“1900's Brothel Feel,” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #130 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Metairie
“1900's Brothel Feel,”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

To begin our adventure: We received a two day trip to Washington DC from Spirit Incentives after a presentation for a product. The vacation was kind of hard to book and you had to travel from Sun. to Wed. only. We decided to pay to stay an extra day. I called Spirit Incentives to make arrangements to add a day. The hotel they were going to put us up in was not actually in downtown Washington. Upon finding that out I asked for an upgrade which cost $40 extra a day. The last night would be 126.00. So after paying 456.00 (don't forget the traveling fees) we were going to be on our way with an upgraded room. When the name of the hotel was emailed to me I looked it up on TripAdvisor. I then was semi-prepared for our trip. We flew US Airways Express. Small planes. No peanuts and $25 dollars a bag.
Our District Experience: Upon being dropped off at the hotel, we realized that we were in a gentrified part of town. There is a WholeFoods and several taverns and restaurants around the corner. It has an art deco crowd, many young single people. That is the plus. The hotel was another story.
As we walked into the hotel, the lobby was small and the hotel had an odd smell. I felt like we were back in time and these rooms were rented to sleazy politicians in the early 1900's where their secrets could be kept quiet. We did get a room early as our flight arrived in at 9:30 AM. The desk manager showed me a room that we could get at that time. (Standard room has one double bed) The room consisted of one double bed. There were three feet on each side. No nightstands. There were about 5 feet of space in front of the bed. I felt I had no choice so we told him, "Okay". When we got back to the desk he looked again and said he had a better room in the BASEMENT. He told us the room was larger and we would be happy there. (Sigh, some comfort) So we took the small elevator to the basement. The ceiling was low and the hallway smelled of massive cleaning fluids. As we got in the room I knew that we were up for an adventure. It was about 4 square feet larger. No phone. The bed was low to the ground with a boxspring mattress that had a pad over it. I then checked immediately for bed bugs. The floor was uneven, the bathroom small and the air condition did not work. (At the time we did not realize and left the room for a tour) When we returned we had to spend the first night with the small window open. Being summer it did not help and the window was adjacent to an alley. I finally closed it as I did not want anyone crawling in. (There are bums in the neighbor) The bed was uncomfortable and we did not sleep well.
The next morning: Remember this is a B&B. The breakfast included the following: coffee, orange juice, milk, cheerios, bread, cream cheese, and maybe croissants if you are there early. You can cook yourself a waffle. The End. As my husband and I looked there was nowhere to sit in the lobby. They have not tables. We brought our breakfast back to our room to sweat somemore until we left for the tour. Computers do not work well in the hotel and the cable on the TV is limited and goes out often. We also were the only Americans staying there. I heard many different languages, none in English.

Room Tip: Understand that pictures do more justice to rooms. Be wise.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeanne D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Duluth, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

This small hotel is located in a residential district near 14th St., a major N-S thoroughfare. It is about a mile N. of the White House and 1/2 mile E. of Dupont Circle-Embassy Row. The building is old, and it shows. My room had a window that must be propped open and two lights were out (reported, but not fixed.) There is a fan, no a/c. Wiring was primitive; everything gave an impression of old and worn. Desk staff is helpful. Suggested for a young couple on their first visit
to Washington.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Outsider33

Travellers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

I was absolutely disgusted with these hotel. I travelled all day from Houston to arrive at 7pm to be told there was a problem and I could not stay at the hotel due to a boiler problem. I was told they had booked me a comparable hotel but these was all the way out in Columbia heights. When I advised reception that that was very far from the office the response was you can get the metro in! Given I had already paid for the room in advance for it's location I certainly did not expect to be put in a hotel miles away. The reception refused to ring any hotels simply telling me they had already done so, but judging by their service I very much doubt it.

Given I was a lone female traveller I was very upset with the accommodation they moved me to. it was not a hotel, and no one was on a reception it was simply a guest house in a residential area. They did put me a taxi there but I arrived with no details and you needed a code to get in the door. With no one manning a reception I had to use my UK mobile to ring a US number posted on the door. The accommodation was scary and did not feel safe at all, it was just a room with locks that weren't secure in a house with people walking past at all hours to get to the kitchen next to my room.

There was also no breakfast included in the alternative hotel. Certainly NOT a comparable hotel.

This is my worst experience ever of a hotel and would actively encourage people not to stay here!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Fiona B
Reynolds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

I never mind budget hotels. But this was really not tolerable. Lobby and halls were nice. Room was soooo small and dirty. I didn't read about the bed bugs till I was on the way to hotel. I didn't find any but in checking for them (YUK). The bathroom was clean but a leak in the ceiling dripped on you while on the throne. We found a new hotel that night and left the next morning.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Pamela I
Ankara, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

Picked the hotel from Expedia based on location and price. Near but not close to most DC attractions (15-30 minute walk to most). Most disappointing thing was the small room -- about 2 feet wider and 5 feet longer than the bed. No sure if this is the standard room or I got it because I booked on Expedia. The price would have been good if a standard size room were included but a little pricey for what I got.

There was no storage space -- the bathroom had a clothes rack that could not be used when showering. There was a small table for the TV with drawers taken up by hotel literature -- it would have been better to have a more robust cabinet to hold the TV and some drawers for clothes.

No pool or fitness center. Nice breakfast.

Service was generally good and for the old facilities there, the baths were modern and clean.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
San Juan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

Upon checking booking.com and other hotel reservation websites, I found that the District Hotel to be the most conveniently located and most affordable hotel in the area. We got the Queen Queen room, which meant, it was the biggest room in the hotel and had two Queen sized beds with en suite bath. Although it is not the most posh, it is a hotel that is comfortable and convenient to get to. We were given free basic breakfast which we often took to our room since the lobby that apparently also serves as the dining area was often full of guests. Our room was regularly cleaned and tidied up while our bathroom was always refreshed with towels, tissue and soap. Can't complain, since we knew what to expect, thanks to the reviews we read here on Tripadvisor. The closest subway stations were McPherson Square and Dupont. About an 8 minute leisurely walk. The neighborhood is great and quiet. The next door hotel, Helix has a bar that caters to the young and upwardly mobile. The embassies and DC landmarks are a few blocks away. Although taking a taxi to the museums was affordable and convenient. For a cozy and charming stay in Washington DC, District Hotel was A-OK.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends