“Really Great Stay”

Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol
Ranked #111 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is the perfect place to stay and enjoy the city. Washington has a great subway system and as long as you are close, you are in a good place. It eliminates the need for cabs to attractions and the airport or train station. The hotel itself was so safe, clean and friendly. I didn’t want to leave. And if I did have to go, I wanted to take that bed with me. It was so comfortable. The room was very quiet (although I was on the street side away from the trains) and there are several good restaurants and fast food places on the block. There is even a Seven 11 right next door. It is only one subway stop to Union Station, which means you can be there in five minutes and on the National Mall in 10. I just can’t say enough good things about this place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank GoGoGo82
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for the review. We appreciate your comments about our convenient location. The train system is a terrific way to navigate the city. We are happy to learn that you were also able to get some rest while staying with us on one of our comfortable beds!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a night with my family during my recent visit to Washington DC. We reached early, at 9am, after a tiring overnight journey from Boston. Though the check-in time is 3pm, when we approached the front desk with a request for early check-in ,we were immediately given the room keys. This hotel is located next to the Metro Red station, so commuting was easy and affordable. Service is excellent, as is expected from the Mariott group, with friendly staff from the concierge to the front desk persons.Wifi was a bit slow at times, but otherwise, we had a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the trailines are quieter
1  Thank peekaygee4
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for your review. We are glad you were able to bring your family down from Boston. I am sure an overnight train ride was tough! We always work hard to honor early arrival requests...I am pleased to learn that this worked well for you.

Our unique location works well for so many people...I am happy you're family enjoyed it as well. There are so many things to see in DC, and our location serves us well!

Our team never gets tired of reading positive reviews about their service and friendliness. I apologize that your WiFi was slower than expected. We are currently upgrading our service... which will be helpful for your next visit. If you have a moment, please email me regarding your room number. I can be reached directly at mike.wilson@marriott.com. I welcome the chance to stay connected, and I would like to personally audit the room with my iPad and laptop to see if I can improve the signal in that particular location.

Thanks again for the review, and for trusting us with your family's vacation.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

When I told my friend who lives in DC that I was staying here, she was a little nervous about the location. Was it safe, she asked. The immediate area outside the hotel is but it is in redevelopment district that has had its problems in the past but I always felt safe. However the nature of the area if probably reflected by having to insert your room card into the elevator to access the hotel from the lobby.

Within 1 minute walk of the hotel is a branch of Au Bon Pain (great croissants), a 7-11, Five Guys and an Indian restaurant, a gyros/sandwich joint. And of course most important of all the NOMA/Gallaudet U (sometimes called by its old name New York Avenue) metro stop.

The rooms are typical Marriott Courtyard standard and are well maintained, comfortable and very clean, Everything you need for a hotel stay.

Noise

Firstly, if you have a room with a connecting door and noisy guests in the next room you can hear everything.

Secondly, some of the rooms look over the railway tracks (all the traffic from Union Station PLUS the metro) and this means LOTS of noise continuously from before dawn to late at night. I always bring ear plugs when I stay at a hotel and if you have one of these rooms I suggest you do as well! If you are a light sleeper you may want to ask for a different room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank adsk
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for your detailed review. It seems that you quickly discovered that our neighborhood has transformed since your friend was last familiar with the area. We are now in a neighborhood known as "NoMa". NoMa is a moniker for "North of Massachusetts Ave" and is the fastest growing neighborhood in DC. The daytime population swells to 55,000 while 18,000 permanent residents call NoMa "home".

I like that you mentioned how seriously we take security by requiring key access to guest floors. We actually made this commitment years ago, not out of necessity, but as a promise to elevate the feeling of security for our government guests and tourists. Naturally, all guests love it!

Thank you for pointing out the many restaurants nearby. I hope you had a change to try our Bistro during your stay. I will share your comments about the room cleanliness and maintenance. Our associates are very dedicated and will be excited to hear you are recognizing them.

I apologize if there was an inconvenience with noise. I personally know how unsettling that can be if a neighbor chooses to make noise. We always encourage every guest to let us know if there is an issue, so that we can assist. If you have a moment, I welcome a note from you to my email at mike.wilson@marriott.com so that I may learn what room you visited. I would love a chance to personally audit this room for train noise to see if I can assist with addressing the issue. I have been pleased that WMATA rebuilt the tracks outside the hotel in the past several months. I have been in many rooms when Amtrak or Metro cruise by and have heard nothing, so I would welcome a chance to check this room.

We appreciate your recent visit. It sounds like you are very familiar with the Courtyard brand. Thank you for your loyalty. We hope to see you again.

Safe travels.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for four nights last weekend. Hotel is in a great location and right beside the Metro Red Line Stop and within walking distance of Union Station. Internet in room was slow and I had to be standing beside the door to get a connection but other than that it was great.

1  Thank STEVEN D
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you staying with us for 4 nights and hope your trip to DC was memorable. We are always happy to see that our great location benefits so many people whether in town for business or seeing the sights.

I am so sorry that there was a slow connection for your internet service...I know how frustrating that must be not to be able to connect at desired speeds. I would appreciate the chance to learn more about what room you stayed in during your visit. Please email me at mike.wilson@marriott.com if it's convenient for you. I would love a chance to stay connected and also to focus on that specific room.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Only had two nights at this Hotel BUT what a great stay, right from my arrival I was treated like a
V I P, friendly greeting from Concierge and other door staff reception were very helpful and knowledgeable.

The room was spacious and clean, bathroom and shower are of the type that should be made standard in every hotel, absolutely perfect.

Having driven from NYC to Washington DC all I wanted on arrival was to shower and have a meal, so went to the in house Bar-Restaurant, bar staff were cheerful and happy serving great food and drinks, then a nice long sleep in a queen size bed that was so comfortable I just wanted to bring it home with me

This was one of the best hotels I have stayed in for a long time, I would recommend this hotel to any traveler staying in D C, just a 2 minute walk to Metro Station or 2 minutes the other way to the Bus stop.

I can't rate this hotel high enough, every staff member I met during my stay seemed to enjoy their work and were happy to give any assistance they could

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Wiperman
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Good Day. Thank you for the thoughtful review. I appreciate your comments about the reception staff and how knowledgeable they are. The kind words about cleanliness will also be appreciated by our Housekeeping Department!

I find your comments inspirational - in 2 nights, you could quickly see what makes us great...our beds, our amenities, our restaurant, our team, and especially our location.

The associates take great pride in the service they deliver. Your comments certainly reinforce their efforts - and I thank you on their behalf.

.We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just stayed at this hotel which is 9 blocks from Union Station and located at the end of the block from the red line metro. I was concerned about the neighborhood and found that it's actually a great neighborhood. You can come out of the metro at NoMa, go out the entrance and turn right and your 200 feet from the front entrance. They have a bellman that controls who does/does not come into the hotel. The lobby is on the second floor. I had 8 rooms for 3 nights. I checked out several of the rooms and they were all very nice. Typical courtyard rooms. Clean, comfortable, great place to stay. The only downfall is my room was on the 4th floor and they gave me a handicap room. It was a corner room with lots of space. Nice room the only downside was the room was right above the subway station. From midnight to 5am the subway is not running but from 5am to midnight you could clearly hear the subway pulling into the station and departing the station. I had 7 other rooms and asked the people I had I those rooms if they could hear the subway and they could not.

The hotel has a nice snack bar and they offered a breakfast but we felt that for the cost we could take the subway one stop to union station and get a choice of breakfasts for less. We have each person $10 for breakfast at union station and they all had money left over.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

The only bad part was we came in late and had called ahead and they assured us that the room keys would be ready. They were not. For some reason when you have a group they don't seem to want to have your room keys ready. We arrived just after midnight. Now the deal is if we don't show up they are going to charge the card for one night so if that they case why can't they have the keys ready when you arrive. I'm a Marriott Gold member and even that didn't get me keys printed. The bad thing was we were exhausted and the lack of room keys pre done ment we had to keep 20 kids sitting in the lobby for an additional 10 minutes waiting for keys. Not a big deal but a bit of a frustration.

Room Tip: Might ask for a room not facing the subway station. Liked having the subway close but didn't wan...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Geogh3
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for the wonderfully detailed review and for placing your group with us. You described our location perfectly - we really are close to everything DC has to offer.

I am sorry that the only room available at the time was an accessible room. As you noticed these rooms are quite spacious. I apologize if there was occasional noise from the trains. In 2014, there was alot of trackwork that silenced the noise. Additionally, all Metro and Amtrak trains are supposed to slow down when passing our area. I am sorry you experienced noise, but I am glad the other 7 rooms did not.

I will share your comments with the entire team, including Housekeeping. They love reading when guests leave positive comments about cleanliness.

We are glad you had a chance to try our Bistro. We have an expanded menu with great breakfast and dinner options.

I sincerely appreciate your recommendation for others to stay here. Your comments validate the hard work and dedication of our team, and we could not be happier for your recommendation.

Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. We hope to see you again soon.

M Wilson

Ps. I am sorry about the delay at arrival. Since your group stayed with us, we have been flawless in the pre-keying of group rooms to make the check-in experience easier.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Basic Marriott with extremely friendly and helpful staff. The room was very basic and nothing special. The beds were sort of hard and the temperature controls were not working, which really marred the night's sleep. But the staff members were uniformly pleasant and Thomas was wonderfully accommodating, offering us an unexpected free breakfast. All in all, the staff really makes this property stand out.

Room Tip: Ask to avoid the side of the hotel where the trains run
1  Thank andrew l
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you very much for the review. I am so very sorry that your experience with the bed and temperature controls was less than acceptable. A good night's rest is so important when you are in town to see the sights, and I apologize your sleep was not sound. I assure you those experiences are not common.

Thank you for your comments about the team, especially Thomas. We are pleased that our dedicated team and memorable service helped us stand out.

Please contact me at mike.wilson@marriott.com if you have a moment. I would appreciate the chance to stay connected and also learn which room you are in so I can address the issues you mentioned.

We are glad you stayed with us and we hope to see you again soon.