60. I didn't ask the price because I expected it to be around $15 or so based on my own experience traveling and on the buffet itself, clearly my fault. I realize this is DC but that was, in my opinion, ridiculous for a mediocre breakfast. There is a creparie across the street that is supposedly good and The Corner Bakery Café is a couple blocks away and its good.

5. If having cocktails in the bar, the restroom is down a flight of stairs and down the hall in the conference area. Not very convenient.

6. On the day we were leaving, my daughter brought our car and we asked to valet for an hour to grab some breakfast before leaving town. When we got back, the car was in the same place we left it and they charged us $18 for less than an hour. Again, I know this is DC, but this is not my first rodeo. Given the issues that we had already had, I think it would have been a gracious, easy and inexpensive (for them) gesture to allow that hour at no charge as an act of good faith to secure our business in the future. Especially in light of the fact we parked it there and no valet had even touched the car. It would have gone a long way with me because I know at what a premium parking is in DC. Being nickeled and dimed in this manner was kind of a turn off. I want to say again, we are experienced travelers that don't mind spending money, whatever the cost, for the right experience but this felt borderline tacky.

On the plus side, Azeb in the bar was fantastic, probably the best service we had anywhere while there. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms, although ours was very small was clean and nicely appointed.

Would we stay there again? Probably not, I was very happy that we stayed on a discounted rate. Had we stayed here at the normal rates I would be far more disappointed.

Just a tip, if you drive in, I would research to find a public parking garage that is reasonable for tourists and take public transportation. I have since been told there are several. Get your metro cards at the nearest CVS, if you wait to get them at a metro station you will get the paper type that tourists normally get and the metro rides are far more expensive which, if nothing else, you will have to reload them often which is inconvenient. Driving here is a nightmare and time consuming. If you want to use cabs, download the Lyft app to your smart phone. The drivers are rigorously checked out and are normally young professionals who are just justifying having a car in the city. Their cars are expected to be no earlier than a 2005 model and are impeccably clean. We even got a ride in a brand new Tesla which was very cool. The drivers are very nice and polite which if you have had any experience with DC taxi cab drivers you would know is rare. In addition, you rate them after each ride and they you so it promotes respectful behavior on both sides. They are also much much more inexpensive than a regular taxi and a FAR better experience. Don't forget to fist bump your driver when you get in as there is a whole Lyft culture that expects it. Also, they are never more than 10 minutes away. Uber is another option as well.

All in all we had a good time there and again, the location of the hotel is excellent but I would probably stay somewhere else with comparable prices in the same area and there are many.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank brownfalcon

Dear brownfalcon

Thank you for your recent feedback. I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies for the issues you had during your stay with us.Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further as I would welcome the opportunity to reach out to you for a phone conversation at your convenience. I look forward to hearing from you

Hotel Management

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza for 2 nights a couple weeks ago when I was in town for a job interview. Could not have been taken care of any better!

I had originally booked a standard Queen room on points and found out upon arrival that I had been upgraded to a King room on the Executive top floor. The room was very well-appointed, the bathroom large and very inviting, and the bed super comfortable.

The only downside was that the room seemed be situated right below an A/C unit or generator on the roof and, as a result, the room was filled with an unpleasant, low-pitched droning sound. My flight had gotten in late, and my interview was the next morning, so I was really hoping to get some quality sleep the night before, but unfortunately the noise coupled with slight jet lag prevented that. I considered asking for a room change, but it was very late and I was too tired to move to another room.

I mentioned my troubles to Taraji(?) at the front desk the next day, and she quickly apologized and asked it would be all right to move me to a junior suite a few floors down. Needless to say, I quickly accepted! The suite was spacious and quiet, and I didn't mind at all that that it faced another building. For those looking for complete privacy, I did find that the blinds by the desk did not closed all the way (approx. 3/4), but closing the curtains quickly solved this problem.

The hotel also came through when I requested a late check-out. I had some early afternoon appointments and my flight out of DCA didn't leave till 5, so I was hoping for a 3pm check-out. I learned that 2pm is the standard late check-out for IHG members (signing up is free!), and I was initially told over the phone that they could not accommodate a later check-out. I was fine with that, but thought I would check with the front desk one more time on my out, just in case. Petra(?) was very kind and moved some things around so that I could have my 3pm check-out after all!

Checking out was a breeze (bill slipped under my door the night before) and there were no stray charges to my credit card afterward, which can sometimes happen unfortunately.

I didn't eat at 14K, the hotel's bar and restaurant, during this stay, though I have been in the past for happy hour, which was very good. The Starbucks on the main floor was a life-saver for quick and easy breakfast. The internet connection was strong throughout my stay. Printing was available on the ground floor.

Overall, a great stay, with a couple bumps which were handled very well. Would not hesitate to stay here again!

Room Tip: Avoid room 1430 (or those nearby) if you are sensitive to noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ted S
Mamia00, Manager at Hamilton Hotel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Ted,
Thank you so much for staying at The Hamilton Hotel , Washington DC; and for sharing your experiences with the Trip Advisor community. It was a pleasure having you with us as our guests and we would be honored to be at your service once again.

Thank you again and we will look forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Operations Management

Reviewed 23 August 2014

My wife and I decided for our 6th year anniversary we would take a trip to our national Capitol to view the sites we always see on television. Our choice for the Hamilton was the best choice we could've made as our trip was wonderful and return worthy! We arrived and were greeted by the valet service out front. Our car was easily accessible during our stay. Although we could've parked it ourselves we said why not take advantage of the services the hotel offers. Every single member of the front desk to the valet to the restaurant personnel was as friendly and courteous as ever. We needed some information for our visit of attractions and the concierge desk recommended a double decker bus tour of the city which we can hop on and hop off throughout the day. It was a wonderful suggestion and we appreciated the insight the hotel provided. Our room was on the 10th floor with the park view. Although the park consisted a lot of homeless people, we only saw them in the morning when we went down for the included breakfast buffet. From our room we had a partial view of the Washington memorial and the skyline of the DC area was very romantic. We have stayed in many hotels in other areas with similar pitches of closeness, but the proximity of the attractions to this hotel was only a 2 block walk from the White House and many other attractions. This was a wonderful trip and we plan on visiting here every year as the wealth of information in the DC area is overwhelming.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jonathan C

Dear Jonathan,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us! It is great to read how much you enjoyed our hotel, including the service demonstrated by our team. I have already shared your comments with our team, who are most appreciative. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Operations Management