“Eldon--a Diamond in the rough!”

The Eldon Luxury Suites
Ranked #110 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington, DC Area
“Eldon--a Diamond in the rough!”
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Stayed at the Eldon for one night on business. As most reviewers have noted, the Eldon is near the convention center and in an area "in transition." Take heed--the boarded-up properties are actually owned by various hotel chains--not dilapidated public safety risks! The Eldon (a former condo bldg) just set up shop there first. In the day you're fine--but definitely should look into getting a cab to the hotel in the evening.

Now on to the actual stay...
The first thing I noticed was how nice the staff was to me. Friendly and speedy check-in. I had a freedom queen room on the 5th floor. The room was amazing--definitely reminiscent of a high class condo. Spacious and modern--with an open kitchen layout and comfy sofa and flat screen in the living room. The bed was extremely comfortable. The room had a walk -in closet with plenty of space. The shower was fantastic from the creative shower head design to the water pressure! High-end toiletries were a plus. The workout room on the ninth floor was really clean but small--only a few cardio machines but no free weights or water cooler. The free breakfast was okay--just cereals, pastries, juices, and a coffee maker with various options.
All in all a good stay. If you're going to a convention center conference or find a good deal at this hotel--it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 October 2010

I went to a whim for my birthday and enjoyed the stay. There was TONS of space, though there were only two of us. It would've fit 10 ppl... except for the lack of beds... but there is a ton of space to walk around and have your things in your own corner. The full kitchen was nice if we would've stayed longer and the garden tub was great! It doesn't LOOK nice from the outside and you wouldn't think so from the location, but it's conveniently close to a cvs and the metro. No complaints!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2010

The hotel is nice, but its location and other features made it very Unsuitable for business travel or for anyone who is wary of being robbed by a crack head on the way home from dinner.

Here are the things I liked.
- Good sized rooms (suites)
- Direct Tv in the rooms
- Nice quality bathroom and room interiors

Unfortunately the bad FAR overshadowed the good at this hotel. Here is what I did not like
- The Location is on a basically abandoned street next to boarded up buildings encircled by barbed wire fences. I was wary of going out for dinner when it was dark out.
- The free breakfast was not very good. Hampton Inns have better selection. They didnt even have yogurt!
- The TV remote's volume buttons didnt work, and the hotel would not replace the remote
- NO TV IN THE BEDROOM OF THE SUITE
- The Wirlesss internet did NOT work
- No one from the hotel offered to help me with my big roller bags up or down the stairs at the entrance both when I arrived and when I left
- If you are there for work plan to leave early, becuase no cabs go by. I asked about calling a cab for me, and the guy at the desk told me it would take 25 minutes, and didnt even offer to try and flag one down for me. I had to walk 10 minutes to get to an area where cabs go by.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Dwmoskowitz
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Although the rooms are a little more challenging to share than the standard two queen room at other hotels (there is one queen and a sleeper), the full kitchen, luxury bath and beautiful decor make it worth a little wrestling over who gets the bedroom. I felt more like I'd rented an apartment in DC for the week than just staying in another hotel. The continental breakfast was pretty average, but the full size coffee maker in the room made it so that I really didn't even need to go down there.

Location - within a short walk of the Convention Center and the Mount Vernon Sq. Metro - was perfect. A few derelict buildings still remain on the block, but evidently it's all slated for development into a fancy new hotel next door to this quaint one.

I love it!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 September 2010

My husband booked this hotel based on good reviews for our trip to DC for his triathalon. Reviews and pictures appeared nice enough online, and the rate we found was great. Seemed reasonable and comfortable for 3 people for a weekend, my husband, myself and our female friend. Upon arriving we were told "your room is in the basement, it has a great patio...". Now mind you, other reviewers have mentioned the boarded up surrounding buildings and run down area. Being 2 females, ages 28 and 32, we did not feel safe in the basement as there were huge windows and doors to the outside. What we thought was a 2 bedroom suite, was a 1 bedroom with a pull out sofa, in the living room, directly in front of the doors to the outside patio which was merely surrounded by a fence.
I went upstairs to discuss the situation with the front desk, describing that as 2 females in this room, we did not feel safe in the basement with such large doors to the outside. The response I received was, "I assure you maam, it is very safe." Really? He offered no room for negotiation when I asked if we could be moved to another room. "No maam, the rates you were given are for these particular rooms, the rooms upstairs begin at $70 more a night. We have availability if you are interested". I was not pleased and felt as though we had completely been taken advantage of. After making me cry, I asked if I could cancel my reservation entirely. "yes, maam, but it will still charge you for one night".
After storming off, he offered my husband a room upstairs for $30 more a night. He should have done this from the beginning as that would have seemed reasonable. There is no reason I should be made to cry, nor feel unsafe.

Also, we arrived early before our room was ready. We parked in the lot and the man at the desk informed us someone else would help us with our bags. Now I was just assuming they would bring a cart, he would load our bags and take them inside in return for a nice tip. Not so much. He "helped us" by piling all of our arms with bags and having us carry all of our things (2 females and 1 male) into the hotel. He placed our things in the "closet" which we assumed would be locked behind him. When we came back later, it turns out our bags had been placed in a public stairwell with no lock whatsoever. This is not what I expect out of a luxury suite....

Lastly, the night before the triathalon, my husband called the desk asking that arrangements be made for a cab first thing in the morning. He was assured it would be handled. You guessed it, no cab. He had to scramble outside in the run down neighborhood to hail his own cab at 5:45am

I for one expected much more out of somewhere deemed a luxury suite. I will not return to this hotel, nor would I recommend it to others. I was highly displased with the lack of customer service.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OSUMel2004
Budapest
Reviewed 30 August 2010

This is not really a hotel but a bunch of suites in a nice building. Anyhow the whole thing is very nice, the suites are big (you have a whole apartment) and they are equiped with everything you need.

The supermarket is only 2 blocks away, the sights are max. 15-20 by foot.

The staff is nice although sometimes they have difficulties with looking up the reservations :)

Anyhow, if you look for a nice and reasonalble place to stay, stay here in DC.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
wisconsin
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Hotel itself is nice - having a separate bedroom and a full kitchen is a perk when traveling with another person. The bathroom was great - large shower and water was always hot and kitchen was fully stocked including diswasher. Because of all the marble floors, you could hear people in the hallway very clearly, although for the most part this was not a problem. The Safeway and CVS are close making grocery shopping very easy. The proximity to the subway is also a plus. There were not many restaurants nearby, so that is a negative if you like to eat close to where you are staying. There are as noted in previous reviews, boarded up buildings all around, but we did not feel unsafe at any time.

Check-in and checking out were easy and gracious processes, however if anything is needed in the evening, there was only one person to do check-in, park cars, answer questions and answer the phone. There was a problem with the sheets on my bed and it took 45 min to respond, then had to make my own bed - no housekeeping staff on at night. There was no concierge service - if you needed tickets for something, you had to get them yourself. Did not take advantage of the breakfast, so can't comment.

• Stayed August 2010