“Beware, bed bugs”

District Hotel Washington
Ranked #135 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 10 February 2009

I booked this hotel because it was near the office I needed to be at for a week long series of meetings. Upon arriving at the room I put down my bags and preceded to inspect the room. When I lifted up the mattress from the box spring, I saw a bed bug fall out and jump away. Based on an experience with bed bugs many years ago, I did not feel comfortable staying at this establishment. The desk clerk was very understanding and said there shouldn't be a problem getting a refund on my reservation. (It had been pre-paid on priceline and there was no manager on duty at the time.) The next day when I was contacted by a priceline representative, I was informed that the manager was only willing to refund me 4 out of the 5 days of my reservation, even though I had not spent a night at the hotel. I would avoid this hotel at all cost. (On a different note, the staff at the Holiday Inn down the block was extremely help in getting me a room for the night even though I had shown up without a reservation at 9 pm on a Sunday night.)

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank CO_traveler05
Districthotel, General Manager at District Hotel Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2010

At the District Hotel, we do our best to make sure that all our rooms are
clean and fit for sale. This includes conducting regular housekeeping
inspections, and professional preventive maintenance and extermination
services. We are constantly vigilant towards the comfort and satisfaction of
our guests and we greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

Management.

Reviewed 2 February 2009

I so badly did not want to write a bad review for this hotel. I loved the location and the people who worked there - and breakfast was excellent. They had just upgraded the sheets, which were great, and the new comforter is beautiful.

The hotel room was so horrible, uncomfortable, noisy, broken down...well we begged to leave (which they wouldn't let us) so we snuck out and then came back to check out. Aparently hotels.com would charge an early check out fee? I am not sure what the deal is, but we lived with my friend up the street, and then on our last day in town we walked down to the hotel (in freezing weather) and checked out. So silly. We didn't mind paying the whole stay - we just wanted to leave early without having them charge us more to leave early than we already spent!

I could list the complaints but we could hear every voice in the lobby, we had to leave one morning and our door wouldn't lock shut (someone without a staff uniform on was standing guard for us according to the receptionist), the work upstairs caused the ceiling tiles to fall in over our tub, and the shower had just barely enough pressure to rinse my long hair.

I will go back when someone tells me they have gutted and remodeled the place...

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2009

I should have paid more attention to other reviews, but the low price of this hotel caused me to ignore my better judgment. Unfortunately, we were exhausted after an overnight train ride and actually took a nap on the bed prior to inspecting the badly ventilated and unrenovated room. When we awoke, I noticed a recently sated bed bug crawling on my husband's jacket. We ripped back the comforter and found enough of the creatures to warrant our immediate departure.

Although the hotel did refund our money without too much hassle, this place seems to suffer from enough problems to warrant a thorough inspection by health officials. As an added bonus, the trash from breakfast was kept next to the check-in desk and a lively family of cockroaches were patrolling for goodies while we waited to check out. We always stay at inexpensive hotels and I can honestly say that our accommodations on mainland China were a thousand times better than The District. The photos are deceiving. Spend the extra money to stay somewhere else!

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank batsarentbugs
Districthotel, Manager at District Hotel Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2009

As the Manager for the District Hotel, I would like to sincerely apologize for the experience these guests had while staying with us. I would also like to point out that that specific room and ones adjacent and opposite that room were all placed out service for a thorough inspection and treatment, as is within our hotel policy. Unfortunately, any hotel or even exterminator will tell you that bedbugs are known to travel within the industry along with guest luggage and other items, this makes them nearly impossible to prevent. This is why the hotel industry has seen such a rise in cases within the last few years.
Please be assured that we are doing everything in our power to alleviate this problem, including contract linen cleaning services, frequent exterminator inspections and of course, procurement of bedbug resistant mattresses and covers.

Reviewed 26 October 2008

We arrived late night after long flight. Booked the hotel because of decent pictures and nice location. When we got into our room we did a quick check for Bed bugs and very quickly found a live one in the bed. We quickly went to the lobby and got another room. Did the same thing, could not find any bugs but it's hard to be absolutely sure. Also everything was shabby and the heater was broken. We will NEVER stay here again and advise anyone to stay away!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank JelONet

At the District Hotel, we do our best to make sure that all our rooms are
clean and fit for sale. This includes conducting regular housekeeping
inspections, and professional preventive maintenance and extermination
services. We are constantly vigilant towards the comfort and satisfaction of
our guests and we greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

Management.

Reviewed 10 October 2008

I just learned that they more than double-charged my credit card. What according to their rates was supposed to be two nights at $101 a night (which is what I signed for on my credit card) somehow ended up getting charged as $430. Believe me, it had nothing to do with any extra charges since we didn't even have a phone or bar in our crappy little room. These people are just crooks who think they can take advantage of travelers who will have a hard time going back to DC to get their money back. I am getting the charges reversed and will bring them to court.

The hotel staff seemed like crackheads, literally, and the place is a flophouse. DO NOT GO UNLESS YOU ENJOY HAVING YOUR ACCOUNT DRAINED BY CROOKS!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank solomongrundy
axcept, manager at District Hotel Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2008

I'm the manager at the District Hotel. I am sorry to hear that your card was charged twice. The District Hotel is not in the habit of charging people twice and we would like to think that we are not crooks who want to steal your money.
Please call me at the hotel at 202-232-7800 ext 601 so that we can track down this error and get you squared away.

Reviewed 25 September 2008

I would DEFINITELY recommend The District Hotel beacause:

(a) it's centrally located and convenient;
(b) the people are EXTREMELY nice and helpful;