“Great location near Metro”

Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol
Ranked #108 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
St. Augustine, Florida
“Great location near Metro”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was a good find for us, just steps away from the Metro and an easy ride to the Mall. The service and friendliness of the staff are outstanding, and we were always greeted with pleasantries. We came to DC to attend a formal event, and on the evening of the event, it was pouring rain. The staff immediately supplied umbrellas for us to take with us. The room was a fairly typical Courtyard Marriott room--clean and comfortable. We did not experience any noise from trains as did others in the review section. I also was not concerned walking to/from the Metro station at night. It is well lit and just steps from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank kww1421
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are pleased that our location served you well. All of our associates are dedicated and will be thrilled with your comments.

We appreciate your notes about the train and safety. We are fortunate that all trains must move slowly through our area, which silences track noise.

We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you for staying with us.

Regards,

M Wilson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Mill Hall, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I was very pleased with this hotel! It was extremely clean and the staff was very welcoming and kind! I was a bit worried when I read further down some of the reviews. Our room faced the tracks, but we didn't notice any noise. The staff met us at the door and took us to the front desk and helped us with our luggage and even took us to our car two times when we forgot items we needed. The price for parking was VERY fair. We paid $33 and parked from Friday morning until Saturday afternoon. They even let us keep our car there after we checked out! The location next to the metro was very nice. We had no troubles and no complaints! We will stay here again!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa L
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you very much for your review and kind words. The entire team will celebrate these comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed peaceful rest during your stay...I am sure you had alot of energy to tour the city!

We appreciate your comments about the parking experience. We work diligently to make sure our parking experience is helpful and priced appropriately with the other hotels in the city.

We are very excited to see you again in the future. Until then...safe travels!

All the best,

Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This review will be divided into two parts: The Super-Dupers (good things) and The Okey-Dokeys (areas for improvement - i.e. watch for these before booking)

The Super-Dupers

Service:
The service at this place is immaculate. Anywhere we went we were greeted with a smile, and a 'how are you'. The staff were helpful, attentive and friendly. We only had two minor issues with our room (couldn't open the safe, and room key didn't work once) - but these were solved within minutes.

The Room:
We had a spacious king-size bedroom, with a couch, coffee table, desk, armoir, TV stand and a large hallway area. It was very roomy. Everything was spotless clean and in working condition. The bed was firm but not too firm, the pillows were good, we had good night's sleeps for the entire stay (more on this later). There were extra pillows and blankets. The TV had lots of channels to choose from. The room (544) had two huge windows (corner room), so it was nice and light. The bathroom was spotless clean and the shower had a big shower head with good water pressure. Shampoo, conditioner and two soaps were provided. There was an iron, ironing board and blow dryer as well.

Location
Location of this hotel can be thought of as both good and just ok. It's good because it's literally right next to the train tracks, and the metro station. So, it's very easily accessible by metro (red line). It's located in the Noma neighbourhood, which seems to be mainly residential and business district. It's also good because it's close to (4 min walk) to two Capital Bike Share locations, if one is inclined to bike around the city. It takes about 20 minutes by bike to the National Mall (Capitol building), 20-25 minutes to Dupont Circle, and about 15 to Adams Morgan neighbourhood. It's by no means bad, since it's accessible easily, but it's not walking distance from the National Mall.

Wifi
Free and no password required!

The Okey-Dokeys

Location/Noise
Location is also on the Okey-Dokey section, precisely because it's thisclose to the train tracks, so depending on where one's room is, it can be noisy. We always bring ear plugs with us anywhere we go, so these saved us and despite our room directly facing the train tracks, we still had a good night's sleep every night. The trains are not constant as this metro station is not one of the main ones, but it may be a problem for light sleepers. To avoid this, one may want to request a room facing towards the street, away from the tracks, and on upper floors.

This is the only 'bad' thing about this hotel.

Other
There is a pool in the hotel (we saw some people in swimsuits, but didn't go in ourselves). There is an a la carte breakfast in the lobby. There is a computer and a printer for printing boarding passes in the lobby. There is a 7-Eleven right outside the hotel, and several cafes.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travel_Bug81
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for the incredibly detailed review. We appreciate you staying with us, but also appreciate the thoughtful effort that went into this review.

The team will be thrilled to read of your comments about their service and room cleanliness. I am new to the hotel, but already impressed with their commitment and genuine sense of hospitality.

We are pleased you enjoyed our location. Being next to the NoMa station on the Metro Red Line has proved convenient for so many people. The BikeShare is also a great amenity to the neighborhood.

I appreciate you keeping travelers informed about the location and unique layout of the hotel. We are glad that the Metro stops running at midnight on weekdays and is infrequent on the weekends...this reduces any distractions.

We hope to see you again on a future trip! Until then - safe travels!

Albany, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The hotel is very clean, staff is very welcoming and right by the metro station. We were impressed with the lobby (on the second floor) where they had Starbucks, a place to use several computers, a small market area. The bed was very comfortable and very conveniently located by the metro station. I don't know if I didn't hear any train sounds because we were in a higher floor, but it seemed pretty calm from our room. The only down side was that I didn't really like the neighborhood too much. I wouldn't really feel safe walking around there at night, however, during the day, it seemed fine. The people at the front door were fantastic and worked in a very timely manner.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sfonyc00
AlexandriaHotelMgt, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am very excited to share your comments with the team. We appreciate your recognition of our overall cleanliness and service. We celebrate these comments on a regular basis. I am glad you got to experience this 'newer' neighborhood. *Our neighborhood, "NoMa" (North of Massachusetts Ave) is the fastest growing neighborhood in DC and the first to offer free outdoor Wifi. We are excited to be one of the original tenants and a major reason for the transformation of the area since 2009.

If we can further assist you, please let us know.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you soon.

Tupelo, MS
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Location is steps from Metro-which was perfect for us as we had no vehicle - also had a 24 hour convenient store next door -- concierge recommended Clyde's for dinner-- it was great -- room clean- needed to use washer/dryer great - 5 guys across street - 1 stop from Union station

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
AlexandriaHotelMgt, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Thank you for your review and comments about our ideal location. We are glad that being next to the Metro serves the needs of all of our guests. Clyde's is a great restaurant, we are glad you tried it! We hope to see you again soon.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I will give you the good points of this hotel .. The location was ok about a 25 min walk to the main sights, however the metro station was just behind the hotel giving easy access to my places and the prices for tickets were great to..
Now the bad points we arrived in washing after an 8 hour flight to gave to stand in border security for 2 long hours ( the longest I have ever waited to enter the us and I've been 6 times ) we for a taxi to out hotel which cost $100 as it was nearly an hour away
We checked in ok I had booked a double guest room which showed on their web site consisted of 2 queens bed ..
We got to our room to find we were right behind the metro station and the trains were rearly loud, 1 bed and a small 2 seater couch.. My teenage kids 17 and 14 were horrified so I sent my husband to complain and the reception man told us the sofA pulled out and that was what I had booked so I showed him my documentation and he then said a double room can also mean a pull out sofa ?? I told him I had 2 teenagers that would not fit on the tiny sofa but he had no other double rooms till a few days later .. Tired and nearly in tears I went to out room and my hubby went down again and came back with a new key.. They moved us away from the trains but still only one bed
Even the maid said to us a few days later that she was surprised that we were not in a double bedded room !!
Food is expensive in the hotel however next to it is a fantastic supermarket were we got out drinks from
This holiday and hotel was booked through BA AND I WAS SURPRISED it was not as good as ba normally have on their website.. Also we had to wAit 20 mins for clean linen as the sheets were stained and dirty..
But Washington, D.C. Itself was every bit as amazing as I had expected loved the sights and would go back again but stay at a different hotel !

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Janet_M611
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for the time and effort it took to write this review. I am the new General Manager at the hotel and I certainly take these comments seriously. I understand very well how badly a long flight, customs and taxi drive can feel. I am so sorry that the room you were assigned was not where you expected and apparently the incorrect room type. The matter of the noise is very unfortunate and I wish that you and your family were not inconvenienced by this.

I will work with the front desk to discuss ways to better assist families with older children that need more space. We have recognized the need for improved linen and we replaced all linen in the hotel this week - a major project but worthwhile for sure.

Please feel free to call me at the hotel at 202-898-4000 if you would like to discuss other details of your stay.

Thank you for visiting our city and staying with Marriott
Florida
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This new hotel is next to a Metro station and that was perfect for us. The area is full of new construction so that eventually there will be much in the area. Also, Union Station is within walking distance in good weather. We will stay there again. We had adjoining rooms and enjoyed the sounds of the trains nearby. If you are picky about this, you might not be as happy, but the sound was pleasant for us.

Neasia and Dorian at the main desk were professional, pleasant and always smiling. The front door group were spectacular in speed, efficiency and smiles. I am sorry I didn't get their names. The entire group of "red coats" deserve praise.

Room Tip: Maybe away from the tracks, but I will request a room on the back near the trains!