“Good place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol
Ranked #106 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We were there for one night. Very clean and friendly staff. Closed to Au Bon Pain for good coffee. Expensive on site parking, but in DC, they are quite rare. Reasonnable rates. Nationals Park not too far. Fast valet service.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments about the staff and our terrific location. I am glad you got to enjoy a nearby restaurant.

We appreciate your comment about our reliable and quick valet service! Hopefully, we will see you again soon!

M Wilson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Friendly and helpul
staff,standard room is very big, comfortable bed, big bathroom and very close to subway! In the room i had Also a big sofa. Although it is close to metro is very silent. I found price was good, I heartily recommand it!

Room Tip: Street side
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank francesca976
Thank you for the review. It was great to meet you and welcome you from Milan. We appreciate the comments about our location, staff and comfort.

We hope to see you again! Ciao!

Safe travels!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I spent 3 days at this hotel during the week of August 11, 2014. First, the pros: nice clean hotel room with a modern bathroom. Free wifi access and friendly staff. Only steps away from the NoMa - Gallaudet U (New York Ave) metro stop for the red line. Some people complain about train noise in the middle of the night, but I had a room on the opposite side of the hotel from the train station, and I didn't hear any noise at all. The bistro restaurant doesn't have a wide variety on the menu, but the food is decent, especially if you don't want to venture out into the surrounding area (more on that below).

Now, the cons: the biggest issue is the location - it's a rough neighborhood. The nearest metro station is on the corner, but I encountered some animated homeless people on the short walk from the hotel's main entrance down to the corner. When you walk out through the main entrance and make a left, the business immediately next door is a 7-11. Several homeless people were in front of the 7-11 at all hours of the day and night. One homeless woman asked me for money, saying she wanted to buy a belt to hang herself...

You will also pass through an area on the way to the hotel that is economically depressed. Speaking of traveling to the hotel, the address listed on the website to use with your GPS gets you to the vicinity of the hotel, but you wind up in a you-can't-get-there-from-here situation. You will be able to see the hotel, but there won't be any safe/legal way to turn to actually get there. I wound up turning my car into the employees-only valet parking garage, which by the way is the only parking option and costs a whopping $33/night plus tax.

The layout of the hotel is a little unusual, as the front desk is on the second floor. Also, the front desk isn't really the traditional "desk" area that most hotels have, but rather 3 individual stations resembling podiums with their own lines.

All in all, the hotel is clean and adequate and very close to the metro station and features a friendly staff, but is difficult to find with a GPS, in a rough part of town, with homeless people immediately outside the main entrance, and pretty expensive parking. Also, the Five Guys burger joint across the street destroyed my stomach...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful review of the hotel. We appreciate all of your comments and will celebrate the positive news about the staff and our cleanliness.

As you noted, our location to the Metro is perfect for people seeing DC. We are pleased your experience was quiet and restful.

Washington, DC is a wonderful city to visit, however from time to time people encounter some situations with people that are not ideal. If this ever happens in our part of DC, we encourage guests to keep us informed and let us know how we can assist. Our first priority is safety and security of our guests. We are proud to have 24-hour security and controlled access to guest floors, ensuring only registered guests enter the building. Our security measures are not out of necessity in DC, however we made a choice to go above-and-beyond with our guests as occasionally our guests are unfamiliar with the city.

Our neighborhood, NoMa (North of Mass Ave) is the fastest growing area in DC and is actually in year 6 of a ten year improvement plan. Located next to the ATF and Dept Of Justice HQ, we enjoy additional local security.

I am very sorry that you had GPS challenges with locating our hotels. As a new neighborhood, many dashboard-mounted GPS systems have not absorbed the new streets. When using a dash-mount, please use 200 Florida Ave as our address. SmartPhone and updated dash-mount systems may use 1325 2nd Street NE. As the area continuously evolves, we look forward to a new stop light next to the hotel that will assist guests with turns and changing directions. (Coming in September).

Perhaps one of our unique design elements is that the building entrance is located on the first floor, while the hotel is located on the 2nd floor. Designing of the 1st floor into retail space provides additional options for our guests for shopping.

Your experience and memories are important to all of us. Please let me know when you will be back to the area, I would love to stay connected and help in any way.

Aruba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Hardly any Internet, very expensive parking, In all personnel very friendly, especially Hasseed, but rotten attitude of restaurant cashier offsets it all. Not at advertised near Union Station, it's a good 20 minute walk.

Room Tip: I thought it on the expensive side and very small
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank Roy M
Thank you for the review. We appreciate the comments about Haseeb, and take very seriously the concern about the restaurant cashier.

I welcome a chance to learn more about which room you were in so that I can personally address the internet concern. Additionally, I would like to know specifically which associate needs additional training in our restaurant. My email is mike.wilson@marriott.com. I would love to stay connected.

Staunton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my daughters for the One Direction concert. The hotel was beautiful, safe, and comfortable. Room was generously sized, and there was a convenient mini fridge. There is a fee for valet parking and I would highly recommend it. Worth every penny.
There are only a few things that I didn't like - the restaurant is expensive and not what I would look for traveling with two children. Also, there is only one mirror, and it's in the bathroom.
Staff is friendly and attentive, and I'd recommend with confidence.

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for the review. We all heard the concert was memorable. Thank you for choosing our hotel for a fun trip with your daughter.

We appreciate you letting others know about our safety, comfort and other amenities. Many guests enjoy parking their cars with us and using the metro system.

Thank you for the feedback on the restaurant and the mirror - we will take those comments into consideration as we constantly look for ways to improve.

We hope to see you again. Until then...safe travels!

Regards,

Punta Allen, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Good News = It's right by the Metro stop!
Bad News = It's right by the train tracks!
The sounds were more noticeable than actually annoying.
All the staff are friendly and helpful.
If you want to economize, several fast food places are in immediate neighborhood.

The DC Metro prices have increased dramatically, so we recommend this close in location.

Room Tip: Front side rooms are farther from tracks.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank jacjsc
Thank you for the review of our hotel. We are pleased that you liked our location and found the staff helpful. I am very sorry you experiences a noise issue during your stay, as I know that can be frustrating. Please let us know when you will be back, I'd love to stay connected and assist with a future reservation.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

When we checked in, we were given our keys and sent on our way. They neglected to tell us that we needed the room key to operate the elevator. Also, their laundry facility (1 washer & 1 dryer) was not working properly - apparently from lack of maintenance. Save up your $$ & stay closer to town.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank RV1994
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your review. I sincerely value your opinion and feedback. It is our goal to create a memorable experience for each of our guests. It seems that in your case, we failed to do so. I am terribly sorry to hear of this.

Our system was designed to require room keys for elevator controls. Clearly, we need to improve our communication of that process - and I assure you, we will.

I am also sorry to learn of your frustration with the washer/dryer. We are in the middle of an expansion and plan to add an additional machine to assist with high volume usage periods. This is an important improvement that we are actively seeking as well.

We would be honored if you stayed with us again. If possible, I'd like to personally be involved in your next experience. I can be reached directly at 202-898-4000 or email at mike.wilson@marriott.com. We hope to see you again here or at a future Marriott hotel.