“Eldon stay”

Ranked #110 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington D.c.
“Eldon stay”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

If you want practical and central, the Eldon is perfect. I like having my own space e.g. to prepare food rather than a hotel, this ticked all the boxes. Only downside was the very noisy building works going on next door which woke me up each morning (incl. weekends). If staying in near future I'd recommend asking for a room on other side of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
New Market, Maryland
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed for one night as we went to a function in Washington at a location a few blocks away. It is very nice. Beautiful marble floors, a huge suite with a kitchen although we didn't use it. The bed was really comfortable. It is very clean. You park your car in the adjacent parking lot. The staff was very courteous. It was a very pleasant stay and wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dorian D
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Pros: Rooms are very nice. Our room was basically a luxury 1 bedroom apartment complete with kitchen (oven, microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher, etc.). It's 1 block away from Mt. Vernon metro stop.

Cons: Beware of extra charges. $6 for a continental breakfast that has no fruit, yogurt, or meat. It's basically a pastry selection (if you bought pastries at your corner store). $30 for parking overnight, $40 if you want to go in and out. Also if you're looking to go to any of the national museums, the Mall is about 10 blocks away.

Our bad experience: One of the smoke alarms had a dying battery and started beeping at 2am. When we told the front desk in the morning, they told me that I should have alerted them immediately making it seem it was my fault. If they just apologized and said they'll take care of it, I would have taken it in stride.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank cuse_man2014
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This hotel was a little difficult to find but was worth the effort, massive suite... we had just come from New York... with a full kitchen and lounge very clean and luxurious. We had a comfortable quiet night and there was good value private parking also available. The sights of Washington where walkable from the hotel but pack comfortable shoes as its a good walk to see it all.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Lawrence, New York
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is a small boutique hotel that we actually stumbled upon when attending a convention several years ago. We had a one bedroom which included a full kitchen with stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave. The rooms were well appointed with a flat screen TV in the living room. The bed was comfortable although the pillows were pretty hard. Next year I am going to bring my own pillow! We had a problem getting hot water for our showers for 2 days but the problem was attended to. There is no restaurant in the hotel but there are plenty nearby. We have already booked the hotel for next year's conference.

Room Tip: I think any room in this hotel will be fine.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
HIghland Park, Il
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This was our 3rd year that we elected to stay at the Eldon while attending a conference at the convention. The hotel is quiet, rooms are comfortable suites but they need to do some remodeling if they want to compete with the new Marriott that is right across the street. Firstly we were not warmly greeted, the woman at the desk was rather nasty and came across like we were bothering her when we checked in. The other employees,especially the manager, were very nice so we don't want to say the entire staff was that way. We were told last year that there would be a brand new work-out room when we returned in 2014, and each bedroom would have a TV, (sitting room has a TV but not sleeping room),not true for either. The first 2 mornings (of the 3 we stayed there), there was no hot water! Though we were compensated on our bill, we paid a lot of money to stay in a hotel with luke warm showers. There is a breakfast room that offers free coffee but bagels, cereal and fruit come with a charge. Truthfully we want to give the hotel another chance next March because it is right down the block from Convention Center but for $300.00 per night, I suggest they retrain some of their staff, provide complimentary continental breakfast, put TV's in the bedroom and reconsider the workout facility. DC has many hotels and if these improvements are not made, we may look around for next year. Teri 5450

Room Tip: There is only 1 elevator, 7 floors, we were told we had no hot water because we were on a higher flo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Teri5450
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Go elsewhere! All interactions with front desk were tense and unnecessarily abrasive (except for one employee who worked the desk during the day who took the time to look at me in the face, greet me and smile). All of the other desk folks were put off by my requests/ concerns, were unhelpful and clearly did not want to be dealing with a guy in a camo hat. One guy, night desk stared me down in the way we all know but can't comment on (I'm Caucasian) simply because I complained that they charged me for parking for my entire stay before my stay was done. I parked elsewhere and STILL HAVE NOT BEEN REFUNDED. Additionally, when these folks tell you they need a card # for incidentals, they fail to tell you they are going to hit your card for 150$. I do not make or have much money, I was in town because a relative had emergency heart surgery at a nearby hospital, and could have very easily been stranded without food or gas. When I called the morning after my first night there (when I saw the charges for incidentals and "advance" parking), the girl I spoke with went through the whole "ignorance" routine- this was a sad and miserable conversation with zero results. She said verbatim "we will refund these charges immediately- she did not do this at all. After this call I had an uneasy feeling about their employees accessing my room even though I hung the do not disturb sign. I got back late that night to find with 100% certainty that they had gone in the room and had disturbed personal belongings- nothing was missing, but I believe that's irrelevant. Parking prices were ridiculous at the hotel- approx 35$ per night and the continental breakfast which was comparable to a days inn cost 6$. Lastly: unsafe place to be at night

Nice rooms, but ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH IT.

I hope that the "race police" will not scrub this review because of my feedback. If these things were not true I wouldn't dare say them.

• Stayed January 2014