“Great location, better service”

Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol
Ranked #109 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
“Great location, better service”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I travel a lot. So I have seen my fair share of good and bad hotels and service.

From the time we checked in until our departure at every point we came across somebody with a smile on their face and willingness to help and answer questions. This is far from the norm. Housekeepers stopped what they were doing and said Hello and asked "How are you?". If you looked like you had a question staff asked "How can we help?" I observed this multiple times as I would get coffee in the morning and be in the lobby.

After observing all this, I spoke to the GM MIke WIlson. It was evident after our discussion that my experience was not a chance happening, but an attitude and a way of doing business from the top down, as he led by example"

My favorite story was on Sunday morning I had asked about a Sunday paper and they did not carry them, so I went on my way. I came back later and asked a separate question and then was asked if I had gotten a paper and I replied "No, I will get one later" the gentleman replied I have 1 for you" 5 minutes later I was given a newspaper! I later learned that the staff member went and bought the paper for me!! Wow!!

I highly recommend staying here. Convenient location and stellar service.

We will be back!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank RobAmes1
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you again for the terrific feedback. It was so great to speak with you and your daughter and learn the stories about our staff going above and beyond at every turn. We all hope the meeting with the police chief went as well as you were hoping. Your daughter seems very talented and it's easy to see she has a bright future. I am sure her meeting the chief was very special.

We hope to see you again soon. I look forward to staying connected and serving you again in the future.

Safe travels and best to the family,

M Wilson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
East Setauket, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights in a suite. Which is way larger than the hotel description. No complaints on the room except we faced the train and it was a little noisy. Not the greatest area. Although the next block over is very nice. Always someone standing nearby the hotel entrance asking for money. Very convenient to the metro. No complimentary coffee. Each morning when I went down for coffee they were always out of something, either, coffee, cream or sticks. It just seemed like they needed more staff to keep up with the upkeep of the hotel. Not a bad place but not great either. Wouldn't go back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Susiedoody
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for the review and for staying with us for 5 days. It sounds like the room and extra space worked well for you. Our convenience to Metro is so helpful to all of our guests - we are glad you enjoyed it.

I am sorry to read your comments about someone standing near the hotel asking for money. We restrict access to the area immediately in front of our building, however as with every major city there are occasional interactions that cause us to raise an eyebrow from time to time. My experience in DC for the past 10 years is that everyone I see is very friendly and respectful.

I am sorry to hear that you don't plan to be back. Perhaps you can email me at mike.wilson@marriott.com and we can discuss further. I'd welcome the chance to stay connected.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I chose this hotel since it is so close to both the Metro and Union Station for a weekend DC sightseeing trip and baseball game for one adult and two kids. I'm very happy with my choice thanks to the many TripAdvisor reviews. The Metro stop is adjacent to the hotel entrance. Enter on the first floor through a secure area and checkin is on the second floor. Elevators require room keys to use. Our room was clean, nice, and consistent with the Marriott Courtyard brand. Our room overlooked the tracks which was fun for the kids. There was almost no noise from the trains right below our 7th floor window. For food, good offerings are slim - 5 Guys Burgers, McDonalds, Au Bon Pain, Burger King, A Deli, and a few others. We actually walked to the hotel from Union Station since the Metro had a broken down train. The walk was 20 min through mostly business areas, but I would not walk this area after dark. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The metro beyond the hotel was closed for repair, but going towards Union Station / downtown was fine.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Bill B
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed our convenient location. Being adjacent to Metro really connects our hotel guests to all parts of the city. Hope you enjoyed the baseball game...and I hope your team won!

The team will be excited to read about your comments about their service and cleanliness. That's really great that the kids enjoyed the trains - it's always fascinating for the kids to imagine where others are traveling.

Sorry about the train breakdown and that you walked from Union Station. Thankfully, Union Station is within sight of the hotel and not far. Train delays of that nature are rare.

We appreciate you staying with us and look forward to hopefully seeing you again.

Safe Travels,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The whole process from check in and check out was a breeze. A big plus! The room was clean and comfortable. This hotel is safe at nighttime as you have to use your room card to enter the building and the elevator. As two ladies staying alone in a room, we felt safe. The location of this hotel is excellent as there is a short distance to the Metro which will take you away to any places in DC. Wifi was FREE which was another BIG plus. 7-11 store is close to the hotel so it is easy for you to pick up drinks or snacks before going to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank beachfreak01
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for the review and kind words. I am glad you're entire process checking in and out was "a breeze"! The Housekeeping Department will enjoy learning about your positive note about cleanliness.

We are pleased that you noted how safe the hotel is and our location being ideal for visiting our beautiful city. The NoMa Metro Station being next door is a huge plus!

We hope your travels bring you back to the DC area and to our hotel!

lititz, pa
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My mother and I stayed here for two nights because my uncle had surgery at George Washington Medical Center. The room was nice and clean and comfortable. From check-in to check-out was easy and quick. Was very happy because I left my wallet in the room and a week later they found it and sent it to me! It had been untouched, money and cards intact! The staff was courteous, kind and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank annemarieo
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for the review. We are glad you and your mother had a wonderful experience. We hope your uncle is well and recovering nicely. I remember the missing wallet and we were very excited to be able to reunite the wallet with its owner!

We appreciate the kind words about the staff! We hope to see you again in the future, under better circumstances.

Safe Travels to you and your Mother...and wishing a speedy recovery to your Uncle!

Regards,

Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here July 4. Room was clean, modern and comfortable, though a bit small (had a single king). We used it only for sleeping. The room was extremely quiet - no noise from outside. Use of the valet is mandatory, and the hotel charges $33 for it, which is too high; this is the sole reason for 4 stars instead of 5 (but need to note that the valet staff were extremely friendly and accommodating; among the best I've encountered).
Hotel is directly across the street from a 5 Guys burger joint and and another sandwich shop, and has an Indian place downstairs. More importantly, it's immediately next to a Metro stop (NoMa - Red line). This made it a perfect location for us to work from for the day. National Zoo is also on the Red line, and the Mall is one transfer off the line, so a $14 one-day pass got us everywhere with no parking hassle.
Would definitely stay here again, as long as we got a good enough rate to offset the parking cost.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gordy P
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you trusting us with your family vacation and hope you enjoyed our city over the holiday weekend. Thank you also for your comments about the valet department. Their prices are based on the prevailing market rates for overnight parking services - our goal is that guest vehicles experience a quiet and safe environment to rest...just as their owners!

It sounds like our location (near restaurants and metro) served you well and that you could avoid the parking issues in our city.

Thank you for the interest in staying here again. We look forward to staying connected with you and serving you in the future.

Dededo
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Everything you would expect from a Marriott but the location right next to the Metro line is terrific for the tourist. It's about a half-hour ride to the National Mall.

As mentioned in other reviews, the restaurant is expensive but there are a number of restaurants in the area, directly across the street and just around the corner. There is also a grocery store and a drug store around the corner.

The hotel staff was polite and professional; the rooms and common area clean. There is a pool, workout room and even laundry room. However, the laundry room has only one washer and one dryer; and the dryer is very inefficient--I would suggest that management purchase new ones that both work better and are energy conservative and perhaps buy two of each!

One last note about this hotel is its hearing-impaired awareness. There are several rooms that are designed to host hearing impaired guests. I also noticed that several of the staff with familiar with basic ASL signs! Apparently there is a college nearby that has a very prominent program for the hearing-impaired and the hotel does a terrific job accommodating them! Kudos!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the street side (or away from the Metro tracks).
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jim r
Thank you for your review and loyalty to Marriott. We are glad you enjoyed our location and quick-access to the city. Our area of DC is very pedestrian-friendly, and we are glad you discovered the grocery store just 2 blocks away.

Our dedicated staff is amazing and we are excited that you agree!

We appreciate the feedback about our guest laundry machines, we are actually in the process of improving that room and adding a 2nd unit. We expect delivery within 1 month.

Perhaps the most enjoyable part about reading your review is that you seemed to have noticed our focus on guest with hearing impairments. We are located near Gallaudet University, the first school for the advanced education of the deaf and hard of hearing in the world and remains the only higher education institution in which all programs and services are specifically designed to accommodate deaf and hard of hearing students. (Source: Wikipedia). We value being their neighbors and want to make sure our hotel is a place all can enjoy.

Thank you for the kind words. We hope to see you again.