“The worst hotel experience of my life!”

District Hotel Washington
Ranked #135 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I just can say: HORRIBLE! Moldy, humid,....explainable, cause there is no proper air condition...just those single advices in each room. But I can't understand how anybody can say this is ok for a stay. In summer it stinks because of the mildew ... I barely could stand to pass the unventilated hallways. The first room was sooo small only one person could stand next to the bed, almostimpossible to stand as 2 people in the room. the 2nd one had to stay on the bed or in the bathroom. The TV was broken, the air condition was a filthy device which was loud and from an electric point of view suspicious. Behind the dirty curtain was a real dirty and rotten window hidden. The bathroom had a former door to the hallway closed permanently with a disgusting looking insulating foam. We got transfered to another room, a little bit better, at least we had some more space and it wasn't that moldy, but still rotten furniture and windows.......
Furtunately we stayed in that hole of a hotel just for one night, but it was really expensive .... for that money I could have stayed in that nice Holiday Inn a few blocks further.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 April 2009

Stayed here two nights. Ended up on 4th floor after refusing to accept a postage stamp room on lower floor. Elevator was out of service, and apparently on a semi-permanent basis. Got no maid service despite being out of the room all day. No apparent fire exit from 4th floor other than stairway. Windows covered with heavy plastic panels, screwed in place. Breakfast okay, and front desk staff very helpful, but limited by crummy building. Schlepping heavy bags up and down from 4th floor not fun.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2009

If you do choose to stay in this hotel, do not stay in the front two rooms (101 or 102). These rooms are right at the entrance, essentially in the lobby. So you can hear everything that goes on there. I stayed in 102 for a night, and when I asked to move, the staff was helpful.

Still, the hotel isn't terrible. It's clean, although run-down. The rooms are not at all homogeneous. Some may be missing a coat rack, or an alarm clock, or a night stand. One room may be fairly large and quiet, while others are cramped.

Point is, you're taking a chance when you stay here. You may end up satisfied with your stay, or you may be appalled. The rooms ARE kept clean, though (no bugs, sticky carpets or whatever else you may have read), and the staff is helpful. If you end up with this hotel, check in early, and demand that you get a quiet, spacious room, and you'll have a reasonably pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2009

The size of the room was Ok.
Sometimes the smell was not the best, very poor cleaning.
The windows don't open, so you can't breath "fresh air".
Internet was expensive.
The location is not the best but we was in the half way to any place.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2009

This is not a good hotel. On the plus side, the room I had was decently clean (no bed bugs, as some reviews on a travel site have reported) and had wireless access, and they provided a good breakfast. The price is very reasonable considering its proximity to downtown D.C.

However, the negatives greatly outweigh the above features. One was the noise - the walls are paper-thin, and some rooms connect to others with doors, which also permit a lot of sound to travel. I was put into a room on the same level as the lobby (the elevator was broken, and I had a heavy suitcase), and I could hear everything that was spoken around the front desk. Not only that, but then I began hearing banging and whooping next door - somebody (really, somebodies) was having a lot more fun than I was. At least they wanted to be awake. After they finally settled down, then someone started throwing themselves against the front entrance, I guess because the door wouldn't open. (I was not about to leave the safety of my room to investigate.) I noticed someone working on the front door the next day.

The next evening, as I was working on my laptop on my bed, I heard someone come up to my door, insert their card key, and...my door opened! What the hell? It was a confused guest who immediately apologized and left, but why were they able to open my door? I put on the deadbolt, but when I complained to the front desk the next day, they denied that this could have happened, even though I witnessed this.

This is not a good hotel. I did not experience any property theft, but you will see reviews on other sites that report that this has happened at the District Hotel, and with rooms being able to be opened with multiple keys, I can tell you that there is definitely a risk. The only reason I stayed here is because I was looking for a last-minute room in the area on Hotwire - let me warn you, if the going rate for everything else is $300 per night and there is a two-star option on Hotwire for $140/night, do yourself a favor and pay for the more expensive room or go look on Craigslist - you are almost certain to do better than the District Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Qriuser
Reviewed 16 March 2009

I booked this hotel despite some of the bad reviews. I figured that people that had a bad experience or were expecting more are more likely to write a review but there must be people who had an adequate stay that didn't bother.
Location:
it is very easy to get around DC from this hotel. Very close to the metro but there is plenty to do within walking distrance. Great shops and restaurants right around the corner.
Room:
The room was small clean and comfortable. It did the job. I did not have any bug issues. This place is not in perfect condition and could use further upgrades but they cleaned it up. If you intend to spend most of you time in your room then you may want to stay someplace else. IFyou are using it a homebase it is perfectly fine.
Staff:
the staff was very helpful. We arrived a bit early and were let in our room well before check in time.
Breakfast:
I could not eat the breakfast either day because I didn't go down until 9am. If you want food you will have to ateast go earlier than that.
Coffee was available all day- but thats it.
Price:
you can't be the price- i paid about 85 a night through priceline. Given the price you can't beat this place.

They have an appealing lobby- hopefully that will begin to upgrade each room the way the lobby is done

Suggestion to the District hotel. Please put full lenghth mirrors somewhere in the room- i kept having to stand on the bed to get a look.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2009

The building dates to the 1920s and thus the rooms are small, but the fixtures have been updated, the bedding was new, the tv and a/c worked fine, and I only paid $50 through Priceline in a city where anything under $100 - or even $200 - is hard to find. Big thick towels and nice soaps and shampoos, plenty of pressure in the shower. The only big thing the room lacked was a closet, or even a rack to hang clothes on, I ended up hanging my business attire from the towel rack in the bathroom. I was never able to get the wifi to work on the 4th floor but in the lobby it was fine. Breakfast was do-it-yourself waffles, cereal, pastries, juice. Coffee in lobby 24 hours, staff very friendly and helpful. Elevator was out of order so I had to schlepp my bags to the 4th floor, but hopefully that's temporary. They seem to host a lot of college-age guests and international travelers, so the atmosphere at breakfast was sort of like a youth hostel. (Made me feel 30 years younger.) The location is wonderful, about a 15 minute walk from your choice of several metro stations, and the neighborhood felt very safe for this solo woman traveler. This is not the place if you plan to spend a lot of time in your room, but why would you do that in such a great city?

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business