“Location was ok but hotel was not so great”

Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol
Ranked #114 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I will give you the good points of this hotel .. The location was ok about a 25 min walk to the main sights, however the metro station was just behind the hotel giving easy access to my places and the prices for tickets were great to..
Now the bad points we arrived in washing after an 8 hour flight to gave to stand in border security for 2 long hours ( the longest I have ever waited to enter the us and I've been 6 times ) we for a taxi to out hotel which cost $100 as it was nearly an hour away
We checked in ok I had booked a double guest room which showed on their web site consisted of 2 queens bed ..
We got to our room to find we were right behind the metro station and the trains were rearly loud, 1 bed and a small 2 seater couch.. My teenage kids 17 and 14 were horrified so I sent my husband to complain and the reception man told us the sofA pulled out and that was what I had booked so I showed him my documentation and he then said a double room can also mean a pull out sofa ?? I told him I had 2 teenagers that would not fit on the tiny sofa but he had no other double rooms till a few days later .. Tired and nearly in tears I went to out room and my hubby went down again and came back with a new key.. They moved us away from the trains but still only one bed
Even the maid said to us a few days later that she was surprised that we were not in a double bedded room !!
Food is expensive in the hotel however next to it is a fantastic supermarket were we got out drinks from
This holiday and hotel was booked through BA AND I WAS SURPRISED it was not as good as ba normally have on their website.. Also we had to wAit 20 mins for clean linen as the sheets were stained and dirty..
But Washington, D.C. Itself was every bit as amazing as I had expected loved the sights and would go back again but stay at a different hotel !

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Janet_M611
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for the time and effort it took to write this review. I am the new General Manager at the hotel and I certainly take these comments seriously. I understand very well how badly a long flight, customs and taxi drive can feel. I am so sorry that the room you were assigned was not where you expected and apparently the incorrect room type. The matter of the noise is very unfortunate and I wish that you and your family were not inconvenienced by this.

I will work with the front desk to discuss ways to better assist families with older children that need more space. We have recognized the need for improved linen and we replaced all linen in the hotel this week - a major project but worthwhile for sure.

Please feel free to call me at the hotel at 202-898-4000 if you would like to discuss other details of your stay.

Thank you for visiting our city and staying with Marriott

Reviewed 13 April 2014

This new hotel is next to a Metro station and that was perfect for us. The area is full of new construction so that eventually there will be much in the area. Also, Union Station is within walking distance in good weather. We will stay there again. We had adjoining rooms and enjoyed the sounds of the trains nearby. If you are picky about this, you might not be as happy, but the sound was pleasant for us.

Neasia and Dorian at the main desk were professional, pleasant and always smiling. The front door group were spectacular in speed, efficiency and smiles. I am sorry I didn't get their names. The entire group of "red coats" deserve praise.

Room Tip: Maybe away from the tracks, but I will request a room on the back near the trains!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
KramerZ89, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

We here at the Courtyard US Captiol are thrilled to hear about your stay with us. Our staff is committed to providing the highest level of service from the moment you arrive until you leave the property. It is wonderful to hear that our stay was able to make your visit to Wasshington DC much more memerable. Your optimism on the constuction is 100% accurate. This area has the potenial to become so much and we look forward to your future stay!

Courtyard US Capitol Leadership Team

Reviewed 12 April 2014

DC is just expensive, no getting around it. I would normally expect a bigger room, more charm, better amenities and a nicer neighborhood from a hotel costing over $250 a night. However, in the end, it did meet my basic needs as a business traveler. The convenience of the location just cannot be beat: you practically roll out of bed directly onto the train. The staff were friendly, the bed was comfortable: a little on the firm side, and I especially appreciate the fact that they use actual fitted bottom sheets. Bathroom scores extra points from this tall traveler because the shower is huge and the head positioned quite high on the wall (hallelujah). The bar/restaurant is humble but comfortable, quiet, and has surprisingly decent food. Do not expect a selection of good restaurants within walking distance, but the Au Bon Pain at the base of the building is darn decent and again, super convenient to the Metro. You can buy your coffee and breakfast there and eat on the train. Wireless is not free, but I got good Verizon signal. And the room has a fridge. There's a 7-11 at the base of the building where you can get assorted small items; the quart-sized container of milk fits perfectly in the door of the fridge. All in all, if you are in DC for purely utilitarian purposes, not expecting to be charmed or entertained by your hotel, this is a respectable choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
BWI-CYTD, Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear that our hotel met your needs during your trip to Washington, DC. As you mentioned, we believe we located in a prime location for years to come being only a mile from the Capitol building and other attractions, and being located right next to a metro station makes it very easy for our guests to get just about anywhere in the city. Thank you again for your time and feedback, and we hope to see you again next time you are in Washington, DC!

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Only one person working the check in desk. Long wait.
Room was way down the hall past the conference rooms. Get in, and it's about 80 degrees in the room. Thermostat won't allow a temperature reduction.
Sirens all night. Stifling heat. Terrible stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephanie_5o3
BWI-CYTD, Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. Every bit of feedback only helps us improve the level of service we provide to each of our guests. I want to apologize for your less than satisfactory experience. We at Marriott are committed to providing you with the best service which is why we are disappointed to hear about your experience. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future to show you the high level of service we pride ourselves on. Thank you again for your review as we continue to improve our service.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

If you have stayed at a contemporary Courtyard (with the giant video wall, bar/gathering place, etc.), then this hotel will meet your expectations. The location is great. Right by the metro station. This would have been a 4*, but the staff were not very friendly or helpful. As merely one example, I called a head to make certain that we would have cab waiting at a specific time ... but no cab! In spite of the uninspired staff, this is about what you would expect out of a chain hotel like Courtyard.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
BWI-CYTD, Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear that our hotel met your expectations and that the location was a great fit for you. We do understand the frustrations of not being able to get a taxi and are currently working with a few taxi companies to improve the response time to our hotel. We hope that you will visit us in the future so that we can show you the type of "second-to-none" level of service that both we and our guests expect. Thank you again for taking the time to give us some feedback. Every bit we receive only helps us to improve the level of service we can offer our guests!

Reviewed 5 April 2014

The time we entered the hotel, the snow outside was threatening us but inside it was fabulous. The hotel is so good for many outsiders. Hotel is situated in a very nice corner where not much traffic, less than a minute walk to Metro, next door 7/11 on left, fast Indian Restaurant on the right and many other fast food shops the other side of the road. All so convenient, you do not need to hire a taxi or travel long for anything unless you are looking for some high end restaurants or shops.
The Courtyard hotel has a small Gym where you are warm up, then you can swim in a indoor pool.
Hotel has self service laundry but somehow the dryer was not performing well at the time of my use.

Room Tip: Rooms on top like 8 floor is better to have better views and less noise from roadside.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for your terrific review. I audited all of my responses for the reviews and noticed that my previous note to you did not post - so I am trying again. I apologize my 1st response was not sent by TA.

Your description of our offerings will definitely help other travelers...we appreciate that. Good news for everyone, the dryer was fixed!

Thanks again for staying with us - we hope to see you again

Regards,

M Wilson

Reviewed 4 April 2014

This Courtyard is a lot like them all...clean, comfortable rooms and friendly, efficient service staff. Average gym, larger pool, pleasant restaurant and bar. BUT, despite its name, it's a long way from most places including the Capitol and even further from museums. And, not a lot of choices for dining nearby.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CaFrancophile
BWI-CYTD, Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. Every bit of feedback helps us to improve the services we offer each of our guests. We are sorry to hear that the area was not conducive to your needs while you were here. Being the closest Courtyard hotel to the Capitol building at only one mile away, we believe we are located in a prime, up-and-coming area, and are looking forward to what this area is and will continue to be. We look forward to having more dining options within walking distance in the next few months, but currently recommend our guests take the short metro ride to Union Station and Gallery Place/Chinatown for many great dining options. Thank you again for choosing Courtyard by Marriott and we hope to be able to serve you again in the future!